Does anyone commute and workout?- Mtbr.com
    Na
    Feb 2019

Does anyone commute and workout?

I was working out 3 times a week. then I started commuting and didn't want to stop working out. I decided I was going to ride my bike Monday through Friday and still work out Wednesday and once on the weekend. Come to find out I think it was a little too much because I became a bit ill. It's 12 miles round trip to work and 70% up hill one way. I'm 46 yrs old and think I need to change it up but not sure the best way to go about it. Looking to get some ideas from others who may commute as well as workout.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    My experience with commuting is that you eventually adjust to where it is no longer a significant source of stress, however, in the initial stages, your body will need to complete the Stress-Recovery-Adaptation (SRA) for each ride and each workout. Compounding those two things may be too much initially. The compromise would be to commute 2-3 days a week and workout for the Appropriate period time until your body to adapts to the stress of the commute.

Human Test Subject
    I dont have a car and lift every other day at 39 years old. I average around 100 miles a week commuting and try to get longer rides in on non lifting days.

The only recommendation I have is don't squat and deadlift on the same day. It makes the ride home suck.

EAT MORE GRIME
    you need to ride more
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

jrm
    mtbr member
    Ive got 12 mile commute as well and have found that riding and working out on the same day doesnt allow me enough time to recover over the 5 day work week. So i'll alternate riding and working out days depending on how i feel during the work week and either ride or workout one day over the weekend.

Na
    Feb 2019
    Thanks for the responses. For now I think I'm going to cut out the cardio part of my workout and just do lifting. I do believe maybe I took on a little too much too fast and need to be more patient. I also realize I need to eat a bit more and recognize the signs of when I need to feed myself. Which I've never been very good at.

mtbr member
    The "40 km commute hammerfest to 90-min Yoga" experiment I run every Tuesday night has had mixed results.

About half the time I feel warmed up and way more flexible.

The other half of the time I feel too wasted to hold myself up.

That one time I tried a 10K run commute immediately before yoga will not be repeated.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

mtbr member
    Use the commute as cardio. Skip gym cardio. You'll get used to it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveRider View Post
    Use the commute as cardio. Skip gym cardio. You'll get used to it.
    That's what I do (and I'm also 46 like the OP). I do only strength training when I ride. When it's the wet season I prefer to hit the treadmill and stationary bikes in lieu of the actual ride. 3-4 times lifting weights a week.

I have the benefit of having two routes on my bike, one is about 8 miles one-way and the other is about 16 one way. On the days I lift weights, I take the lower mileage route home and the long on the non-lifting days. If you can swing something like that, do it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    None of my commutes are far at all. My work commute, which Iíll often do 2-3x a day, is less than 10 minutes and my gym, which I hit mid morning, is about 10 minutes as well, so commuting doesnít take a significant fatigue tool on me, but I sure as shit can feel the fatigue in my body riding a bike uphill after heavy squats and after deadlifts.

I only strength train at the gym and only Condition using the actual sport: in the winter, thatís skinning and bootpacking to snowboard and in the summer that is Mtn Biking. Assuming baseline fitness, conditioning is very sport specific where strength is general. With that in mind, conditioning has no place at the gym since, if I want to be in better Bike shape, I clearly have to ride a bike more. Use the gym for what itís best at (strength) and use the bike for what itís best as (conditioning for biking) and a long commute is part of your overall strength and conditioning program. Hitting the treadmill at the gym, within this context, is just junk conditioning volume that you donít need and is wasting precious recovery resources.

fatigue management is the name of when combining strength training with some kind of reasonably serious sport conditioning and this fatigue should be viewed as an overall, singular concept rather than the compartmentalization of fatigue through independent functions of the body. If youíre going to do both seriously, you have to really pay attention to the volume and intensity of both because the stress adds up from all directions.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    What is the point of working out if you are commuting on a bike ?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WooferHound View Post
    What is the point of working out if you are commuting on a bike ?

To build strength, improve overall fitness and increase bone density?
    I brake for stinkbugs

psycho cyclo addict
    I just commute (~38 mile roundtrip) 2-3 times per week. My wife commutes less often and works out 3x per week to mix it up and work on her core strength among other things.

I find the gym inconvenient, boring and never have been a fan of spin classes.
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】