An entertaning exchange - What I hate about cyclists/What I hate about runners- Mtbr.com
    Moderator Moderator

An entertaning exchange - What I hate about cyclists/What I hate about runners

since 4/10/2009
    I think that covers most of them. And to be fair, the runners don't have a monopoly on headphones. Nor do cyclists have a monopoly on breaking traffic regulations when it suits them.

mtbr member
    Do newspapers really like having their comments sections filled with the same old garbage? Do they actually make money from attracting huge numbers of idiots? Because an article that pits one group of vulnerable road users against another group of vulnerable road users is catnip to all the ******* cagers out there.

mtbr member
    This line cracked me up: "Technically, being pulled downhill for a mile by gravity doesn’t qualify as “exercise.” I can put wheels on my recliner and do the same thing."

I am a runner before I am a cyclist, but since I am both, I think I do pretty well at not being an asshat to either group. But if you're a runner on a MUP, I think you just need to expect bikes flying by you with or without warning. Stay to the right and keep a steady line. Not sure why some runners find this so difficult.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WiTrailRunner View Post
    This line cracked me up: "Technically, being pulled downhill for a mile by gravity doesn’t qualify as “exercise.” I can put wheels on my recliner and do the same thing."

I am a runner before I am a cyclist, but since I am both, I think I do pretty well at not being an asshat to either group. But if you're a runner on a MUP, I think you just need to expect bikes flying by you with or without warning. Stay to the right and keep a steady line. Not sure why some runners find this so difficult.
    On the rare occasion I ride on the MUP near me, I find the people walking or with kids are the biggest nuisances. They are clueless that there's a bright yellow line in the middle of the path, just like on the street. They let their kids play in the path like it's their yard, ignoring that there's people running/biking that could collide with them, then they look at you like you're the bad guy for using the path properly and expecting them to do the same. Don't get me wrong, I am more than willing to slow down to avoid crashing into someone if there's a good reason they're in the way, but when you realize someone is coming, move over to your side of the path! The other day there was an older guy, maybe in his 70's, biking on the wrong side of the path next to his friend. The second time I passed him (I got to the end of the path and turned around) I said to him "You may want to stay on the right side of the path so you don't cause an accident" and he said "good to know". Did he really have no idea???

Air Pirate
    Quote Originally Posted by WiTrailRunner View Post
    T Not sure why some runners find this so difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by Straz85 View Post
    On the rare occasion I ride on the MUP near me, I find the people walking or with kids are the biggest nuisances. They are clueless that there's a bright yellow line in the middle of the path, just like on the street. They let their kids play in the path like it's their yard, ignoring that there's people running/biking that could collide with them, then they look at you like you're the bad guy for using the path properly and expecting them to do the same. Don't get me wrong, I am more than willing to slow down to avoid crashing into someone if there's a good reason they're in the way, but when you realize someone is coming, move over to your side of the path! The other day there was an older guy, maybe in his 70's, biking on the wrong side of the path next to his friend. The second time I passed him (I got to the end of the path and turned around) I said to him "You may want to stay on the right side of the path so you don't cause an accident" and he said "good to know". Did he really have no idea???
    It is not just cycling/running/exercise/MUP usage....it is in all areas of society these days. The problem is twofold: People have a greater sense of entitlement than any other time in history (entitled to do/use whatever they desire) and ingrained ignorance.

This is brought about by teachings/experience that you can do whatever you want and you have a RIGHT to that, and by teachings/experience that you do not have to think or obtain knowledge because there will always be someone else to do that for you.

Now I am speaking in very general terms here....I know there are exceptions and individuals who do not display these characteristics...I am speaking about the general population where this may be observed more often than not...so please view this with that in mind.

As far as who is doing the teaching and how people are obtaining the experience that will self teach towards these characteristics...I will leave that up to those who like to argue those things.

To get back to cycling: You take individuals who have a sense of entitlement ("I have a RIGHT to use this pathway and have a RIGHT to use it however I wish") and ignorance ("Common sense? Rules, laws, and regulations? What are those?") out in public spaces then you have the perfect starting point for calamity and altercations.

That 70 year old Straz85 wrote of concerned me at first...as I would figure someone of that age would have grown up when society looked at personal responsibility and privilege-vs-rights different than over the last 50 years...but then I figured that when he was in his 20's the 1960's must have really been good to him...

Name:  wow man.jpg
Views: 422
Size:  26.0 KB
    "You're messing with my zen thing, man!"

mtbr member
    Ive had runners, dog walkers, fishing dude walk out in front of me on MUP's. It used to annoy me but then i figured its my own fault for not seeing them or hauling butt around turns. Now I just clamp a fishing bell on my bars when I use them and have no issues.