Energy Return Wheel- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2014

Energy Return Wheel

I cam across this one day searching for flat free tires. Its called the ERW Corporate site - Home Its pretty expensive now but if it catches on I'd pay a fair price to be free of flats. Its an idea that has potential for anything that uses a tire with air in it. You'd always have a certain psi per say regardless of temp.

I'd rather be on my bike
    In. Just for the idea of never getting a flat....
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Their website looks like a marketing scam. Here is a Youtube video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9SWIsY8rzQ

There is more at their channel. If it is more reliable than pneumatic tires and tubes, I am all for it. Just recently I got stranded on a 14-16 mile night commute home due to a flat and had to call my mother. Thankfully I transfered and am back to being 1.5 miles from work.

mtbr member
    Interesting. But $1500 for the wheelset is a bit pricey for a commuter. Lock up your frame and take your wheels to your cubicle, I guess. They don't give weights, tire widths, or spoke count for the hoops. Makes me suspicious that for road wheels, they are heavy. An ounce on the rim is like a pound on the frame. So teh weight savings of no pump, spare tube, or patch kit, may not be there. Though for commuting the weight weinie aspect is not as important. Still, $1500 will buy a lot of tires and tubes. The set for velomobiles where changing a flat is a chore and cost and weight are less of an issue, and being rescued by a friend or family member is a problem (doesn't fit a lot of trunks) seems a very smart application.

NDD
    mtbr member
    I feel like this would be an incredible pain. I don't know why, I just don't trust it. It sounds like a spambot wrote that web page, too.

mtbr member
    I can't find a reference for it, bit if I remember a report that I read correctly, the Austrians, short of a source of rubber in WWI, used springs to support a steel tire with a rubber tread surface. That was similar to this bike tire. They worked fine in a straight line but cornering forces tore the tires off the spring understructure. So I hope someone else did these poterntially face planting tests needed to confirm you these track well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Only downside is you would have one tire pressure/stiffness. Like all new ideas its expensive. But I do like the idea of being flat proof.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I don't know, flat resistant city tires work pretty well for me and are much cheaper. I wonder how easy it would be to change treads for different seasons.