Drying clothes- Mtbr.com

Thread: Drying clothes

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Drying clothes

I have a 30 minute commute to work. I really don't want to have to do 2X the laundry (in addition to having to buy 2X the clothes (or do laundry more often...)

I have been riding in to work, hanging the shorts and shirt in a locker downstairs then heading up to my office. After work the clothes are mostly dry, I pop them back on and ride home. But the first 5 minutes of the return trip are kinda gross because the clothes are not totally dry. Anyone have a better solution?
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

http://www.austinbike.com

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Clothes will dry faster if they are hung outside of a locker.

jrm
    mtbr member

I use hangers

i hang my shorts outside my locker between the wall and the bank of lockers. Just twist the hook sideways so it stays on the edge of the locker bank.

i hang my shirt on the front of my locker by twisting the hook and threading it through the vents on the front of the locker or i hang it inside the locker on the shelf.

You can vary the how, where and what you hang but you get the pic.

Our locker room gets a lot of use ans sometimes when there's heavy traffic using the showers all day the clothes dont get completely dry so i stash a 2nd shirt in the locker.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Or even outside like a clothes line....you know egyption dry cleaning

Moderator Moderator
    At our new office, we may have storage units like this at our workstations. I was thinking Iíll need to run a small electric fan in there and quietly modify it with some ďventsĒ so that my bike stuff will dry. Or maybe we will actually be able to use lockers in the proposed locker room, but Iím not holding my breath, and as youíve found, they might not dry there either.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mtbxplorer; 08-28-2012 at 10:47 AM. Reason: Looks like the pic didn't work but it's basically a vertical cabinet with solid door/sides.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Unfortuantely the lockers are a.) not vented and b.) made of laminte. There is only one place outside of the locker where you can hang clothes and there are only a few hooks there so I can't really take them up all day with my clothes. Also, there is a concern that if I hang them too far from the locker that someone will move/remove them. I'd really have a crappy commute home in my work clothes

mtbr member
    I get to keep my gear in my server room, hanging my clothes from hangers on overhead ladder racks (for wire runs). I keep the server room at 64 degrees with plenty of air circulation. My stuff dries out in about 2 hours from a 30 minute commute.

Might check with your IT guys to see if you can beg or borrow a little space.
    GoatRidesBikes.com
    Goat Rides Bikes @ YouTube
    "I may be old and fat, but at least I'm slow." - Me

CB of the East
    Most days I hang them out of my locker on one of the hooks. Nobody has complained yet and I'm the only crazy bike commuter that uses the locker room. If they are really wet I bring them to my office and hang them on my custom drying rack (2 fans plugged into a 12V wall wart attached to some bookshelves in my office.)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Drying clothes-2012-08-28-16.18.32.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Unfortunately it is a small company and we are part of a larger building with lots of different companies. We are only one of many tennants, so there is little room to "customize" things. Building management is pretty strict. We aren't supposed to even keep things in lockers, they are supposed to be only for "during workout" use. I have actually taken 2 lockers, one for hanging dry cleaned shirts for the week and one for the wet clothes.

Unhinged Aussie on a 29er
    Have you thought about bringing in two sets of gear? I do this in winter.
    1. Ride in using gear 1. Hang up to dry.
    2. Ride home using gear 2. Clean at home.
    3. Ride in using gear 2. Hang up to dry, put gear 1 in bag (should be dry by now).
    4. Ride home using gear 1. Clean at home.
    5. Steps 1-4.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    That is not a bad idea.

At this point the shorts are less of a problem than the shirt, so because I have lots of jerseys I am gonna just bring a fresh jersey. It doesn't take up much space. Maybe I have been overthinking the laundry portion of things.

Anyway, commuting right to a bar after work to meet with an industry analyst. Told him ahead of time that I will be the sweaty guy. Leaving my fresh jersey (tech T) in my bag and will change when I get there. I am totally digging the commute. Last night I swear my MTB pace was significantly better, riding 6 days a week is really helping me a lot.

Unhinged Aussie on a 29er
    Because we're getting towards the end of the riding season, a lot of this season gear will start hitting sites like Nashbar and your friendly LBS at discounted prices. Last season I picked up some Hincapie bibs at 50% off; I've since worn holes in one (but still wear it), opened a second one to do the trick i mentioned earlier with two sets of gear, and have 3 remaining, which will probably last me until 2014 assuming the Mayans are wrong.

The only advice I have on such an approach is don't lose or gain too much weight.

Bedwards Of The West
    Another advantage to living in a place with single digit humidity averages... my Jeep's not rusty, and my clothes ain't crusty

Mine are dry in 10 minutes no matter where I put them. But you have to remember to seal up the bread bag at lunch, or you have croutons in a half hour. Trade-offs.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Well, yesterday they solved the problem. The workout room was closed for some maintenance. Totally sucked to ride home in 95F heat in business clothes. Then I had to drive in today because I couldn't risk getting there and finding out it was still closed.

Ugh.

scared to post
    i use a fan to dry my stuff in my office so its dry when i leave work
    i'm not joking, posting is scary

Members who have read this thread: 0