Early Bird Gets The Worm!!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Early Bird Gets The Worm!!

I never thought i would say this, but i love my 17mile commute.(each way). and now ---it's not long enough!!!

At first I had a hard time getting up early in the morning and convincing myself to get outta bed and saddle up. But after 3 weeks of commuting at 6am. not only have i gotten to work faster but i cant even sleep in past 5am on the weekends anymore. I have been starting my MTB excursions on saturday and sunday 2 hours earlier than i usually do. It feels great!! i get to work so early now that i have time for coffee and a pastry, and photoshoots of my beautiful bicycle. I even get a chance to get over to the ocean for a morning breathing session. I work within walking distance from the beautiful pacific ocean in laguna beach and not once have i ever been to the sand to take a breather. Life is getting more visual, and positive. I owe it all to my bike!! If anybody is reading this that has yet to commute to work by bicycle, take these words of advise- get out of your cage on wheels and huff it to work. Your soul will be revitalized!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    nice pics! i've been trying to decide if i wanted to commute to school/work (work at school lol) and can't make up my mind lol it's only six miles one way but it isn't exactly through the most desired neighboorhood but i think i'm gonna try it soon when my foot feels better! to bad i don't have the cool views and photo ops that you have
    2009 Gary Fisher Mako
    92' Trek 830 Antelope in restoration being turned into a commuter

mtbr member
    Good for you man. I have half the commute and did up my hardtail into a commuter, but have yet to actually commute (I know...pretty weak). It's not even like my commute is a horrible route (I live on the front range of CO) with some pretty kick arse views. I will take heed to your advise and plan on doing up a test ride soon. I do like the idea of getting up earlier and going to bed earlier. I also like the "license plate" for your ride.

Bedwards Of The West
    Amen Brother!! I feel the exact same way. This is my 5th or 6th year commuting to work, and I could never go back to driving. Sunrise on the way to town sets the tone for the whole day.
    ...those of us in the mountains are getting ready for the long, dark winter... the only feeling better than the one you are describing is the one that you get the first time the sun comes up on your ride in March or April after a winter of single-digit temps. Talk about your sould being revitalized...

...and I'm still a big fan of your bike. How is the internal gearing working for you after a few weeks of use? I'm itching to build another one, and I'm leaning towards a 29er rigid mtb frame/fork, on one midge bars, and I'm still torn on the internal gearing...
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    That bike is SWEET man. I am laid off right now and money is tight but I definitely want to build a nice commuter.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    commuter boy. wow!! fortunately I live in so.cal so the harshest winter i will experience is a rainy 50 degree morning!! but i will have to get some fenders for that. you know what for my commute the IGH is working out great other than some slippage in 4th gear. its kinda wierd i keep having to adjust the tension on it when it does that. it might be cable stretch.. still trying to figure it out. luckily i built it up with barrel adjusters on the brakes and shifter. very smart move when running IGH. the hardest part of my commute is when i add the CHolla trail, the easiest gearing i have is 44-20. I do it but it hurts!! but its kinda easy now. other than the weight of the hub it is perfect for a commuter. A full 3x9 setup is way overkill, unless you are in touring mode! I admit this bike was absolutely purpose built for my commute, and it is absolutly perfect.. DO IT BRO!!!

Bedwards Of The West
    Right now I'm running 1x8 gearing with a 50 tooth road sprocket up front and a MTB rear cassette (12-32 I think). I'd love to dump the cassette and derailleur, just for looks if nothing else. I have a couple good hills and a mile or so of dirt roads on my commute, but I could get by with even less gear options than I have.

OH and if you don't get custom wood fenders for that ride, you will be making a mistake. It's begging for them!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    IGH is definitely for you then brother. hit me up i can score it cheap!!!
    funny you say that i have been looking at those custom wood fenders.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Fan of your bike. Not of early mornings.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Great pics and great looking bike. I am commuting to work at least 3 days a week and riding more on weekends. I too look forward to it. My weight is dropping steadily, it helps my running fitness and I love the breeze in my face riding down some long descents..

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    You make good points man... I used to commute about 8km (5 miles) to work. I did it almost everyday and aside from it actually being faster than driving, I didn't really think much about it... Now I commute 23km to work and it takes about an hour each way. Each and every ride is an experience with it's own feel to it. It's a great way to start and end the day....

It also helps me create a great amount of mental separation between work and home... I don't bring any mental garbage home from work.

My original goal was to ride at least tow to three days of each week. In fact I think it'll end up being more than that because now I find myself lookign forward to the days when I have to drive with some blah-de-blah feeling. I might get a cargo bike so I don't have to drive in atall.... I jsut have to plan a little more time for thoise days when I need to bring home groceries, mail etc.

Bedwards Of The West
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesy33
    It also helps me create a great amount of mental separation between work and home... I don't bring any mental garbage home from work.

Exactly. This is probably the biggest benefit to riding for me (and my family )

No-Brakes Cougar
    That's really great coffeespecial, I'm glad to hear it. I used to drag mornings out to the bitter end, get up as late as possible, skip breakfast. I still do tend to rush around a lot these days but it's nice when you have extra time in the morning to sort of wake up before you have to start working. Biking is the only way to go.
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Awesome. I'm about to start commuting and dread hitting the road at 630am, your love for it helps..

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by XC Lust
    Awesome. I'm about to start commuting and dread hitting the road at 630am, your love for it helps..
    After a very short time, you'll dread those days when you have to stick your key in the ignition and drive in (running errands, picking up kids afeer work etc.)...

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesy33
    After a very short time, you'll dread those days when you have to stick your key in the ignition and drive in (running errands, picking up kids afeer work etc.)...

YES!! you will feel like something is just missing. And you get all cranky.

No-Brakes Cougar
    The longer I ride my bike, the more I hate driving. Where as before I merely tolerated the poor driving habits of other motorists, now I practically road rage every time I get behind the wheel. I don't mind driving interstate or lonely, mountain twisties so much, it's city driving that sends my blood pressure through the roof.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary the No-Trash Cougar
    The longer I ride my bike, the more I hate driving. Where as before I merely tolerated the poor driving habits of other motorists, now I practically road rage every time I get behind the wheel. I don't mind driving interstate or lonely, mountain twisties so much, it's city driving that sends my blood pressure through the roof.
    Amen! Preach it, brother!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary the No-Trash Cougar

Gary you sound like you had to roll to work in the cage today!!

No-Brakes Cougar
    Actually, I've been off all week. Today though, as you are well aware is the first day of Labor Day Weekend. Every year the Greek Orthodox Church in town has a festival through Labor Day Weekend and traffic is insane. I had to drive to the bank because I bruised the crap out of a toe (it's all black) to get some quarters and I actually found myself screaming at cars. Whoa Gary. time to calm down there....

mtbr member
    Great pics!

Enjoy the ride
    Awesome bike....love me some Vassago
    ~live vicariously through yourself~

ride the moment
    However, its the second mouse that gets the cheese.
    Hey Butthead, are we gonna die? - Beavis

Members who have read this thread: 0