Dyno hub lights, why did I wait so long.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Dyno hub lights, why did I wait so long.

Hi everyone their have been a few threads here about commuting lights. One of them started me down the path of Dyno lights to replace my battery set up. I commute every day on shift work so most days I need to run the lights. Keeping them charged was a problem some days, or maybe I needed to be better organised

Well those days are over for me, I could not be happier with my new setup. I found some blogs about the Shutter Precision Dynamo hubs which rated them highly. And one of my LBS carried them in stock, bonus.

I went for PD-8 model which provides all the power I need with very little drag. I don't have a way to measure it, but I honestly cannot fell any resistance when it runs.

Dyno hub lights, why did I wait so long.-dsc02529.jpg

Did I mention how small they are. As a bonus my old hub gave the same spoke length. So I ended up with a very cheap wheel rebuild.

Thats the hub sorted again this forum provided the pointers as to which lights to run. I knew I wanted as much front power as possible.

The German brands seemed to rate highly and I went for a Busch and Muller Lumotec IQ-X.

Wow I was blind and now I see

Dyno hub lights, why did I wait so long.-img_1613.jpg

Dyno hub lights, why did I wait so long.-img_1617.jpg

Its rated at 100 Lux and I do not doubt it. This thing shines, spreads the full width of a suburban street throws a long way up the road. It has a shaped reflector like a car beam, so you do not blind anyone coming towards you. Its simply fantastic.

With the power from the hub you have to slow to a walking pace before it dims. You will never run out of light no matter how slow you go.

The rear light, on the recommendation of my LBS I went with the Busch and Muller TOPLIGHT line plus. When I first looked at it in the shop I doubted it was going the provide enough light.

Dyno hub lights, why did I wait so long.-img_1608.jpg

Well I was so wrong the whole thing shines like a motorbike brake light. I have never had cars give me so much space at night. It stays on for minutes after you stop as well.

I have ridden with this setup for a little over a month now, and honestly I could never go back the battery lights. The simplicity and the light output is amazing.

I now leave them on all the time, and hope they manage to last a long time. But so far I believe its the best addition I have ever made to my commuting bike.

since 4/10/2009
    A dynamo hub/light setup is going to be the next major component change my bike gets. My battery powered lights are strong and have been good. but keeping the battery charged is a bit annoying, and I have to use a larger seat bag than I want to contain the battery. The wires are also fat and ugly.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I switched to dyno-hub and lights a few years ago... they are truly fantastic. That new IQ-X looks great; I have one bike with an old IQ-Cyo, and two with the Luxos-B which I love. That IQ-X looks brighter, wider, and all around nicer for a mere $21 extra.

I run the Toplight for my rear light too, and love it.. Do you have the "Toplight Brake Plus" or just the "Toplight Plus"? The 'brake' senses when you stop and gets brighter... I've never tried that one, but would be interested in thoughts if you have it.Dyno hub lights, why did I wait so long.-pugsley-2.jpgDyno hub lights, why did I wait so long.-pugsley-4.jpgDyno hub lights, why did I wait so long.-crosscheck-3.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    PS is that the Tangerine Dream CrossCheck? Love that color.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by evandy View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CrossCheck-3.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	471.7 KB 
ID:	1073601
    I did a double-take when I saw your bike...I've since removed the tangle, so the resemblance is more uncanny.

Dyno hub lights, why did I wait so long.-img_20151104_153434.jpgDyno hub lights, why did I wait so long.-img_20151104_153415.jpg

I've got the brake+, but have never bothered to find out if anyone actually notices it; it was only a few $$ more, so, why not?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by evandy View Post
    PS is that the Tangerine Dream CrossCheck? Love that color.
    Hi mate thanks for the feedback. The bikes is a Troll in Agent orange, I too love the colour. I have a Crosscheck that was the old Grey Mist colour. It was showing some rust so I had it resprayed a few months ago. It now looks like this.

Dyno hub lights, why did I wait so long.-dsc03809.jpg

After see how good the Dyno set up runs and your set up I have been toying with the idea to set the Crosscheck up with lights as well.

Would be great in summer to not have to get up at sparrows to beat the heat. Just ride after work and into the cooler night.

My back light does not have the braking feature, sounds cool but if someone coming up behind does not see the TOPLIGHT Plus they truly are blind.

Thanks mate good riding.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by wschruba View Post
    I did a double-take when I saw your bike...I've since removed the tangle, so the resemblance is more uncanny.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20151104_153434.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	257.4 KB 
ID:	1073617Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20151104_153415.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	152.5 KB 
ID:	1073618

I've got the brake+, but have never bothered to find out if anyone actually notices it; it was only a few $$ more, so, why not?
    Twins indeed

since 4/10/2009
    I know a guy with the brake+. It's a very cool light, and it's the one that I want for a rear light on a dynamo setup.

mtbr member
    For my errand bike, I needed more brake and wanted a Dynohub. I posted it some thread here somewhere. At that time you could still get a threaded 1" stem disc fork, but the weight of the fork, disc, and dyno was the same as the new (at that time) 90 mm drum brake Sturmey Archer Hub. I rebuilt a three LED battery light for it, and while I planned a taillight, the Toplight Brake + changed my mind about building one.

A blurry photo of the light mounted on front of my DIY rack (it has a fresnel lens and a hood to get driver friendly night beam:

It uses a voltage doubler circuit to get low speed output up. The commercial lights have improved since, an I would not now bother with the DIY route. It is used more as a daytime running light. The Sturmey Archer hub has less drag with the light on but has more drag than other hubs.

The freedom from charging batteries and the fat battery cords is very nice.

BrianMc

mtbr member
    Nice Pics Brian!

I have a Shimano 3N71 (Deore I believe) Dynamohub in the front wheel with B&M lights. Works perfect, very bright indeed.

My dynamohub is almost 2 years old and I have ridden 7500km/~4700m on it. Works flawlessly until now. However, I dont know if I just pretend it or not but I believe I feel some drag when I put it on. I am now running it in "daylight" mode with just two very tiny LEDs on, that shine into the reflector. In Night mode it turns on the main LED which puts out 80 Lux, which is enough to blind people if you want.

Of course I can turn it off completely but it doesnt feed the tail light either - which I want to be always on.

So even if I do notice very little drag, I am still glad I have it. But yours is very affordable, hmmm... maybe I might build a lighter front wheel with it...