Dvr- Mtbr.com

Thread: Dvr

mtbr member

Dvr

I've been seeing in car DVR's for really reasonable prices. They capture HD at 15fps and loop record. I don't have any real reason to do this, but thought it would be cool to have a DVR on my commuter recording front and back. Not sure if I can find the right components, but it seems like this should be feasible. Anyone try this or seen any candidate DVR systems?

mtbr member
    You could go that route. Or a lipstick camera to a laptop. However, the POV cameras like the Drift Innovations Stealth (I own) or the other ones like Go-Pro on the market will do HD. In 1920x1080 I can easily read the plate of a trailer as it goes by even though it is to the left of the tailgate and a lane and a half away.

Most come with a short burst feature so you can turn it on at dangerous intersections or other anticipated traffic situations. Unfortunately the ones you need most are the ones you did not see coming. I find the processing power for HD is formidable for long recordings and it will drive a PC upgrade for me.

I also find it an extra bother. My lights and vest have really toned down the frequency and severity of poor road manners around me whether by training the usual suspects or by giving enough lead time to soak in, I do not know. Bottom line, is I have not been using it. It will record your traffic violations, too! ;(

BrianMc

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    You could go that route. Or a lipstick camera to a laptop. However, the POV cameras like the Drift Innovations Stealth (I own) or the other ones like Go-Pro on the market will do HD. In 1920x1080 I can easily read the plate of a trailer as it goes by even though it is to the left of the tailgate and a lane and a half away.

Most come with a short burst feature so you can turn it on at dangerous intersections or other anticipated traffic situations. Unfortunately the ones you need most are the ones you did not see coming. I find the processing power for HD is formidable for long recordings and it will drive a PC upgrade for me.

I also find it an extra bother. My lights and vest have really toned down the frequency and severity of poor road manners around me whether by training the usual suspects or by giving enough lead time to soak in, I do not know. Bottom line, is I have not been using it. It will record your traffic violations, too! ;(

BrianMc
    Yeah, recording your own violations is a big drawback. At this point I'm really more interested in the technology and curious to review some situations afterwards. Along with lights and reflectors, if it was widely known that bikes could have cameras that might be a deterrent as well. Far fetched idea I know...

since 4/10/2009
    I have a GoPro and agree that the quality is there for reading plates.

I have also ramped up my visibility of late, and have seen a notable increase in the amount of space that I'm given. State law requires 3ft and more often than not I'm given the whole lane whether I take it or not.

I've had a few close calls recently that would have benefited from a camera if they had resulted in a wreck + the driver taking off, but they'd have been so clearly the other person's fault (going the wrong way in a roundabout) if they stuck around that the video would not have been necessary.

If, despite my best efforts at improving my visibility, I had consistent problems with harassment, aggressive drivers, or clueless idiots, I'd surely wear the camera on a consistent basis, though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus2112 View Post
    Yeah, recording your own violations is a big drawback. At this point I'm really more interested in the technology and curious to review some situations afterwards. Along with lights and reflectors, if it was widely known that bikes could have cameras that might be a deterrent as well. Far fetched idea I know...
    I strapped a fairly large old Sony Handicam to the rear rack in July 2010 with a big red LED saying it was recording, and a female minivan driver passed me to turn right in front of me just after the 4 way stop. In spite of how obvious that setup was. Guess she was late for work. Police misbehave in front of their own dash cameras. In built up area everyone is under camera but I don't see much evidence of people changing to reflect that Big Brother is now here. So I don't buy the idea it will add safety any time soon.

Providing evidence for police to follow up is a different matter.

BrianMc

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    I strapped a fairly large old Sony Handicam to the rear rack in July 2010 with a big red LED saying it was recording, and a female minivan driver passed me to turn right in front of me just after the 4 way stop. In spite of how obvious that setup was. Guess she was late for work. Police misbehave in front of their own dash cameras. In built up area everyone is under camera but I don't see much evidence of people changing to reflect that Big Brother is now here. So I don't buy the idea it will add safety any time soon.

Providing evidence for police to follow up is a different matter.

BrianMc
    Yes and no. I don't think that it would work universally, but I have experienced and read about events that were executed on purpose. Perhaps someone would think twice about buzzing a bike if they knew they had cameras, of if they do and then get a ticket from the police or a letter from a lawyer they may not do it again. My cousin was left lying in the street by a driver that hit him and fled. He had significant internal bleeding, lost a kidney and was touch and go in the ICU. Cameras wouldn't have prevented that, but maybe Being able to find the driver could have taken that person off the road, made them pay a penalty that will make them more responsible, or perhaps they wouldn't have fled practically leaving him with the potential to die. Or maybe, this person had committed offenses before, and could have been caught before this happened.

I think that if a system with four cameras and a couple hour capacity to loop record was on the market for around 200 dollars i'd be using it right now.
    Work to Ride - Ride to Work
    There's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing...

Members who have read this thread: 0