E bike- Mtbr.com

Thread: E bike

sofa king awsm
    Sep 2008

E bike

So I am thinking about getting an e bike. My commute is 32 km each way. And forest fires have made the hill climbs difficult.

Will I be kicked out of the club? will I have to switch to the...ebike forum? Shudder.
    Baby, I want my face to be your quiver killer.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Bluth View Post
    So I am thinking about getting an e bike. My commute is 32 km each way. And forest fires have made the hill climbs difficult.

Will I be kicked out of the club? will I have to switch to the...ebike forum? Shudder.

If it makes the commute more manageable by all means.

Cycologist
    Commuting is a good use of an ebike.
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I think ebikes make a lot of sense for commuting. They make longer distances more manageable and make it easier to deal with different temps without having to deal with some of the clothing issues.

Your Best Friend
    Ebikes are genius for commuting. They drastically change the effort required and can make a ride much more enjoyable which is key to keeping you motivated. I picked up a cargo bike and added a BionX motor kit. The bike is big and heavy but with the e conversion it makes it feel like a much smaller bike and because it's a cargo bike, I can carry kids or groceries.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

CB of the East
    You ride 32km each way? That sounds like e-bike material. But you have to promise to keep riding a "real" bike sometimes or off to the e-bike forum it is for you. They haven't kicked me out after posting a picture of my TT bike on a mountain bike forum. (Then again, people stopped responding to my posts, Hmmmm)

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Have you had a chance to test ride any e-bikes? You do sound like a good candidate for one, I got to ride a few different styles in Switzerland and I thought the mid-drive bikes felt more "normal" than the hub motor bikes. Either one should get you up the hills though.

mtbr member
    I have a friend who is commuting a flat stretch of 12k/8m each way on a 25 kph e-bike. it is a very exposed stretch though so even in the morning he already can have a 10-15kt headwind.

he is pretty much excited about it for following reasons:

-Hardly/no sweat => No special bike clothes necessary.

-The trip is very reliable: No matter of headwind, hills, heavy/knobbed tires or whatever can slow you down. If more hills or strong headwind: You always need the same time for the trip. After a lot of headwind, he has 60% charge instead of the usual 75% left when coming home. Not really a dealbreaker....

The downside might be
    - weight, wont find them below 20kg I guess. Might become an issue if you have to carry it up stairs or something.
    - Motors/batteries/electronics may not be suitable for winter (cold / salt)
    -It can NOT be thrown into a river. Being submersed will kill the motor and electronics for sure.

So if you can charge every day, it is definitely a good idea. I personally think I would take an e-bike if my distance would increase or would have more climbing. Currently I need ~35min for my 11k/7m flat stretch which I can live with.

I dont know about the US. Here in Germany (probably harmonised across the EU) a 25 kph bike is free of insurance, for a 45kph bike you need the same insurance as for a 50kph (~50cc) moped/motorbike and a helmet must be worn by law (you should do that anyway).

Make sure to test ride it. Here in Europe, the cheapest ones are considered dangerous since the motor controlling is bad: If you stop pedalling, the motor might keep pushing for 2 seconds. Not good for quick stops etc.

So for you, yes! It would definitely make sense. I would give the a "GO" and please share your experiences. You will still be welcome in the forum and this thread I guess.

sofa king awsm
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclingdutchman View Post
    -It can NOT be thrown into a river. Being submersed will kill the motor and electronics for sure.
    How about if I just ride it into a river?

Thanks for the comments guys/ladies. I've been investigating and it looks like ebikes are getting infinitely better every year.

I rode an ebike a couple years ago that had a throttle I rarely even needed to pedal except on steep hills. Quite frankly, while fun, it felt like I was riding a small motorcycle.

Whatever I go for, I would prefer NOT to have a throttle and strictly have pedal assist.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    32km, hell yeah I would get one too!

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    You need a front hub driver e bike (switch to middle driver if you need climbs a lot.), let's say 350W 36V , kill 32KM in half hours. or maybe more powerful.
    Go further go faster.
    https://www.iubike.com/

sofa king awsm
    Sep 2008
    No. You are wrong. Mayor of Wrongville Wrong.

WRONG

I dream on two wheels
    I'm in the same boat. Been riding 22 miles each way to work for the last 5 years, and 13 miles each way for 5 years before that, and to be honest its getting a little tedious and I'm having a hard time finding the fun in it anymore, especially if there is a headwind.
    Whiskey

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I picked up a Haibike Xduro Trekking 4.0 (the only one with beefy tires and commuter setup) and it has changed my life.

I used to ride a standard trekking bike on the daily commute, but I recently moved and now had a big mountain between me and work. 1.5 hours on the trekking bike eventually dwindled down to 35 minutes on my e-bike with chip.

The wife got one also and I will say she rides more now than before since it doesn't require getting completely kitted out for normal distances.

Wonderful tools, highly recommend it even if your commute was short.

I dream on two wheels
    Quote Originally Posted by tratch View Post
    I picked up a Haibike Xduro Trekking 4.0 (the only one with beefy tires and commuter setup) and it has changed my life.

I used to ride a standard trekking bike on the daily commute, but I recently moved and now had a big mountain between me and work. 1.5 hours on the trekking bike eventually dwindled down to 35 minutes on my e-bike with chip.

The wife got one also and I will say she rides more now than before since it doesn't require getting completely kitted out for normal distances.

Wonderful tools, highly recommend it even if your commute was short.
    Damn, thats awesome.
    Whiskey

mtbr member
    I broke down and ordered a Specialized Turbo Vado 6.0 for my commute. Now I will be a Specialized and and e-bike owner in one fell swoop. I still plan on my pedal bike at least 3 times a week, but figure this can eliminate the days I need to drive for errands, or when I have breakfast or late meetings, or for a rest day when I want to do something harder the day before.

Commute is 16.5 miles each direction, which takes just a bit over an hour. Hoping to reduce my time to something closer to 45 minutes as I will still have some sections of MUP that won't facilitate the 28 MPH capability of the bike.

Update to follow after I give it a full rundown.

mtbr member
    Thatís looks like it would be a great commuter. Congratulations. I confess if it were me, I would have been inclined to buy an e-bike that could also run our local single track and paved trail system (legal here).