Ever come across other commuters with bad attitudes- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Ever come across other commuters with bad attitudes

So I just got into commuting to work. I picked up a cannondale trail 6 cause i wanted to do some XC riding as well. So usually I'm the only rider on the road going to work. Every now and then I come across another rider when I catch up to him or he catches up to me we smile say hello and go on our way. Today I came across this guy on a road bike headed the same way I am I caught up to him at a light and I smile and give the hello nod. He looks at me an turns his head. The light turns green and we go on about our ride. Anybody else come across those type of riders.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I've never met a grumpy commuter. Chances are pretty good that guy was wearing full matched kit and riding a $3k+ bike. Sadly, that's par for the course with "hardcore" roadies.

mtbr member
    I'm not sure about the 3k bike. But yes he was all geared up.

weirdo
    It`s certainly possible that he blew you off. It happens- don`t let it bother you. Also possible that his mind was elsewhere and he hardly noticed somebody else was there, let alone that you greeted him.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Yeah, they're called "roadies" :-)

Still want a fat bike....
    Quote Originally Posted by R+P+K View Post
    Yeah, they're called "roadies" :-)
    Commuters and roadies are suck different beasts. I always wave to other people on bikes as we have sort of a common bond at that moment, but when someone is all full kit and road bike, they rarely acknowledge me. Seems odd, but who knows where they are in their workout.
    I am a man of many words. KCCO!

jrm
    mtbr member

I've been that guy from time to time

I cant make lemonade all the time.

bt
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    pissed he missed the light.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    They are usually sitting in cars.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmann8686 View Post
    So I just got into commuting to work. I picked up a cannondale trail 6 cause i wanted to do some XC riding as well. So usually I'm the only rider on the road going to work. Every now and then I come across another rider when I catch up to him or he catches up to me we smile say hello and go on our way. Today I came across this guy on a road bike headed the same way I am I caught up to him at a light and I smile and give the hello nod. He looks at me an turns his head. The light turns green and we go on about our ride. Anybody else come across those type of riders.
    Yup....

Some days that is me, have other things on my mind, and am just not there....

Pretty rarely though....

I ride an MTB.....guys on road bikes hate getting passed by someone on an MTB.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    Yup....

I ride an MTB.....guys on road bikes hate getting passed by someone on an MTB.
    That's funny cause I did pass him on one section after the light. And he made a point to ride past me at a high rate of speed.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I'll admit I've been that guy sometimes. I'm an introvert so my time on my bike is the *only* time during a day when I'm not having to interact with anyone.

mtbr member
    And I understand that maybe he had alot of things on his mind or something. But he looked right at me. We made eye contact. And all I did was smile and nod. And he just turned away and looked at the light.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmann8686 View Post
    And I understand that maybe he had alot of things on his mind or something. But he looked right at me. We made eye contact. And all I did was smile and nod. And he just turned away and looked at the light.
    Yeah, ok that's a bit stink.

I'm SUCH a square....
    Quote Originally Posted by R+P+K View Post
    I'll admit I've been that guy sometimes. I'm an introvert so my time on my bike is the *only* time during a day when I'm not having to interact with anyone.
    I pretty much feel the same way. Not looking to be social on the commute home. Thankfully, most of the time, our local MUP gets VVEEEERRRRRRYY little use, other than weekend afternoons. So if I want to 'add some miles' to the ride, I can readily do so.

I do generally acknowledge another rider...if they nod or greet.
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Roadies are the Harley pirates of the bicycle world.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by motomuppet View Post
    Roadies are the Harley pirates of the bicycle world.
    Hey now my other two wheel transportation is a Harley. And I wave at everyone. I will even wave at some pedal bike riders. Well the ones that I recognize from the LBS I go to.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Just kidding around...I ride road bicycles as well, and have friends that ride Harleys...not all members of either group are ******s (as is normally the case I guess) just seems a decent percentage are, and so everyone gets tarred with the same brush!

mtbr member
    Ya I know you were messing around. The guys at the LBS give me crap when I pull on the Harley. All I say is my Harley has pedals as well. I made my own highway pegs.

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    I just always trackstand when stuck at a light. That seems to intimidate people, whether they’re simple commuters or roadies. When the light turns green, I drag race. Sure, they didn’t plan on racing, but it makes the commuting fun. Oh, I commute on a 38 pound 9:zero:7 fatbike (google this to understand what we’re on about here). I’m just a pr¡ck. Oh, but I do say “hi”, and make conversation about the taboos of wearing fannypacks and how their TT bars are inappropriate for commuting, etc.
    Don’t frail and blow if you’re going to Braille and Flow.

Feeling retro..but Jung
    While I don't do kit or cycling cloths in general, that guy you meet is me. While all you might be expecting is a hi, when you give that hi most people see that as an opening to have some inane conversation about the weather, their ride that morning or anything really and to be honest I just don't care. This better for you to think me a bit rude rather than for me to prove I'm probably the most unpleasant person you've meet in a long time.
    I mean if there were jobs then we wouldn't be on the dole then maybe we'd be singing about love and kissing-Joe Strummer

mtbr member
    There's 1 hill on my route to work, and it's not impressive at all (here it is on google)

But every so often while I'm riding up, this one boyracer will be riding down pretending that he's at whistler or something - his nose is honestly below the stem, he's tooting his stupid horn, and he's generally being a moron. This is a multi-use path that's very highly used by pedestrians and cyclists, and he's just being a complete dick.

The thing is that we actually do have some decent-ish mountain biking in town - basically 30 seconds from where this is. If the baby (who's probably at least 30, so it's not just some dumb kid) wanted some actual excitement it would be really easy to find, but instead he chooses the wimpiest hill that is most guaranteed to piss other people off.

Anyway, whenever I see him tucking and tooting I bellow out some version of "You're a Tool". I'm also kindof waiting for the inevitable day that he's drifted over into the oncoming lane (this path involves some dodging around bridge supports and he always takes the easy route) when I'm there at the same time, because that will make an interesting game of chicken.

But all that said, I'm sure that he thinks I'm a commuter with a bad attitude.

mtbr member
    Maybe he was jealous that he doesn't have the option of enjoying some single track at the spur of the moment like you could. That or maybe tires more than 35mm wide intimidated him.
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

Trail Connoisseur
    I commute on a seven speed cruiser. I ride as fast as I can and pass a lot of other commuters. I get a lot of really weird looks like I'm some crackhead who just stole a bike and am making my get away. A couple of days ago I passed a roadie, he passed me back and got about a half a block ahead of me, hit a red light and had to take a break 'cause he winded himself. He was still there when I looked back a block later

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    There's 1 hill on my route to work, and it's not impressive at all (here it is on google)

But every so often while I'm riding up, this one boyracer will be riding down pretending that he's at whistler or something - his nose is honestly below the stem, he's tooting his stupid horn, and he's generally being a moron. This is a multi-use path that's very highly used by pedestrians and cyclists, and he's just being a complete dick.
    Reminds me of this clip from Portlandia:

Portlandia bike clip - YouTube

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by RIVER29 View Post
    I commute on a seven speed cruiser. I ride as fast as I can and pass a lot of other commuters. I get a lot of really weird looks like I'm some crackhead who just stole a bike and am making my get away. A couple of days ago I passed a roadie, he passed me back and got about a half a block ahead of me, hit a red light and had to take a break 'cause he winded himself. He was still there when I looked back a block later
    Love it. I dream about days like this. I just love going by roadies on my mid 90's Marin cross bike, hell, the other day I even caught a guy while on my cargo bike with my kid sitting on the back.. I like to give the long stare down as I pass them as well, they usually at least glance over and the look on their faces is priceless.

mtbr member
    Gotta love that CAT6 racing.
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

Ridin' Furry
    Roadies will do anything to catch a mountain biker lol

Members who have read this thread: 0