Does this look right?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2014

Does this look right?

Does this look right?-008.jpg

Is it normal for the shifter cable to cross like this? I thought they usually ran parallel to each other? My concern is they will rub against each other. FYI its just a few weeks old.

mtbr member
    No. I can't imagine any frame would be designed that way, and it's almost certainly inattention on the part of the shop.

I would say that it could be a pretty easy fix to do at home, except that you might end up needing to shorten the cables or even the housing, and that's tricky if you don't have a good cutter.

Mantis, Paramount, Campy
    Yes, looks great.
    It was set up that way on purpose so the cables route cleaner at the headtube. I route cables that way on almost every bike I set up...including bikes with top tube cable runs.
    There are no issues with them rubbing against each other as cables don't move all that much and in the grand scheme of things shifting doesn't occur all that often.

mtbr member
    Over time the cables will destroy the cable guide around the BB. This causes poor shifting as the cables may hang up on the cable guide. The cables rubbing together will shorten their lifespan and will corrode if exposed to water. Besides all that, it's aesthetically unpleasing.

since 4/10/2009
    As you can see, there is debate about crossing cables.

My mechanics say no to that idea. I would tend to agree, particularly for the above reason ^^^^ they destroy the cable guide at the BB.

What's worse is when the cables get crossed that way on internally routed bikes. It jacks up the shifting for sure.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I cross the cables that way on my Hardrock. I've done it that way for years. So far, the only effect is that the routing is a little cleaner around my head tube.

One of my coworkers once said, "If the experts can't agree on something, it's probably not that important." Not that we're all experts here, but there's a fair amount of accumulated knowledge and experience on the forum.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    One of my coworkers once said, "If the experts can't agree on something, it's probably not that important."
    Fair enough.

I could see doing it your my own bike, just like ditching the little rubber donuts. From a shop though, I think it seems cheesy.

What could go wrong ...
    I have several bikes that I run crossed cables on because as stated above it makes for cleaner cable routing at the headtube ... try running them parallel and see what your routing looks like at the headtube if its not all jacked up then its all good. I have never had a cable fray or show any damage from being crossed and the BB cable guides are fine as well.
    I used to ride to Win ... Now I ride to Grin

While my guitar gently weeps, my bike sits there mocking me

CB of the East

Crossed on my Cross Check

My Cross Check has been running like that since I got it 3 years ago. If I ever change both cables at the same time I might make it straight but as long as it is shifting well, the cables don't get changed. If it does wear out the cable guide, well, those things are pretty cheap. I bought one years ago just to have "in stock" and have never needed to use it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    I cross the cables that way on my Hardrock. I've done it that way for years. So far, the only effect is that the routing is a little cleaner around my head tube.

One of my coworkers once said, "If the experts can't agree on something, it's probably not that important." Not that we're all experts here, but there's a fair amount of accumulated knowledge and experience on the forum.
    Confessed cable-crosser here too.
    Don't think of it as wearing out the cable guide, think of it as the cables self-clearancing.

"If the experts can't agree on something, it's probably not that important." - Words of wisdom right there!

jl
    climb
    My wife's bike is set up like that and I just changed all the cables, along with the handle bars, and brake pads after about ~12 years of good maintenance. The cable were starting to fray at the shifter (where it threads through), not any where else.

The cable routing under the bottom bracket sort of dictates this routing, unless you want to shorten the cables from the shifters. Ride and enjoy...
    We don't need more to be thankful for; we just need to be more thankful.

Members who have read this thread: 0