Disks or cantilevers?- Mtbr.com
    enjoys skidding

Disks or cantilevers?

I've had a few commuters over the years but I'm trying to plan what my ideal bike is.

I know I want a cyclocross style frame and fork - to fit slightly wider tires.. but I'm undecided on brakes.

What are the preferences around here between disks and cantilever brakes? I will be running drop bars or similar, so if I run disks my only option will be the BB7 road's.

I know it's probably all personal preference, but I'm keen to hear the opinions.
    Last edited by jasevr4; 10-12-2009 at 07:29 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Besides the mini-v's I'm not aware of any V brake options for short pull levers. If you were to buy long pull drop bar levers, you will be able to use any v or disc brake.

I use a cross bike for commuting and I'm okay with cantis. I keep them properly aligned and have no problem stopping.

enjoys skidding
    My bad - A momentary lapse in judgement made me type v-brakes instead of canti's.

Ovaries on the Outside
    You kinda have limited options with disc cross bikes, no?

I'd prefer disc brakes, just because of canti's tendency to squeal.

AZ
    banned
    Discs for wet conditions performance .

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Where do you live? What kind of conditions will you be riding in?

If you will generally be riding in dry, mud-free conditions, canti's will probably work fine, and will give you more options on hub/wheel/rack/frame/fork/rack choices.

If you will ride in wet or muddy conditions, disc will give you better stopping power.

Here in the Seattle area, I have been riding canti's on my cross bike, but will be switching to disc's on my new build.

BTW - IME Canti's don't squeal when properly adjusted.

enjoys skidding
    I'm in Australia. Fricken dry 3 months of the year, but still plenty of water kicking around during winter, and about 1/3 of my commute is either on dirt ot hard pack gravel/sand.

Disc's are certainly the most maintenance free way to go, I'm just not sure if I should be throwing the idea of canti's out the window yet. As mentioned, disc specific cross bikes aren't THAT common, not to mention being in Australia I have access to a lot less too.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Can you get QBP products easily?

The Salsa LaCruz complete bike is ~$1200 here in the US. Disc only cross bike.

enjoys skidding
    Quote Originally Posted by emtnate
    Can you get QBP products easily?

The Salsa LaCruz complete bike is ~$1200 here in the US. Disc only cross bike.
    I've had my eye on them. They certainly look like good value and perfect for what I need.

They retail for $3200 Australian - I wonder how much it would cost me to get one sent through a freight forwarder.

anyone else smell that?
    i like discs, personally....but i'm a heavy guy.

i have a rawland and it has worked out very nicely for me (i run 29er wheels/tires on it).

i also like the looks of the soma cross bike with disc mounts.
    1. Your signature can not be longer than 125 characters.

mtbr member
    Whichever is cheaper or less hassle...

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jasevr4
    Disc's are certainly the most maintenance free way to go, I'm just not sure if I should be throwing the idea of canti's out the window yet. As mentioned, disc specific cross bikes aren't THAT common, not to mention being in Australia I have access to a lot less too.
    Sounds like a perfect commute for disc's. I rode through a wet Seattle winter on canti's, and they worked fine. Using a good wet-weather brake pad is key. I, like most people around here, swear by the Kool Stop Salmon pads.

If you go disc, pay attention to the rear dropout width of your frame. Mtn Bike standard is 135mm, while Road Bike standard is 130mm. You can find 130mm disc wheels, but they are fewer than say 135mm 29er disc wheels. A few of the frames out there are sized to 132.5mm so that you can go either way.

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    BB7 in front, rim in back.

jrm
    mtbr member

STI will only work with Cantis or road BB7s

mini vs will work but you might have to deflate the tire each time you want to remove the wheels.

Im using full deore v brakes with CC v brake levers. But going this route means that you d have to go with bar end or top mount shifters.

Sure would be great if someone made a STI that pulled a linear brake.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Anyone own the latest Dura Ace and Ultegra levers? They are supposed to have more lever pull, which makes me curious if its enough for V-brakes.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm
    Sure would be great if someone made a STI that pulled a linear brake.
    http://www.problemsolversbike.com/pd...avel_agent.pdf

enjoys skidding
    At the moment my options are fairly limited because I'm picky.

Currently I'm hoping to build something with bb7's front and rear, alfine hub, and midge bars with Alfine specific STI levers.

The problem is finding a frame that is suitable for SS, and also has disc tabs. The Vassago Fisticuff looks good, I just don't like the fact that the rear caplier needs adjusting (or maybe even removal) every time you get a flat. But that's me being picky again.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Quote Originally Posted by jasevr4
    The problem is finding a frame that is suitable for SS, and also has disc tabs. The Vassago Fisticuff looks good, I just don't like the fact that the rear caplier needs adjusting (or maybe even removal) every time you get a flat. But that's me being picky again.
    I don't know if that is true. I've had a monocog and a KM, both of which have a similar set up, especially the KM. You should be able to adjust the caliper spacers that will allow the wheel to slide right off and bite the rotor well, so you can stop as fast as you dare as soon as you flat, and then slide the wheel off without ever adjusting the caliper.

I'm 99% sure that this is true- I only hedge because the KM/Monocog both have tabs that allow the caliper to be adjusted. Where I think track style drop outs becomes a problem is when you have full fenders.

In any case, if you can't get the wheel off with relative ease without fenders, you just weren't picky enough with the alignment.

enjoys skidding
    I read it on another forum about the Fisticuff - can't confirm as I've never seen one in the flesh. I toyed with the idea of a drop bar 29er but I suppose what I'm really looking for is something in the "monstercross" category.

I didn't even think about the fender issue umarth - thanks. I'm actually wondering if the La Cruz is still my best option using some Forward Components eBB shells (http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=490528) and the Alfine.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    I have a Monocog and there is no need to mess with the brake when taking the wheel off. I am running Avid Juicy's.

jrm
    mtbr member

Those are the $.05 solution

id use tektro mini vs first.

Members who have read this thread: 0