Dog Spray = Concealed Weapon?- Mtbr.com
    Moderator Moderator

Dog Spray = Concealed Weapon?

At first I thought this article was just another bicycle dash-n-crash by a drug-carrying ninja, but a line near the end caught my eye: The suspect also had two canisters of dog spray and more than $500 in cash. He is facing charges of carrying a concealed weapon, possession of a controlled substance for the purpose of trafficking and obstructing a peace officer Vernon Morning Star - No light leads to big trouble for Vernon cyclist

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I suppose it would vary based on the state. In NJ, you need to be 18+ and have a valid driver's license to buy mace/bear spray/etc. Technically speaking, anything that could be used as a weapon and concealed could be considered a 'concealed weapon'.

Unfortunately, that is up to the officer/prosecutors to decide what is a 'concealed weapon', unless it is explicitly spelled out in state legislature.

That said, if it's not concealed, it can't be a concealed weapon, can it?

mtbr member
    There are restrictions on even animal sprays in Canada.

http://www.ehow.com/list_5958225_pep...ws-canada.html

Specific provincial laws will apply. It maybe legal on a bike but not on foot?

As a teen driving home late, I was pulled over because it was after midnight. I allowed the car search. Used on a farm, and with rusted out fenders, the trunk was an archeological site. Under a lot of dust and empty seed and feed bags they found an axe with a handle split from the head to about 1/3 of the length.

"Look! A hidden weapon!" says the taller officer.

My brother said,"It sure was hidden! I didn't even know it was there!"

"That would hurt the user more than the other person!" I said.

How a such a pathetic dull axe with a splintery handle could be a 'weapon' was humorous enough. With that honest declaration of no knowledge of it, the second officer roared with laughter.

The taller one realized that Her Majesty's Court would not be amused.

The point is that police can make charges that won't stick. Especially if you upset them.

BrianMc

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    check your state laws and get a permit if necessary however I prefer to carry something with a little more umph then pepper spray.

jrm
    mtbr member

2 canisters of bear spray

AND carrying a concealed weapon. @ least thats how i read it. Its legal to carry it in calif and its a good thing to carry around here

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    There are restrictions on even animal sprays in Canada.

Pepper Spray Laws in Canada | eHow.com

Specific provincial laws will apply. It maybe legal on a bike but not on foot?

As a teen driving home late, I was pulled over because it was after midnight. I allowed the car search. Used on a farm, and with rusted out fenders, the trunk was an archeological site. Under a lot of dust and empty seed and feed bags they found an axe with a handle split from the head to about 1/3 of the length.

"Look! A hidden weapon!" says the taller officer.

My brother said,"It sure was hidden! I didn't even know it was there!"

"That would hurt the user more than the other person!" I said.

How a such a pathetic dull axe with a splintery handle could be a 'weapon' was humorous enough. With that honest declaration of no knowledge of it, the second officer roared with laughter.

The taller one realized that Her Majesty's Court would not be amused.

The point is that police can make charges that won't stick. Especially if you upset them.

BrianMc

In the end you sign a waiver from Health Canada....pay for the product and away you go....no permits no nothing.

No mention of concealed weapons etc...

If fact most people end up carrying it around in their back packs (totally useless, but well concealed)...

If I figure I need it I carry it in the back pocket of a cycle jersey.

psycho cyclo addict
    Given how long it would take to access it and spray, I stick with the same drill that I've used for years:

Avoid dogs when possible
    When not feasible, let them know you are approaching- cough, coast/backpedal a bit, etc.
    On the very rare occasions that a dog runs toward me, I unclip the foot of whichever side the dog is on, continue pedaling with the other foot and wait (while not looking directly at the dog)

I haven't had to kick one yet but most certainly would if it was necessary. After 30+ years of playing soccer I think I could get a dog's attention if needed

since 4/10/2009
    That case sounds to me like since they busted the guy for drugs and fleeing, that they'd also see about getting those cans of pepper spray included as "concealed weapons" on the charge sheet.

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Never carried any spray...
    ...or thought of it being a "C" weapon.

I usually jump off my bike hold it over my head and yell, in the few times I have done this I have ended up laughing at the look on the dogs faces...LOL They "DO" get the idea of what will happen next if they continue to approach. Getting clubbed by my 30 pound bicycle!

One other time at have had to use my water bottle to defend myself against a stray dog once. A good squirt that I am sure went up his nose, quickly had him pawing at his nose, sorry pooch only water, no harm!

Members who have read this thread: 1