A familiar headline...No Charges Filed- Mtbr.com
    Moderator Moderator

mtbr member
    Well a civil action has a lesser standard of guilt. I suppose the video was not definitive enough to remove the shadow of a doubt? Or was there just inadequate investigation for the prosecutor to proceed. I hope that the civil case is open that might shed some light.

The pedestrian deaths are of concern too. Though I have witnessed a pedestrian walk into heavy traffic and lose, I assume most are walking legally. Even in a city as large as SF, 21 a year seems a lot to me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    As another poster said in a previous thread, if you want to kill someone, just wait until they get on a bike or are walking on the sidewalk and run them down.

Moderator Moderator
    Deputy Who Hit Biking Napster Exec While Driving Distracted Won't Face Charges: LAist

If the police radio had been used instead of a computer to ask/answer a question, the cyclist would be alive today. The exemption for emergency services to text etc. should be for during an emergency, not for routine communications.

mtbr member
    Agree! Hard for me to see radio communication and answering an email on a laptop as "the same".

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I'm surprised they are citing that as reason for not charging the officer. I don't know the particulars of California law, but I can't imagine the law providing cover. Most emergency vehicle law is written that you can break most rules of the road as long as you don't hit someone, and if you hit some one the assumption is you screwed up. But what do I know, I'm a fireman, you can see all the times we are charged in traffic accidents, I think in this case the thin blue line protects its self :/ It should go to grand jury and let the public decide.

I don't hear a thing about internal discipline or internal policy changes. There's no way that should be acceptable either.

another edit-

this is horse$hit the more I think about it. The texting and driving exemption allows them to text and drive, it doesn't allow them to rear end people, hit cyclists, hit pedestriants etc. He still traveled into the bike lane and hit someone, there has to be a law on the books for that.

mtbr member
    ^^ Texting is more dangerous than drunk driving. If he had been drunk, he'd he in a world of hurt, so this is crap IMHO.

since 4/10/2009
    Just goes to reinforce the open season on cyclists.