F*@* The Bus- Mtbr.com

Thread: F*@* The Bus

mtbr member

F*@* The Bus

Totally selfish and small minded, but I hate city buses.

Particularly in San Francisco, where I'll be crawling up hill and then a bus starts to play squeeze-play to pick up people who are too lazy or stupid to ride a bike.

I am hoping there is a huge bus strike so I can ride the streets without fearing to be run over a 10 ton people mover.

RANT OFF.

NormalNorm
    Agreed, but IMO....Cabbies are the worse.

FWIW, and now that I think about it......I hate all vehicles the same.

mtbr member
    Buses scare the hell out me on bridges and narrow roads near walls, and Pittsburgh has lots of bridges and narrow roads.... but I am stupid and lazy on occasion when I dont feel like burning the gas in my own car so I take the bus

weirdo
    I can`t stick up for the bus drivers, but riding the bus doesn`t make a person stupid OR lazy. Most are just people who also chose not to drive, same as cyclists or pedestrians.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro
    Totally selfish and small minded, but I hate city buses.

Particularly in San Francisco, where I'll be crawling up hill and then a bus starts to play squeeze-play to pick up people who are too lazy or stupid to ride a bike.

I am hoping there is a huge bus strike so I can ride the streets without fearing to be run over a 10 ton people mover.

RANT OFF.

Grab the lane, call in the violation with bus number and tag....every bus has a driver, and not every driver is an idiot...some are that is for sure.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    When i'm on my bike, every vechicle and it's drivers are idiots.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    I got buzzed by a bus a few weeks ago. Caught up with the bus at the next light knocked on the door and politely (really!) asked the driver to give cyclists a little more space. He simply replied "you need to get off the road" and closed the door in my face! Sent a email to the bus power-that-be but never got a response. So, I have decided that I hate buses too...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar
    I can`t stick up for the bus drivers, but riding the bus doesn`t make a person stupid OR lazy. Most are just people who also chose not to drive, same as cyclists or pedestrians.
    What are you, some kind of San Franciscan liberal?

Wait, that's me....

mtbr member
    May 2005
    After you calm down, just be thankful that you aren't riding inside that bus. SF buses are notorious for having crazy, smelly, or violent people on them. Not only that, but you can get almost anywhere in the city faster on a bike.

I think you're a little harsh on the bus riders, but I do wonder why anyone would want to ride the bus instead of a bike. My guess is that for most of them the very idea of riding a bike never even occurs to them. Bikes as transportation seems like a foreign idea to most Americans.

mtbr member
    In the summer its a hygiene/courtesy thing..... If I have to work around others I do not think its fair to them to be smelling like a old sweaty sock all day.

Controlling body oder and common courtesy seems to be a foreign idea in many of the other countries I visit.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor29
    After you calm down, just be thankful that you aren't riding inside that bus. SF buses are notorious for having crazy, smelly, or violent people on them. Not only that, but you can get almost anywhere in the city faster on a bike.

I think you're a little harsh on the bus riders, but I do wonder why anyone would want to ride the bus instead of a bike. My guess is that for most of them the very idea of riding a bike never even occurs to them. Bikes as transportation seems like a foreign idea to most Americans.

weirdo
    SF liberal!?!?

No way, dude! I left the bay in kindergarten and have been a naturalized Nevadan for ages now!
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Lee
    In the summer its a hygiene/courtesy thing..... If I have to work around others I do not think its fair to them to be smelling like a old sweaty sock all day.

Controlling body oder and common courtesy seems to be a foreign idea in many of the other countries I visit.
    See, you obviously don't live in San Francisco! It's COLDER in the summer here (check the current temperatures if you don't believe me). So given the extremely mild climate, why does anyone ride the bus?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor29

Where did you get the idea that SF bus riders are violent?

I'm SUCH a square....
    Never been to SF, but where I live, it's the SCHOOL buses that are dangerous! Had one blow me off the road APPROACHING A RED LIGHT!! I didn't cuss him, but I did pointedly tell him that he needs to give bikes room. He studiously ignored me.

mtbr member
    I guess I can't blame the bus for this one, but I will anyway...

I'm hammering down Mission, doing about 25mph. I split through two lanes stopped for a red light and I can see a bus pulling over about 30 feet from the light.

As the light turns green, I merge over to the left lane so I can pass the bus cleanly. I am also passing a VW yuppie-mobile who doesn't see the bus ahead for some reason.

The driver apparently doesn't see me either, even though I am level with his front mirror, so he decides to merge into me.

For a brief moment, I thought I would be forced into oncoming traffic from the other direction. But I gave the yuppie's window a full knuckle slap and he slowed down enough to save him from a vehicular homicide charge.

mtbr member
    Cars, trucks, buses... all a bunch of [email protected] in my opinion when it comes to bikes. Cannot count the number of times Ive almost been run off the roads. Honestly what gets me most is the attitude from a lot of drivers... Ive been asked what the hell Im doing on the road to begin with, been told to get a real f***in vehicle, and told cars have the right of way at all times.... Are you serious... How do you idiots even get a license...

Hail Satin!
    You think bus drivers are bad? You should deal with the train drivers. Those are some really attitude ridden people. The other day I almost got hit by one of these jerks. I was just ridin down the street minding my own business when these long arms with all these blinkey lights came down in front of me. I'm not sure who came up with the idea of these new street lights. But I have to say they are a real bad idea. The arms are just high enought to break the nose of a child. And we all know we need to protect the children. But anyway. I just went because I always blow through red lights. And this jerk had the nerve. The shear self-centered arrogance to honk his horn at me. Dosent he know I have the right of way and are therfore correct. I mean sure if he hit me I would have died. But whohoo think of how red faced he would be with is $400 dollar fine and raised insurance premiums. My wife and the rest of my family would surely have a good chuckle about his plight when they are carring my casket to the grave. San Fran? Have you ever seen the myth busters there?
    In the great Ford vs Chevy debate, I choose Porsche.

mtbr member
    Epic Beard Man indeed. Not sure what started the argument, but Beard Man ended it.

I Have Cookies
    Quote Originally Posted by Calhoun
    Epic Beard Man indeed. Not sure what started the argument, but Beard Man ended it.
    Bearded man Brought the smack down to that dude!!!
    The most important thing is what God thinks about it. He will have the final say. Joshua Stinebrink

____
    Kimo

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Calhoun
    Too bad it's flagged on YouTube I can't view what they said. In both vids, it's the one who looked he least dangerous that came out on top.

mtbr member
    I hate the buses around here (phoenix, az).
    The drivers are dangerous, take lots of risks and just generally seem to either be complete morons or just don't care.

I am all for alternative transportation - however, the people that choose to ride the buses out here either drunk, homeless, or strung out on meth...or all the above. Sad but true. And the buses themselves are nasty...the city is also broke so they are cutting back the services quite a bit.

They now have a light rail system in the city and so far, it appears to be staying clean and I've seen a lot of office works using it to get down town. Hopefully it stays that way.
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog View Post
    I think he was born around the time of the Chernobyl fallout which would explain a lot.

jrm
    mtbr member

What about the passengers?

Those a$sholes that throw **** out the windows at you as the bus passes. Just once id like to catch the bus at a stop , get on the bus and literally throw one of these little pieces of **** out in to the street.

Or the people that have just gotten off the bus and walk across the front of the bus and into the bike lane without looking? or the ones that stop, make eye contact and then run in front of you.

Drivers i can deal with. Here in Oakland i find theres a wide span that includes the cooperative ones and the aggressive or competitive ones when it comes to sharing the road with cyclists. I know most of you, like me, ride with a phone at all times. next time you have a run in with a bus driver call the transit provider with the route #, bus #, location and time of day.

OH that felt gggggooooooooooodddddddd....deep breaths.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm
    Those a$sholes that throw **** out the windows at you as the bus passes. Just once id like to catch the bus at a stop , get on the bus and literally throw one of these little pieces of **** out in to the street.

Or the people that have just gotten off the bus and walk across the front of the bus and into the bike lane without looking? or the ones that stop, make eye contact and then run in front of you.

Drivers i can deal with. Here in Oakland i find theres a wide span that includes the cooperative ones and the aggressive or competitive ones when it comes to sharing the road with cyclists. I know most of you, like me, ride with a phone at all times. next time you have a run in with a bus driver call the transit provider with the route #, bus #, location and time of day.

OH that felt gggggooooooooooodddddddd....deep breaths.
    Well that's difference between Oakland passengers and San Francisco ones. Oakland they attack people outside the bus.

But one thing that highlights the difference is the amount of climbing that is done.

There are a lot of streets that I need to climb that are very crowded. Park Blvd, for example is especially wide and mellow for all vehicles.

Members who have read this thread: 0