Do you ride singletrack to work?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Do you ride singletrack to work?

Please tell me about the singletrack on your commute so I can dream. Bonus surprise points for commuting to an urban or suburban hub.

(My suburban commute is a highlight of my day that I am super grateful for, but off-pavement is where I like to be)

Rod
    mtbr member
    I only live a mile from work so I take the road on my way to work. On my way home I normally do a 10 mile singletrack ride. There's a lot of ups, downs, rocks, switchbacks, and it's old school riding, which I've grown to love. This loop drops me off 1/10th of a mile from home. If I wanted to stay closer to work I have a 3 mile loop by the lake. The lake loop works great for lunch runs.

Do you ride singletrack to work?-commute.jpg

Do you ride singletrack to work?-tree.jpg

Do you ride singletrack to work?-marley.jpg

Do you ride singletrack to work?-lake.jpg
    Last edited by Rod; 03-13-2018 at 05:04 AM.

Cycologist
    I'm not currently a bike commuter but I plan to be one soon. I have commuted a few times and it does involve single track through a NPS park.

Basically, I'll ride through neighborhoods two miles to the park, then ride 1-1/2 to 3 miles of single track (depending where I cut out). Then along a nice neighborhood road with a bike lane that dead ends at the park. That road dead ends into a really busy road with a bike lane. The bike lane eventually ends, less than two miles from work, and I'll take to the sidewalk. That leads to a very short new multiuse path that isn't quite finished yet but is close. Then a little more road and I'm at my office. Total ride is out 10 miles one way. I've got a CX bikes so since it is mostly road, that's what I'll ride. It's a huge contrast riding the single track compared to riding along the really busy road.

Without the single track, I'd have to ride a narrow, twisty road with a big hill and a good bit of traffic, no sidewalk I could jump on. On the way home, I probably will take advantage of the opportunity to ride more single track or at least the flat path along the river.

Do you ride singletrack to work?-sope-creek-fall.jpg

Do you ride singletrack to work?-lemond_soap_creek_2.jpg
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

mtbr member
    I wish! Although, on occasion, I'll take the long way home and hit up the local greenway (walking path). But shhhhhhhh, it's "illegal."
    Do you ride singletrack to work?-somawolverine.jpg
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

mtbr member
    Wow, ya'll are living the dream commutes. Sweet photos.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    North of Boston, MA, only singletrack on the way home. 8 miles of dirt out of 20, 3 different park areas. Can take 2.5 hours or so, do more of it when it is warmer and I have more day light.
    Last edited by leeboh; 04-30-2018 at 12:12 PM.

mtbr member
    I have a five mile commute in a first ring Minneapolis suburb. I can take the long way and hit Theodore Wirth singletrack (Minneapolis park) that puts me at about 8 miles if I ride the loops one direction. Obviously could do more of the loops on the way home. 12 miles of wooded singletrack. From the singletrack to Target Field in Downtown is only 4 miles of dedicated bike paths.

Such a gem.

Can't see it from the picture but just to the left of the deer is the Downtown Minneapolis skyline.

Do you ride singletrack to work?-deer.jpg

EDIT: 45 North, I'll take any sort of sponsorship $ for the use of this picture!
    "At least I'm enjoying the ride"

16' Trek 8.4 DS
    16' Farley 7
    and I'm OK admitting..
    16' Sturgis

Minneapolis MN

Class Clown
    yeah singletrack brakedown lanes...

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    I commute to a suburb of Seattle. I usually ride a crossbike with tires not suitable for singletrack, every once in a while will ride my MTB and ride this:

Do you ride singletrack to work?-img_20180214_171507622_hdr.jpgDo you ride singletrack to work?-img_20180212_171853446_hdr.jpgDo you ride singletrack to work?-img_20180212_171716909_hdr.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Added some single track to my commute home... maybe 6 of 24 km. The rest is gravel forest roads less about 5 km of asphalt.

Do you ride singletrack to work?-05d7df7b-cebd-46ab-a795-656a6382d380.jpg
    --------------

[WTB] 1987 Cannondale SM800, 20", Pink with airbrushed graphics.

mtbr member
    Riding a little bit of urban singletrack on my commute at the moment (about 8/16km). I've even got some antiforms to look at.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

z1r
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Not so much on my way to work but if my legs don't complain too much I can ride past my house on my way home and into the parks to ride some single track.

Last edited by z1r; 05-11-2018 at 08:39 AM.

mtbr member
    He are a couple more shots from my commute yesterday. I think it might have been our last warm ride home as winter is hitting today down here in Melbourne.

As always it does not look nearly as scary in the photos as it is too ride. One tech section I don't like to ride with the laptop in my backpack as a fall would see me in the river.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

psycho cyclo addict
    Part of my commute for ~15 years was on single track... now it will be more paved paths and city streets
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】

mtbr member
    My commute is pretty much all suburban through Tempe/Chandler AZ. I hit some canal paths, some 45mph 3 lane roads, and some 25mph neighborhood streets. But occasionally I go out of my way to hit some singletrack on South Mountain that is really a little beyond what my bike was meant for. It's fun, but I break stuff. Latest fatality was the front mudflap, tore right off.
    Do you ride singletrack to work?-img_20180615_164440821_hdr.jpg

mtbr member

MTB Commuting

I commute everyday all year long on my MTBs... lately since there hasn't been any rain I have been riding the single track before work as well.

Normal commute on the bike path to the office is 7km each way but I turns into whatever I want because the forest seperates my home and office :-)

I just power off my Garmin when I get to the office so my commute to and from work is on one ride...

Typical daily commute:
    Do you ride singletrack to work?-2.jpg

Longer day out commute:
    Do you ride singletrack to work?-1.jpg

Winter commute:
    Do you ride singletrack to work?-img_2385.jpg

Sometimes the traffic is terrible:
    Do you ride singletrack to work?-img_2481.jpg

Last edited by Hesher123; 07-11-2018 at 12:31 AM.
    2020 SC Hightower v2
    2019 Spec. Stumpjumper
    2018 SC Hightower v1
    2017 Scott Spark 930
    2004 Spec. Stumpjumper