DIY Wet Wipes- Mtbr.com

Thread: DIY Wet Wipes

mtbr member

DIY Wet Wipes

Does anybody in here have a good recipe for DIY Wet Wipes? Target brand is cheap but I figure it'll be even cheaper to DIY.

I found this recipe:
    DIY baby wipes for little tushies | BabyCenter Blog

And this:
    How to Make Disposable Baby Wipes - Disposable Baby Wipes Instructions

I like the technique of cutting a roll of paper towels in half but want a good recipe for the liquid part that will cut through the bacteria in sweat without overly drying my skin out (already have sensitive/dry skin).

Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Why are you so concerned about bacteria in your sweat?

Unless you are using the same wet wipe to clean up your chamois butter and then your forehead, you shouldn't have a problem.

mtbr member
    This is for commuting, I shower before I leave the house, gear up, ride to work, then use wet wipes to wipe myself down before changing into office clothes.

The bacteria in sweat is why sweat stinks, so I want to kill it, sanitize myself and smell better throughout the day.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    So, deodorant is probably your friend, but killing all the bacteria on your skin probably isn't a good idea, they are there for a reason.

The Wired Atlas of the Human Ecosystem | Wired Magazine | Wired.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero View Post
    So, deodorant is probably your friend, but killing all the bacteria on your skin probably isn't a good idea, they are there for a reason.

The Wired Atlas of the Human Ecosystem | Wired Magazine | Wired.com
    Yep, deodorant at the house, refresh at work when I get changed. The Wet Wipes are just kind of an instant shower/refresher at work to clean my skin from the sweat caused by humid 90+ degree commutes.

What do you use to clean yourself up after a 30-40 minute bicycle commute in heat and humidity?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by GTscoob View Post
    Yep, deodorant at the house, refresh at work when I get changed. The Wet Wipes are just kind of an instant shower/refresher at work to clean my skin from the sweat caused by humid 90+ degree commutes.

What do you use to clean yourself up after a 30-40 minute bicycle commute in heat and humidity?
    I'd use wet wipes, but not antibacterial wipes.

I don't commute (I'm in before daylight and drivers don't really pay attention at 6am), I do understand why you desire to refresh and empathize with your scenario.

Moderator Moderator
    I prefer the washcloth and mild soap (Cetaphil cleanser) routine, but to each his/her own.

Consider AC on your next bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    Consider AC on your next bike.
    I was asked (after dropping the car off for service during a warm spell and was about to ride off), what the car dealer fixed on my bike. I said I was having trouble with the air. Great on downhills but not up to much when climbing grades.

OP: An option.

mtbr member
    I think anti-bacterial wipes and hand sanitizer are greatly overused nowadays. I would use a wet washcloth with a tiny bit of soap on it, then rinse it out and wipe the soap off with just a wet washcloth. Each day I would put the washcloth in a plastic bag and bring it home with me and bring back a fresh one the following day.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Straz85 View Post
    I think anti-bacterial wipes and hand sanitizer are greatly overused nowadays.
    Agree completely. I was raised in the "let them eat dirt" generation of parenting.

That being said, still looking for a DIY insta-shower and asking advice from some of the commuters on here. It seems like all the replies are from people that dont commute by bike and dont really have any personal input or advice.

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    if this were a backpacking site you'd already have 40 recommendations for dr bronners soap.

i'd rub a tiny bit of my regular soap on a wet washcloth and put it in a ziplock. if you want something disposable, check out the really good paper towels at home depot or some heavy duty kimwipes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    wash cloth + baby bath liquid dissolved in some water

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
    if this were a backpacking site you'd already have 40 recommendations for dr bronners soap.

i'd rub a tiny bit of my regular soap on a wet washcloth and put it in a ziplock. if you want something disposable, check out the really good paper towels at home depot or some heavy duty kimwipes.
    That was my first thought when I saw this thread also.

mtbr member

The first link I posted mentioned using Bronners castile soap, the local food co-op sells Dr. Bronners stuff so thats probably what I'm going to use as the soap base.

Figuring I'm going to use Bronners castile soap, aloe vera, and essential oils for their antiseptic properties. First run is going to be with wet wipes but then I'll see about picking up or making some small reusable fabric wipes. It would be easy enough to keep a tub of the liquid soap at my office and just bring a new rag each day to use as a wipe, this will definitely be less wasteful and probably cheaper in the long run.

mtbr member

That's actually what I use, I love it. I have a gallon in my closet

Members who have read this thread: 0