Enough with the effin' rain!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2010

Enough with the effin' rain!

Because my commute is on the longer side (22 miles each way) I can only let my self ride to work twice a week because of the time commitment and work schedules (I work from home Wednesdays and then go for a group ride in the evening). With the way my schedule works, Monday and Fridays are really the only days for me to ride but for the second week in a row it is forecast to be in the low 50's and pouring rain on Monday AM. Enough! I realize that I could just man up and deal with the weather but I really don't enjoy riding in the rain when the temps are below 60 (and even when it is warmer it still isn't great).

I realize that I am whining but after all of the snow of this past winter I am really itching for some good riding weather. Current forecast for Friday is 81 and sunny - I am hoping that holds.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Hurry! Someone dial whine-one-one and get the whambulance! WHAAAAAAAAA WHAAAAAA

Good rain gears makes it not matter.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    You get no sympathy from here. I live in Germany, where; If you don't ride in the rain... you don't ride!

What kind of gear are you wearing? Are you getting wet (no smart ass remarks here, please you guys know what I mean). I find thta if my outer layer is water proof enough to actually keep me dry under neath, it makes a BIG difference as opposed to riding in clothes that let me get soaked to the skin in a matter of minutes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmucker
    Hurry! Someone dial whine-one-one and get the whambulance! WHAAAAAAAAA WHAAAAAA
    Yes, I am being an unabashed whiner and I make no apologies. Every year or two I allow myself the indulgence of a good whine, then I crack open a beer and move on. Whining over.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonesy33
    You get no sympathy from here. I live in Germany, where; If you don't ride in the rain... you don't ride!

What kind of gear are you wearing? Are you getting wet (no smart ass remarks here, please you guys know what I mean). I find thta if my outer layer is water proof enough to actually keep me dry under neath, it makes a BIG difference as opposed to riding in clothes that let me get soaked to the skin in a matter of minutes.
    I lived in Germany for a couple of years and came to the conclusion there that if you didn't like the weather, just wait an hour and it would change. I completely understand your challenge.

My problem isn't staying dry - that is easy enough to accomplish. Unfortunately, I have a tendency to overheat even when wearing quality gear that breathes well. I can keep the rain off but will still be completely soaked by the time I get to work because of sweat.

Fat-tired Roadie
    When I was commuting to the same place every day, I kept a change of clothes there and rode in in cycling clothes and tights. I got wet, but 22 miles is longer than I can stay dry in rain gear - nothing I've owned so far is water proof enough to keep me dry, and breathable enough not to turn into a swamp inside. At least, not in mild temperatures like the 50s.

Shoe covers rock. So do fenders.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

No-Brakes Cougar
    Well, if you just plain don't enjoy it then I guess there's nothing for it but Schmucker is right that the right gear really makes or breaks it. Then again, I don't really have much in the way of rain gear. I love the rain and don't mind getting wet. The only thing I really rely on is my goggles which prevents rain from beading up on my glasses and my gloves for swiping the water off.
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Yor not related to the wicked witch from the wizard of oz are you? Get out there and ride, at least it's warm out! Just wanted to post from my new I-phone hahahaha

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch
    Shoe covers rock. So do fenders.
    I hated the idea of fenders and avoided riding in the rain. So never had them until I wanted to ride wet pavement and mild rain (thunderstorms are out) after moving here and realized that this is farm country and it's not just water and some grit being splashed on your face and that skunk stripe may have more than one reason for it's name. That's not just Bulls**t, there's cow, horse, pig,.... Ahh! The freah scent of washed pavement after a heavy rain! I watch out for 'Honey Wagons' too - there's lots worse than a hard rain! Come to think on it, lead isn't too good either.

Members who have read this thread: 0