Extra-Cise?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Extra-Cise?

The Brutally Handsome

Extra-Cise?

I was wondering how many of you exercise in addition to commuting and what type of exercise you do, running, lifting, swimming . . . ? I lift weights for about an hour a day, and my ride takes about 1.5 hours a day, so that's like 2.5 hours of exercise. People seem to think that's excessive but I have a lot of energy. Anyway, just interested to see if there are others out there!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Minimum of two hours of martial arts 6 nights/day a week. I'm an assistant instructor in TaeKwonDo and teach an hour on Monday and Wednesday nights. After teaching, I take my classes with the Chief Instructor for another two hours on the same nights. Then I train one last hour on the mats for Jiu-Jitsu for Friday's. On Tuesdays and Thursday evenings, I train two hours in Krav Maga and another hour on the mats doing ground work. On Friday nights are what we call Competition Night in Jiu-Jitsu, so I roll around the mats even more for about two and a half hours, and on Saturday morning if I'm not opening at work, I do an hour of free sparring in TaeKwonDo and 45 minutes on weapons. Sundays, I ride trails if I have time or don't have any errands to do, but lately have played paintball before it starts to warm up again.

I definitely get a workout more on my martial arts hobby than my 9-mile roundtrip commute to work and back.
    Last edited by LUNARFX; 02-09-2010 at 07:17 AM.

local trails rider
    I don't exercise.
    - My commutes are about 1 hour / working day.
    - I take out the dog a couple of times a day.
    - Several times a week I walk to the supermarket (an hour on my feet)
    - When conditions are nice, I ride on trails (anything from an hour to 5 hours at a time)

- When there's new snow, I clear it from the driveway and the sidewalk in front.

a lazy pedaler
    Jul 2009
    nothing real at the moment...but it is part of my new years resolution to do something else to help me loose all this gained weight...in college I did Rugby, Table Tennis and some informal Indoor Soccer (Futsal)..I actually made the college team in Rugby and was close to do it in Table Tennis...now rugby is out of the list...I probably will take the TT back, it's incredible, if you take it seriously, how demanding this game is.

hey L, so, should I call you Sabonin* from now on? I did some TaeKwonDo at the end of High school... did yellow but then leave home town to college and it wasn't easy to arrange it with the classes, so that's when TT and Rugby came in. It was a bummer to then find 5 or 6 years later that my former team mates were black belt , going to international competitions, etc, etc.

*that's how the teacher is called in Venezuela.

Bedwards Of The West
    My other hobbies are pretty physically demanding... dirt bikes, wakeboarding, snowboarding. But I don't 'train' for them or for biking. The commute gives me a decent foundation...it's my 'routine' in terms of fitness. I end each commute with some push-ups, and throw in some sit-ups occasionally.
    When I want to be humbled and miserable, I go running with my wife. I'll never understand how people could actually like doing that.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    aside from commuting, lifting 2-3 days a week and some drunken riding several times a month. Trying to get back into the pool.

weirdo
    Just pedaling for me. Usually very leasure pedaling, but I did take Amtrak once.
    Recalculating....

Moderator Moderator
    Nothing during the week besides the 2hr RT bike (most days). On the weekends, I'll go xc skiing for a couple hrs if conditions are good, usually just "out back" on the snowmobile trails & exploring off trail in the woods. In warmer weather I like to hike & ride the trails.

I got nothin'
    Other than commuting an hour or so round trip 5 days a week I do upper body and core strength training three mornings a week. I was doing some Yoga, which I need to get back into. Oh yea, I also MTB on occasion on the weekends.
    I ride at ludicrous speed

Are we there yet?
    My commute is 24 to 26 miles round trip, average 3 days a week through 9 months of the year, and at least a few times during the other three months. Besides that I also do martial arts every Monday night. (I run a class in my basement) Been at it for almost 20 years now. I also lift weights, do Pilates and yoga, and jog maybe once a week each. I try to do something everyday.

Yeah, snow shoveling in the winter (no stinky noisy snow blower for me) and push mower for the lawn in the summer. I have a large yard so I get about an hour long sweaty workout on this each week!

No-Brakes Cougar
    I addition to cycling, I take short walks on my breaks at work; two short walks up and down a steep hill plus stairs and a longer walk at lunch including the hill/stair combo. It really helps with calves and hamstrings, which don't get as much of a workout from cycling as quads and gluets. I also go hiking and walking on weekends with my girlfriend. Swimming in the summer and occasionally running. When we go to Lake Tahoe we sometimes rent a kayak. We recently got into going to the driving range and will be starting a golf class through Parks & Rec in a couple of weeks. We also got a hold of some tennis rackets and will hopefully get some court time in at the high school near our house soon. We got to get to a bowling alley soon at some point. I'm definitely not a gifted athlete, but that doesn't stop me from participating in and enjoying sports and physical activities. It's like a drug, I need to do it or I get antsy and can't sleep. I used to lift weights and do a lot more core/upper body stuff but every time I have some health problem I stop and it takes a long time to start up again.
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

ride the moment
    It varies depending on the season. Long summer days are for trail riding (which i am fortunate enough to have ample local choices). However once the rain moves in in October my habits change.

Bikram's Yoga. I cannot recommend it enough. Try it a few times... seriously. I'm going 3-4 days a week at the moment. I once did 60 days in a row. Whatever you need to fix in your body it will find it and paint it Hi-Vis. (Edit: If you don't have Bikram's in your town, just find a Hatha or Vinyasa yoga class. Sometimes at the gym they are called "power yoga" or some ****.)

Swimming has been my fallback in the winter for a quick full body workout since there is a pool on campus. This winter I've been doing 3 days a week in the pool, one "mile" day and two interval days.

I recently added spin classes two days a week. They rock. I know I could just rage my commute, but I'm very externally motivated. In spin class I push myself to the point of dripping puddles and knots in my stomach. My commute is usually a much more recreational pace.

While we're on the topic though...
    I think I'm about to drop the swimming for time in the weight room. Its the one thing I've neglected and I want to get stronger. I mean I can do about 10 pullups and 30 pushups and the yoga/swimming really boosted my core strength, but I think its time to build a more solid muscle foundation. That will put me at 3-4 yoga classes, two spin classes, one long SS ride in the hills on the weekend, and 2-3 days in the weight room. I'm pretty sure I can work it out to have one complete rest day, and one day where I only go to yoga. I've been reading a lot, and I'm pretty much going to follow Joe DeFranco's Westside for Skinny Bastards with a couple rearrangements to make it fit my riding schedule. For anyone who lifts I have a couple questions.

Squats are followed by a rest day in every program I've read. Is it going to be too much to go to spin class the next day? I feel like I should take my rest day after my lower body day, but I also want to keep my Lower body day in the middle of the week so as not to interfere with my SS-MTB day. Our local haunt gains about 1800 ft. in 4.5 miles with a couple flats spots so its a burly climb. If I work my legs on Wednesday it would be stellar to go to spin on Thursday. Its doable Friday, and my body may force me to do it like that, but Thursday spin is ideal for my schedule. Thoughts?
    Hey Butthead, are we gonna die? - Beavis

Moderator Moderator
    I have some weights in the basement...they have held down the house real good.

Are we there yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer
    I have some weights in the basement...they have held down the house real good.
    Heehee. That reminds me of a Craigslist ad I seen a while back...

Bench and free weights for sale, in excellent condition. Apparently they must be lifted to see results!

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by AlmostQuick
    Heehee. That reminds me of a Craigslist ad I seen a while back...

Bench and free weights for sale, in excellent condition. Apparently they must be lifted to see results!
    Haha - and I've you noticed an old exercise bike from Sears is mandatory if you are holding a yard sale.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by martinsillo
    hey L, so, should I call you Sabonin* from now on? I did some TaeKwonDo at the end of High school... did yellow but then leave home town to college and it wasn't easy to arrange it with the classes, so that's when TT and Rugby came in. It was a bummer to then find 5 or 6 years later that my former team mates were black belt , going to international competitions, etc, etc.

*that's how the teacher is called in Venezuela.
    Very cool! I've always wanted to be good at table tennis, but I'm not as ambidextrous as I thought. I figured I'd be decent at it, playing drums for years, but you guys amaze me. It's nice that you still remember Sabonin. Every end of class in TaeKwonDo, the students bow out and say, "Sabonin Kamsa Hamida," which in addition to your word, means "Thank you instructor." Luckily my academy doesn't pass out or hand out color belts to move students through the rank, like it has gotten in other schools. We earn each belt, and it shows with all the World Champions in our academy. I'm a 3rd Degree Black Belt in TaeKwonDo, Level IV in Krav Maga and received my Black Belt in Jiu-Jitsu(acquired it loooooooooooooong before UFC I was even thought of). I'm on the right...

I do like bowling, if that's considered exercise too...

I like to climb too at the rock climb gym. This is all we have since there aren't mountains in Florida. I miss it and haven't gone since the YMCA bought the gym out.

So for now, I just climb anywhere I can...don't mind the police car parked in the background...

Like said, I love to paintball, unfortunately the field isn't the place where you want to have a camera, so here's me doing target practice. Kids, don't try this at home...

[/color]

Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy
    When I want to be humbled and miserable, I go running with my wife. I'll never understand how people could actually like doing that.
    Man, as active as you can see I am, I ABSOLUTELY HATE TO RUN! When we do riot drills back and forth in Krav Maga, or sprint outside the academy to run across the strip mall and back, absolutely kills me! I'm truly weaksauce when it comes to jogging, skipping, much less running. Don't feel bad...

weirdo
    If anybody needs that old excercise bike to make his/her garage sale feel complete, drop me a line! My wife insisted a few years ago, but at least I had the foresight to buy it from Salvation Army (rather than Sears), already knowing its fate. It does serve up a little bit of exercise though- we have to hurdle it to get to the televison, so that keeps us from watching as much as we otherwise would.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Couch Potato here. Hey it takes energy to get up and walk to the pantry to get a bag of chips. That's why I keep them next to the couch.

UR

Harshing my mellow, man..
    Jun 2008
    my exercise is riding my 50lb commuter around. makes the legs hurt, in a good way of course.

Members who have read this thread: 0