Federal program for alternative transportation funding is on the chopping block- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Federal program for alternative transportation funding is on the chopping block

An important funding program that aids local municipalities in funding infrastructure for bicycles and other alternative transportation is at serious risk and may be axed tomorrow. Here is the info.

https://www.votervoice.net/BikeLeagu.../36544/Respond

Copied from elsewhere:

"Tomorrow the Senate Finance Committee is voting on a finance plan to fund the Highway Trust Fund through December.

There is an amendment from Senator Toomey (PA) that will strip funding for the Transportation Alternatives Program, which is one of the major sources for bicycle and pedestrian infrastructure projects. Here is the wording and links for this amendment:

Short Title: To reserve federal transportation funds for national infrastructure priorities.

Description: No funds distributed from the Highway Trust Fund established in Title 26, Sec. 9503 of the United States Code may be spent for the purpose of operating the Federal Transportation Alternatives Program

http://www.finance.senate.gov/imo/me...PATH%20Act.pdf
    http://www.finance.senate.gov/imo/me...une26.2014.pdf

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Signed

mtbr member
    likewise

We have a lot of cool bicycle infrastructure in PA, hopefully enough residents appreciate it to send Toomey a strong message.
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

mtbr member
    This pisses me off. The government puts all this effort into making emissions standards stricter on cars. Screw the people who really go the extra mile to reduce their emissions though. They have offered tax incentives for people who buy hybrids, but those of us with zero emissions get screwed time and time again. I wish the government would stop thinking so car-centric and start working to move our society in a direction that isn't so dependent on automobiles.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    He is submitting it to a committee chaired by Senator Ron Wyden of Oregon. Tom Carpenter of Delaware also sits on the committee, both of these guys are very pro bike/pedestrian. I doubt it ever makes it out of the committee.

Our local bike blog has an article about this and it is titled "U.S. Senator from Pennsylvania Wastes Everyone’s Time".