favorite platforms for commuting- Mtbr.com
    since 4/10/2009

favorite platforms for commuting

I'll be finishing my commuter build in the next week or two, and need to grab a few final parts. One item on my list would be a set of pedals. I run CB Candy SL's on my MTB and I have some pinned bmx platforms on my current commuter/mtb. I like the platform part, but the pins chew up my footwear a bunch.

I've seen a handful of options for city bikes, but a lot of them just look like cheap pedals. I'll use something like that if that's what fits (I'm possibly looking at the ones with built-in blinkie yellow LED's) but I'm curious if anyone has any strong favorites otherwise.

weirdo
    MKS makes a smooth faced aluminum platform pedal. I used a set on my roadie for a year or so- quality is a little less than I expected from MKS (rough casting), but still pretty good. I`d still be using them if the platforms were a little bigger. I`m kicking around the idea of welding on a little more, but can measure them "as is" and let you know exactly how big they are if you`re interrested in ordering a set.

MKS GR-9 Platform Pedal - harriscyclery.net

Moderator Moderator
    I would hate to give up the pinned part of my platforms, I love the grip. I would consider better shoes that won't get chewed up. My Five Ten Impacts show no signs of wear.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I have 2 sets of Gusset Pinhead Pedals ($20-$35) which I love. They are plastic with metal pins. The pins aren't the typical "hardcore" style, but they provide adequate traction.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountfargo.com

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    I would hate to give up the pinned part of my platforms, I love the grip. I would consider better shoes that won't get chewed up. My Five Ten Impacts show no signs of wear.
    my whole point of wanting pedals that won't chew up my footwear is so I don't need to have shoes just for biking. If I was going to do that, I'd just go clipless

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    X2
    Especially in wet conditions - foot slipping off at the start of a green light
    Honestly... ahh I give up

~Disc~Golf~
    nate, what's your footwear?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Looking at trying BMX resin pedals. Not expensive, and have pins molded into the plastic. They come in cool colors as well.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll View Post
    nate, what's your footwear?
    anything from Chacos to running shoes to Asolo boots depending on what I need to do that day and the weather.

Looking at trying BMX resin pedals. Not expensive, and have pins molded into the plastic. They come in cool colors as well.
    I was looking at some of these at my LBS today. They might work, but was curious if they'd provide enough traction.

Yeah, I don't want my feet slipping off the pedals, but I don't think rain will be much of a concern for me for a very long time.

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    anything from Chacos to running shoes to Asolo boots depending on what I need to do that day and the weather.

I was looking at some of these at my LBS today. They might work, but was curious if they'd provide enough traction.

Yeah, I don't want my feet slipping off the pedals, but I don't think rain will be much of a concern for me for a very long time.
    got a Dremel or similar? maybe shape the pins a bit?
    many stock ones (that screw from the inside - as opposed from the even skinnier hex-head ones) have burrs.
    rounding them off (maybe even favoring a direction [i.e. F<->R]) might be the ticket.

mtbr member
    Shimano A530 SPD Touring Pedals
    F88me самолюбивый член

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll View Post
    got a Dremel or similar? maybe shape the pins a bit?
    many stock ones (that screw from the inside - as opposed from the even skinnier hex-head ones) have burrs.
    rounding them off (maybe even favoring a direction [i.e. F<->R]) might be the ticket.
    that's an idea.

I'll take a look at the platforms on my HT. they're pinned platforms that chew up footwear. they haven't done much to my chacos or boots, but they've absolutely chewed my old running shoes to hell to the point that they're my yard work shoes now.

mtbr member
    For a non-pinned have you looked at Ergon's PC2?
    ERGON BIKE ERGONOMICS

since 4/10/2009
    Hm, I didn't know Ergon had a pedal. Love my GA1 grips, though, so I have no doubt the pedal would be well built.

mtbr member
    I'm planning on switching to the MKS Grip Kings:

MKS Grip King Pedals

I'm also pretty tired of my BMX style pedals ripping up my shoes, and there's a shop in town that stocks these. Open bearings, which I don't love, but at least they'll be easy to service.

mtbr member
    Crank Brother 5050 pedals are pretty nice. You can get them cheap right now if you know where to look. I snagged a set for $42 off Jenson USA.

I have a set on each of my bikes and a set of Wellgo MG-1 pedals on another.

They are clean looking and aren't overly grippy like the MG-1 pedals.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by Doughnut Spaghetti View Post
    They are clean looking and aren't overly grippy like the MG-1 pedals.
    Overly grippy? How`s that?

I`m planning a new build this winter, and thinking hard about those MG-1s. Compared to the pinned pedals I have on my commuter/tourer, those are roughly the same platform size, and I could lose about 100g for an extra $20.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    Overly grippy? How`s that?

I`m planning a new build this winter, and thinking hard about those MG-1s. Compared to the pinned pedals I have on my commuter/tourer, those are roughly the same platform size, and I could lose about 100g for an extra $20.
    At times I have issues moving my feet around on the pedals. Think setting youself up to hop a curb, that you have to get over quickly. Sometimes the pedals just won't let me move my feet without lifting them off my pedals creating some issues for me. They use set screws which can really cut into things. I've really cut my shins up on them many times and that includes carrying my bike up steps and brushing against the pedals.

The Crank Bros pins aren't so sharp. They grip, but not enough to stop small movements to get you in balance with your bike. They are also larger and easier to find when you put your foot back on the pedal from jumping or balancing youself. There just a better engineered pedals. But, they are heavier than the MG-1 pedals. The new 5050 pedals are supposed to be lighter though.

weirdo
    I can see that about having to pick up your foot. I do have that issue, and now that you mention it, it can and be a hassle at times. Now that you`ve pointed it out, it`s going to bug me for ever. Thanks, buddy

The 50/50s look like they`re still a little heavier than the MG-1s. The Jenson writeup for them says they have real bearings, which would probably explain the weight difference- my Wellgos (B-25s) only have ball bearings on one end, and I think the MGs also use a plain bushing where the CBs have roller bearings. I guess we just can`t have our cake and eat it too.

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    I can see that about having to pick up your foot. I do have that issue, and now that you mention it, it can and be a hassle at times. Now that you`ve pointed it out, it`s going to bug me for ever. Thanks, buddy
    ESPECIALLY sucks at intersection restarts where you really have to be focused and that little misplacement distracts the fcuk out of you until you are clear, seated and can get reset

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I've had the Ergon pedals for a couple days now and so far they're great. Better grip than whatever I had before. No rain yet, but that will be fixed in two days. I'll let y'all know how they fair.

Moderator Moderator
    I am considering the plastic Deity's for my snowbike...partly because I love the metal ones on my MTB & partly because they might be marginally warmer for the feet. 346gr & $50. Overly grippy!

From BikeRumour
    ...Deity is also introducing the plastic bodied Compound pedal. While the Compound will be the Decoy’s cheaper brother, don’t think that means the Compound will be the run of the mill plastic pedal. Stacked with features such as double sealed bearings, user serviceability, and replaceable pins, the Compound is sure to be a hit.

From Deity:
    ... Injection molded from a Nylon Fiber blend, the Compound Pedal’s non-exclusive mold utilizes 6 replaceable Cr-MO pins per side and has a super thin profile.

From Downhill, Dirt Jumping, Street, 20″, to even All Mountain, the deity Compound pedals thrive in many settings and with the replaceable Cr-mo pins, traction is phenomenal.

Spinning on a DU Bushing and double micro sealed bearing system, the deity Compound pedals will be 100% serviceable. You heard right…we will also be offering replacement pedal bodies, pin kits, internals, spindles, etc., so as you tear up a pedal…you can rebuild it with ease and save your precious dinero.

Gone are the days of throwing away a cheap plastic pedal every month and what is even better…we plan to retail the deity Compound pedal for $45!

A set of plastic pedals with replaceable Cr-mo pins, that are fully rebuildable, are thinner than most aluminum pedals, weigh only 346g for the set, and will retail for $45! We think that is tough to beat.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails favorite platforms for commuting-deity-pedal-3compound.jpg  

Bicycle Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Saxon9598 View Post
    Shimano A530 SPD Touring Pedals
    +1 On the A530s
    The unexamined life is not worth living - Socrates
    Bearded Women Racing

jrm
    mtbr member

Wellgo

BMX pedals. Theyre a good value @ $18 and mine seem to hold up well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

... and if we just ... Fly Bikes graphite Resin pedals

I use FlyBikes graphite/resin pedals on my rigid mtb commuter and on my 24" BMX crusier that I ride on the weekends at the local BMX track. They give plenty of stability and grip in work shoes for street or skate shoes for landing a big step up and they retail for $19.00 online and at the lbs.

The square edge pins are plenty grippy and the graphite impregnated resin is more durable than softer plastics. I cant complain.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails favorite platforms for commuting-pedals.png  

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jody43 View Post
    I use FlyBikes graphite/resin pedals on my rigid mtb commuter and on my 24" BMX crusier that I ride on the weekends at the local BMX track. They give plenty of stability and grip in work shoes for street or skate shoes for landing a big step up and they retail for $19.00 online and at the lbs.

The square edge pins are plenty grippy and the graphite impregnated resin is more durable than softer plastics. I cant complain.
    I think those are the ones my LBS stocks. I was checking them out recently and I think it's what I'll be putting on my new commuter.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    I have Odyssey Twisted PC pedals on my bmx bike. I ride street and skateparks on it and I rarely have a problem with my feet slipping. they are cheap, colorful, and last a long time. I have had them on my bike for several years.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Installed some Black OPs resins. Very nice. Light, good grip, and red in color.