disc brake problem- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2007

disc brake problem

My new bike has bb5's on them and this weekend it got cold out. I was riding and the rear brake started sticking i have to give it a kick to release. I got home and put the bike in the garage fora few hours until i had some free time to look further into it and it was working fine so i made sure everything was clean and went riding today. same thing happened. any idea on what is happening to make it stick. i figure it has to be cold related.

mtbr member
    These are cable operated, right? Water in the cable housing freezing and binding the cable so it won't release? If you can set it outside to get cold and get the brakes to stick then use a hair dryer to warm the housings and the brake(s) release, you have identified the problem. I have worked chain lube in a sticky housing, but not for a disc brake.

Others will have more.

BrianMc

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    I am with BrianMc, maybe a freezing moisture problem. First thing to do is isolate the problem. With the system frozen up, pop the cable housing off one of the eyelets to take tension off so that you can actuate the brake lever and move the brake cable back and forth inside the cable housing without actuating the brake (if you cannot pop the cable housing off an eyelet then loosen the screw the connects the brake cable to the brake itself and take tension off that way, but you will have to retighten and adjust when you are done).

Now use your hand to hold tension on the brake side of the cable while you work the lever with your other hand. Does the cable slide freely (it should slide VERY easily)? If not, you might have water or some other gunk in the housing or levers that is binding things up in the cold.

If the cable system seems OK, try moving the brake lever arm on the caliper by hand and verifying that the pads move in and out freely. The action should be smooth with no sticking. If it's not, then you've probably gotten something in the brake caliper itself, or maybe something wrong with the spring that hold the pads apart that only shows up in the cold. If you are comfortable disassembling the caliper (it's not hard) I would go down that route, otherwise take the bike to your local shop.

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    thanks guys. I think its working good now. I did both clean the caliper and blow some hot air up the housing. everything is moving smooth now. ill will report back after i endure the freeze. thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Pick up a bottle of lock de-icer. Works just the ticket on cables running through housing.

mtbr member
    Bearing grease works well for brake housings. It blocks moisture out a lot better than oil. Never had a problem with it in snow or freeze rain.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    looking back i think this was totally a moisture issue. I rode home in some rain last week and stored the bike in my garage so it never really had time for the housings to dry out since the temperature dropped that night and we got a few inches of snow. i threw some deicer into my bag. i love commuting year round. all the fun things you get to learn about your bike.

I was a helicopter crew chief in the marines for 5 years and learned a lot about how to get out of the field by "fixing" things in order to get home safely. I love how this carries over to commuting. Have a great new years guys.

mtbr member
    does the spring inside the caliper work? I have seen two BB5 calipers with springs snapped in two.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    does the spring inside the caliper work? I have seen two BB5 calipers with springs snapped in two.

Everything is working now. Thanks

Members who have read this thread: 0