Etiquette Question- Mtbr.com
    Stroke my hair vest

Etiquette Question

If I'm commuting to work and come upon someone who works at the same place as i do (not exactly WITH me but I see this person around) who is commuting also, do I slow down and ride with them or can I continue on at my own pace?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    drop em.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Your choice there....

if you usually ride at a faster pace then it's usually on them to keep up with you. But you can be nice and slow it down and ride with them. As a minimum though if you are within easy conversation distance it is polite to wave and say hi. Usually if I meet a coworker on my commute I'll slow down and ride with them if I'm riding faster. Or if they're faster I'll try to keep up as long as I can. It's more fun to me to have someone to talk to. I always leave early enough that I have plenty of time. Who cares if it takes me 22 minutes or 30 minutes to get there. I'm going to work or going home, not racing. I ride for the shear love of riding, the health, fitness, and environmental angles are all side benefits. So a little socialization on the ride make it even more enjoyable for me. Unless the other person is a total jerk of course. If that's the case then yes, drop em!

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by downhillbomber
    If I'm commuting to work and come upon someone who works at the same place as i do (not exactly WITH me but I see this person around) who is commuting also, do I slow down and ride with them or can I continue on at my own pace?
    I think u think too much.. I have a colleague who rides slow and is always late. Do u expect me to follow him?

Even its not late, why do u want to slow down and become a hazardous for other cyclist and motor vehicle? Do u know its more difficult for other cyclist to overtake a row?

i also unicycle
    Jan 2007
    on my old commute (12-ish miles or rolling iowa hills about 50% MUP) i would often catch or be caught by a coworker. we rode close enough to the same speed, and came from the same side of town a couple miles apart, we'd often see one another. if we saw the other one in front of us, we'd bust ass and try to catch him. conversely if we saw the other guy a ways back we'd sit up and spin a bit until caught, then ride the rest of the way together. if your coworker is significantly slower than you, i'd say "hi" chit chat for a minute or two and move on.
    mtbr says you should know: i work in a bike shop.
    bikes & beers (on my blog) http://idontrideenough.blogspot.com/

maker of trail
    Too many variables.

Is this person your boss?
    Are they your friend?
    Do you care?

You could blast past them and call them a slow a$$ and give em a little slap on teh tush (if you know theperson well and are on good terms).

If you're good friends, slow up and chat or cut them off force them into a ditch, or pass and then slow down to slower than their pace and not let them past?

If its some one who you want to kiss up to, be polite

Bedwards Of The West
    If you WANT to move on at your own pace, just pass 'em and then tell them at work that you're sorry, but you're training or trying to get a specific workout on your morning ride, so you don't want to change your pace. Everyone respects that.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

Ovaries on the Outside
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy
    If you WANT to move on at your own pace, just pass 'em and then tell them at work that you're sorry, but you're training or trying to get a specific workout on your morning ride, so you don't want to change your pace. Everyone respects that.
    While I do agree that people should ride at their own pace, most people will probably think you are a douche for ditching them and saying that you are training.

I generally don't ride with anyone, but if I see someone I know, I slow and talk for a while, and every once in a while I take a slow ride back home to ride with someone. I rarely run into this problem because I prefer the route in with the most hills, which is kinda out of the way, so I don't see people.

Maybe a good rule of thumb is to not be anti-social- always say hi and some of the time, ride with them for a stretch.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Goodness gracious... way too much thought into this...

Slow down, say "Hi how are ya? How's kids..." yadda yada for a moment or two, then "Well, I'm gonna move on ahead, see ya 'round."

Then after that, if you see him and fell like having a good excuse to ease the pace, slow down and chat, otherwise it's "Howdy Earl!" as you pass him by.

Stroke my hair vest
    Thanks for the feedback ya'll.

Yeah, I'm probably over thinking it. There were some other variables that I didn't mention.

1) It was a woman (No interest, I've got a lady)
    2) I think it was the first time she was commuting to work by bike.
    3) We were on a hill
    4) I didn't know it was her when I was passing, I rang my bell, gave her a small wave and she said,"hi". I then noticed it was her, slowed down a bit said hi back and said something to the effect of " Way to go! (for riding your bike)" And then continued up the hill.

There's already a stigma that guys on bikes can appear as douchebag studs. I just don't want her to be discouraged by that mentality and continue riding her bike. Unfortunately I never got a chance to talk to her at work.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Quote Originally Posted by downhillbomber
    Thanks for the feedback ya'll.

Yeah, I'm probably over thinking it. There were some other variables that I didn't mention.
    you are doing it right.

Bedwards Of The West
    Hanging back with a female could be misinterpreted. So could telling her that you're 'training' You'd look like a tool.

x2. you are doing it right.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

No-Brakes Cougar
    I wouldn't worry too much, I don't think your hurting her feelings as long as you wave and say hello when you pass.
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Wave, say hi, keep on rolling. Someday they might be able to hang.

PM Me for Wood Fenders
    Just avoid comments like "Nice Bottom Bracket"
    The wood is being bent! Let me know what you need!

jrm
    mtbr member

Say hi and keep riding

Then if you see um at work say hi.

Members who have read this thread: 0