• 01-07-2010
    William9_17
    3 Attachment(s)
    Dual Control Shifter/Brake Lever? Short or Long Rear Derailleur?
    Does anyone have experiance with dual control shifters/brake levers? They look very interesting to me but I'm not sure what kind of dif they make if any...Are they a help or a hinderance? Oh and I'm also curious what's the differance between short rear derailleurs and longer models?
  • 01-07-2010
    Schmucker
    Dual control works for some people, but not others. They work really well on the H-bars as the hand positions lends itself to be able to easy be above and below the lever to shift.

The greater the difference in teeth in your cassette and chainrings determines what length of cage you require for your rear derailleur. Shorter cage derailleurs have less chainsuck and is just less hanging out there. You want to run as short of one as possible. If you're running a full triple and full rear mountain cassette you'll need a long cage. If you're running 1x9 you can run a short cage.
  • 01-07-2010
    LUNARFX
    I love the dual shifter setup. At first it was kind of odd because I wasn't used to it, but that would probably be everyone's experience, but once you get used to it, it's very useful if that's "how" you want to shift". I haven't gone heavy on the trails with my new bike, but I would think it would come in handy(literally) going through the technical areas where you're going up and down gears because of your hand positioning. For commuting, I wouldn't spend the extra money if you can spend it elsewhere.
  • 01-07-2010
    EBrider
    I have used dual control shifters for 4 years, and wouldn't ever switch back. The newer design that you have pictured has a nice smooth shift compared to the older design. Its nice not having as much to clutter up your bars.
  • 01-08-2010
    Squash
    My personal preference...
    is for the seperate shifter pod. Mostly because I tend to prefer different brake levers than Shimano. And the dual control just won't let you do that. I've used them before and the do work well, just not my cup of tea.

As for the long and short cage derailleurs, the rule of thumb is, if you use a tripple ring crank set in the front then go with a long cage. If you have a dual ring crank in the front then a short cage should be fine. There are, of course, exceptions to the rule, there always are. But they tend to be rare.

Good Dirt