fatty fat commuter- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

fatty fat commuter

I finally weighed my bike w/my commute crap(laptop, clothes, lunch, toolkit, lock), 51lbs!!!!

wayne
    89 Univega HT -???-
    92 Specd SJ HT M2 -stolen-
    92 Specd SJ HT M2 -sold-
    94 Specd SJ HT M2 -sold-
    97 Klien Mantra -sold-
    01 Specd enduro FSR
    02 Specd enduro FSR -sold-
    04 Specd stumpjumper FSR
    05 Specd enduro FSR Sworks

weirdo
    Pretty fat. I weighed mine with everything that`s normally bolted, strapped, or screwed on (pump&bracket, tool&tube bag, lights, basket). It came out to 36# and I`ve added a front rack and one light since, so I think it`s around 38. How much do you figure your lunch and laptop are? You probably still have me beat by a little.

MB1
    Carbon Based Lifeform
    Keys weigh a whole lot less than locks. Quit carrying your lock-just leave it locked to wherever you park your bike at work (we have several locks scattered around town).
    Ua mau ke ea o ka aina I ka pono

mtbr member
    Do you have the option to keep your clothes, laptop, etc at work? We're fortunate that we have lockers and stuff, so I leave all my things at work. Then, the ride to work is just like a normal fun ride - my tools, wallet and keys are in the jersey and off I go.
    :wq

weirdo
    We`re provided with uniforms that aren`t supposed to leave the plant (though they do), so no problem changing clothes at the plant. Still, I like to carry a bowling ball with me in case I decide to take up a new hobby on the way home. I`ve been thinking about horseshoes lately too. Just in case, you know?.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar
    Still, I like to carry a bowling ball with me in case I decide to take up a new hobby on the way home. I`ve been thinking about horseshoes lately too. Just in case, you know?.
    haha, but where is your kitchen sink?

Ya, my rig is pretty rediculous. I park my bike inside, so I dont need a lock, but what if I need to stop? Have dual multitools, 2 tubes, 15mm wrench for the geared rear hub, patch kit and pump. Being a "professional" I need fresh clothes, shoes daily. I need to take home/work a laptop and several folders of paperwork daily.

To be honest I dont really notice the weight until Im off the bike and try to store it. Also I never had a rack or panniers before, so now I try to squirrel everything in there. I dont mind the weight knowing I have what I need and its secure. Looking back, I could have saved myself a grand and just put slicks and a rack on one of my old hardtails, instead of buying a lightweight commuter.

wayne
    89 Univega HT -???-
    92 Specd SJ HT M2 -sold-
    94 Specd SJ HT M2 -sold-
    97 Klien Mantra -sold-
    01 Specd enduro FSR
    04 Specd stumpjumper FSR

M_S
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    21 pounds with bottle cages and frame pump.

Not including my backpack with lunch, lock, and some clothes.

But my commuter bike is just my cyclocross bike. No mods except maybe road tires and more tire pressure than I would run in a race. I am looking forward to my 15 mile each way commute starting next week. My summer job is at a bike shop

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Wayne, I leave my work shoes (a few pair) and belts at work. Just haul my dialy work clothes back and forth...in addition to all my necessary bike gear (air source, spare tube, tools, patch kit, trail/road maps, water, food, rain gear.)

Bikeoholic
    I haven't weighed mine yet, however, its a porker. Steel frame and in the paniers I have:
    mini U-lock, multi-tool, pump, lever, tube, patch kit, book to read on the ferry, lunch, clothing for the day, and sandles to wear once I get on the ferry, and maybe a jacket....

So pretty heavy, but I agree I don't notice it until I have to pick up my bike to move it. (of course the up hills aren't any easier)

But I really don't mind. I view my commuter as a training tool to lose weight and get faster... It also makes my MTN bike feel crazy light.
    -Palek
    Ride Today...
    ...You might not be able to tomorrow

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by centerridgerider
    So pretty heavy, but I agree I don't notice it until I have to pick up my bike to move it. (of course the up hills aren't any easier)

But I really don't mind. I view my commuter as a training tool to lose weight and get faster... It also makes my MTN bike feel crazy light.
    No kidding! Mine makes my Kona Blast feel like a Moots . Same thing about picking it up- that`s when I notice the weight. When I go riding along the river with my wife or nieces, we load the bikes into the truck and mine is like loading a major appliance. When I ride into town a couple times a month, I have a return trip about 15 miles long (depending on where "in town" I go) and a 1200-1500 ft climb. I think I would notice more if I were accustomed to riding a more suitable bike, but my old roadie, although lighter, has a granny gear that would make more sense in Omaha or Orlando.

All That is Man
    Thats insane. Once mine starts getting over 23lbs or so, it starts feeling like a hog to me.
    John

A Superhero Named Tony
    I don't have a scale but I'll bet my Surly Big Dummy is at least 70 lbs. But man does it make errands easy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by McLovin
    I don't have a scale but I'll bet my Surly Big Dummy is at least 70 lbs.
    Dang, now I just feel like a complainer.

wayne
    89 Univega HT -???-
    92 Specd SJ HT M2 -sold-
    94 Specd SJ HT M2 -sold-
    97 Klien Mantra -sold-
    01 Specd enduro FSR
    04 Specd stumpjumper FSR

mtbr member
    my usual commuter is 38lbs with rack and panniers and cable lock. It's a total pain when I have to lift it 4 times a day to put it on the bike shuttle. BUT, the steering is so stable that I ride with my legs weighted over bumps and potholes and no hands. So I love it.

c

back2bikin'
    Hey wayneos,
    what rack and panniers did you have? I am going to inherit a friends blackburn rack and am shopping for panniers.
    "So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature,..."

Members who have read this thread: 0