eBike Commuting: Front vs Rear Only Pannier at high speeds- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2017

eBike Commuting: Front vs Rear Only Pannier at high speeds

I just picked up an eBike (Trek Crossrip+) that is a speed pedelec, class 3 assist up to 28mph. In my initial commutes, I sustain 22+ mph speeds for most of my commute outside of traffic lights / intersections. There are multiple climbs on my commute. 16 miles, ~600 ft elevation - all smooth paved road.

It came with a rear rack, and I'll be converting my existing bike packing bags setup to a dedicated pannier setup.

I was thinking of buying Ortlieb Back Roller Classics, which are sold as a pair, and 20L each. I can fit all of my commuting gear (clothes, laptop, multiple meals, ebike charger, etc) in a single 20L bag and the total weight is somewhere ~15lbs.
    https://ortliebusa.com/product/back-...-classic-pair/

However it had me thinking whether I should use a front or rear pannier and the pros and cons of each. In my situation, the bike itself is 46lbs base weight and it would be great to remove the rear rack and put one of the front for weight distribution and possibly better battery life.

But if I go with the rear 1 bag setup, it will probably be better for aerodynamic drag at that speed vs 2 bags up front? The difference in aero is crazy at these speeds!

Also, if I do use just one bag on the rear...should I put it on the non drive side of bike to balance weight, or on the drive side (right) to be out of the way of passing cars / traffic?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    if you're using the assist, do you need to worry about aero? my vote is for non drive side on the bag...

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by analoguekid View Post
    if you're using the assist, do you need to worry about aero? my vote is for non drive side on the bag...
    I am thinking about the aero to extend battery life as much as possible. I'm quickly learning that Range anxiety is definitely a thing.

Guidosan
    Jan 2004
    I think go with what you are most comfortable with as I am not sure if it really matters. Will you get a huge savings in battery life? I also wonder about the handling if you put the bags up front. I don't know, just a random thought.
    Is the bike that much heaver on the drive side? If so, then of course balance the weight with the bag. I don't believe the bag will stick out so far that you need worry about traffic. If cars are that close to you, they will probably be hitting your shoulder before the bag.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by guidosan View Post
    I think go with what you are most comfortable with as I am not sure if it really matters. Will you get a huge savings in battery life? I also wonder about the handling if you put the bags up front. I don't know, just a random thought.
    Is the bike that much heaver on the drive side? If so, then of course balance the weight with the bag. I don't believe the bag will stick out so far that you need worry about traffic. If cars are that close to you, they will probably be hitting your shoulder before the bag.
    I was wondering the same things. I also suspect that battery life will be about the same either way, and the weight doesn't matter as much. At least in hoping that. And I might be over thinking this, where weight up front would take away from the bike handling.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Bike handling is a factor don't care what type. Cost of bags, etc. But what makes you comfortable? I don't see too much concern regarding aero.
    DAMN THE MUD, FULL SPEED AHEAD!!