• 10-03-2007
    pixelninja
    Fast rolling tire for commuting and trail?
    I'm in the process of buying a new hardtail that will see double duty as a trail bike and also a commuter. I hate swapping tires, so I am looking to get a set of tires that have a fast rolling low profile tread that won't be boat anchors on the road and can also work ok on the trail. Most of the trails around here are fairly rocky, some loose sand and some hardpack. Currently I'm looking at the Kenda Small Block 8 or the Maxxis Crossmark. Any opinions on either of these tires? Any other tires that might fit the bill?
  • 10-03-2007
    ImaBoku
    I am curious for opinions on this as well. I just got a new hardtail for the same purpose, daily commute with some light gravel plus trails on weekends etc. Being fairly new to the hardtail scene its difficult to sort through the multitude of options.
  • 10-03-2007
    EDDIE JONES
    Geax Lobo Loco's may work or something along the lines of an IRC Kujo. The Geax will wear quicker but it has a round profile for street riding. The Kujo is heavy as hell but would do decent on street or trail and they wear like iron
  • 10-03-2007
    Dan Gerous
    The CrossMark works great. Very fast and silent on smooth trails and pavement yet has surprisingly good grip when the trails are bit more nasty and it corners well too. When going straight on road, it's almost like a slick...
  • 10-03-2007
    BadHabit
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pixelninja
    I'm in the process of buying a new hardtail that will see double duty as a trail bike and also a commuter. I hate swapping tires, so I am looking to get a set of tires that have a fast rolling low profile tread that won't be boat anchors on the road and can also work ok on the trail. Most of the trails around here are fairly rocky, some loose sand and some hardpack. Currently I'm looking at the Kenda Small Block 8 or the Maxxis Crossmark. Any opinions on either of these tires? Any other tires that might fit the bill?

Conti Twister SSs. 370 grams. Microknobs in the middle but bigger edge knobs to turn in loose stuff.

I picked up 2-3 mph and at least one gear over Conti Explorer SSs, and they turn ok.

I am guessing they will not wear all that well.
  • 10-03-2007
    timehoc
    small block 8.
  • 10-03-2007
    pixelninja
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BadHabit
    Conti Twister SSs. 370 grams. Microknobs in the middle but bigger edge knobs to turn in loose stuff.

I picked up 2-3 mph and at least one gear over Conti Explorer SSs, and they turn ok.

I am guessing they will not wear all that well.

Nice. Although the super light weight kind of scares me. These tires need to be somewhat durable.
  • 10-03-2007
    BadHabit
    Quote:

Nice. Although the super light weight kind of scares me. These tires need to be somewhat durable.

I am not many miles into them, all Illinois MUTs.
  • 10-03-2007
    pixelninja
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BadHabit
    I am not many miles into them, all Illinois MUTs.

MUTs?
  • 10-03-2007
    BadHabit
    Quote:

MUTs?

The despised multiuse "trail"--the bike trail out the door.
  • 10-03-2007
    NormanPCN
    Kenda Small Block 8.
    Specialized Fast Trak.
  • 10-03-2007
    pixelninja
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NormanPCN
    Kenda Small Block 8.
    Specialized Fast Trak.

Any idea which one you think is faster rolling?
  • 10-03-2007
    GreenLightGo
    +2 on the Crossmark recommendation. I've used both the SB8 and Crossmark, both have their places where they excel. For road riding though, the Crossmark rolls well and has more loose terrain bite than an SB8 so that's what I'd recommend.
  • 10-03-2007
    Rover Nick
    Small Block 8's
  • 10-03-2007
    pixelninja
    Quote:

Originally Posted by timehoc
    small block 8.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rover Nick
    Small Block 8's

Are you guys recommending the SB8's over the Crossmark?
  • 10-03-2007
    drainyoo
    Quote:

Crossmarks are awesome. I needed a tire for the same reason and these are perfect. They are very fast on the road.
  • 10-04-2007
    NormanPCN
    Quote:

Any idea which one you think is faster rolling?

I have tried both. They both roll fast and smooth. Never did any mental comparison. Sorry.
  • 10-04-2007
    jyeager
    I'd have 2 wheelsets for the 2 different purposes.

But barring that, I like my Conti Leaders. They are a lighter weight racing tire, but that's what I do. Their tread pattern is very fast and looks to be suitable for pavement. Nothing grips well in loose sand, everything grips rocks (ie. friction with rubber, not tread). and they are ideal on hard-pack. Terrible for mud though.

I have no experience with the Smallblock8, so I'm not necessarily saying the Contis are better.
  • 10-04-2007
    pixelninja
    Thanks for all the good feedback, guys. I went ahead and told my LBS to get the Crossmarks.
  • 10-05-2007
    urmb
    Continental Traffix
  • 10-05-2007
    grawbass
    WTB Nanoraptor
  • 10-05-2007
    mile6cycles
    I use intense system 3...
    Intense System 3. It's a semi-slick with regular intermediate and side knobs. I use these on my commuter because they're almost as fast as slicks on the road. For quite a while I used them on my trail bike. They work well on the trail, my biggest complaint was that they were too low volume for me (240lbs at the time) and I had to run them at 40 & 45psi to keep from pinch-flatting. They corner great, a bit less traction than full knobbies but very predictable. The traction and braking isn't so great, as you can imagine.

I love em for the commute since I can just head off road on the way home if I want. Obviously don't expect great cornering on the road.
  • 10-06-2007
    pixelninja
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mile6cycles
    Intense System 3.

Hmmm. I like the looks of those. Maybe I'll talk to my lbs.
  • 10-07-2007
    paihk
    Hi

Anyone knows about Hutchinson Piranha or Python? Which one is rolling faster? THX!
  • 10-07-2007
    crazylax42
    I'm currently using crossmark and python combo, works great for lots of commuting as well as the occasional trailride. Nice thing about the pythons is that you can run em at 80 psi for lots of pavement use
  • 10-07-2007
    RedBlueGreen
    I'm on Crossmarks and their super low rolling resistance is amazing. Pretty grippy in wet XC conditions too. I do have a concern that their wear rate might be a bit fast, but have yet to see.
  • 10-08-2007
    newboy04
    Hutchinson Python Air Light
    Quote:

Originally Posted by paihk
    Hi

Anyone knows about Hutchinson Piranha or Python? Which one is rolling faster? THX!

I have been running Pythons on my hardtail up until my front tire got nicked in the sidewall by rocks. I now run a panaracer fire xc pro or kenda blue groove in front but we'll get to that later. I like the Pythons alot for hardpack trails and singletrack. Being a race tire, they are very fast. The only problem is that they will wash out on you without warning on hard fast turns or loose sand, though this usually happens to me on pavement and never on the trail. For speed and low weight, the Python is an excellent tire. Now, if you ride through rock gardens and bomb downhill, they probably aren't the best choice However, as far as xc race tires go, the Pythons are a joy to ride.

I have no experience with the Piranha, and I switched to a new tire up front because the Python is less suited for the types of trails that I have been riding recently (lots of rock gardens, roots, and technical stuff). I still keep the Python on the rear because the of the aforementioned attributes of this tire.
  • 10-08-2007
    ChuckO
    My solution for trail and street is two complete wheelsets. On the stock wheelset that came with the bike I'm running Kenda Kiniptons, roll very nice on pavement and are okay for very smooth trails. My other wheelset is Mavic crosstrails with Michelin XCR Extreme tubeless, great for just about everything off road around here.
    Takes about three minutes to swap between trail and street.
  • 03-16-2008
    bikerfish
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ChuckO
    My solution for trail and street is two complete wheelsets. On the stock wheelset that came with the bike I'm running Kenda Kiniptons, roll very nice on pavement and are okay for very smooth trails. My other wheelset is Mavic crosstrails with Michelin XCR Extreme tubeless, great for just about everything off road around here.
    Takes about three minutes to swap between trail and street.

Have to agree about multiple wheelsets - much faster than changing tires. I have 3 wheelsets - 1 for commuting, 1 for trails, 1 for winter (el chepo). As far as good fast tires that will also work on trails I use the WTB All Terrainasaurus. I've got at least 2000 miles on them and I'd say I've got about half-life left (maybe a little less). About 70% of those miles are pavement, the other 30% is dirt & rock. They roll very fast, have little to no noise, and hook up pretty well on hardpack, roots, & rocks. They do NOT work well in mud.
  • 03-16-2008
    pixelninja
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bikerfish
    Have to agree about multiple wheelsets

I now have 2 wheelsets. :thumbsup:

One set has Crossmarks for multi-purpose use, and the other has a Panaracer Fire XC Pro/Schwalbe Nobby Nic combo for dedicated trail use.
  • 03-17-2008
    Zero Signal
    I vote SB8s still
  • 03-20-2008
    markymark
    maxxis larsen TT 60's - fast rolling, awesome on the dirt. Been using them for commuting and trail riding for years.
  • 03-22-2008
    TrekJeff
    Ritchy speedmax seem to do well. They came stock on my Cross Check and I havn't had a complaint about them yet.
  • 03-22-2008
    NonConformist
    I'm suprised to see so few votes for the WTB nanoraptor. It's well known for being one of the fastest rolling tires out there, wear like iron, cheap, and work well enough in all conditions.

Then again I've not tried the crossmarks,
    DG
  • 03-25-2008
    stenu
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NonConformist
    I'm suprised to see so few votes for the WTB nanoraptor. It's well known for being one of the fastest rolling tires out there, wear like iron, cheap, and work well enough in all conditions.

Then again I've not tried the crossmarks,
    DG

2nd vote for Nanoraptors. Best do it all tire for a mtb.
  • 03-25-2008
    llama
    Just bought a pair of crossmarks for my HT, which I use for singletrack and running errands. They work great.

But I like the idea of having two wheelsets even better. I plan to add a wheelset soon that will be dedicated to street use.
  • 03-25-2008
    ferday
    Quote:

Originally Posted by stenu
    2nd vote for Nanoraptors. Best do it all tire for a mtb.

3rd vote for nanoraptors. wear great, roll great on pavement and dirt, and enough traction to be practical. and you can usually find them cheap-ish.