Disc brake commuter frames?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Disc brake commuter frames?

Alright, I'm looking for a new frame to base a new commuter build around to replace and ancient Trek I have been riding.

Here is the criteria I think needs to be filled:

Available in frameset only
    700c wheels
    Disc brakes
    Clearance for a road compact crank
    Flat MTB bars (read long TT compared to ST here...)

My number one pick right now is a Salsa Vaya frameset followed by a Soma Double Cross Disc...OR I guess I could use a 26" rigid frame and fork and stuff the 700c wheels in there but that just seems wrong somehow. Any thoughts here?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Surly Troll/Ogre/Disc Trucker, Civia Bryant/Hyland, Vassago Fisticuff, Voodoo Nakisi
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountfargo.com

mtbr member
    Deja Vu all over again? This thread might be an interesting read for you. Your thoughts after that would help.

Enjoy.

BrianMc

Rides like wrecking ball
    Quote Originally Posted by Hesh to Steel
    With people liking mongoose and trek bikes now, what's next in this crazy world? People disliking the bottlerocket?!

A God Without A Name
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    Deja Vu all over again? This thread might be an interesting read for you. Your thoughts after that would help.

Enjoy.

BrianMc
    Its building up to be a Gem, but I sacrified 700c wheels. this bike still seems like its gonna be a heck of a Commuter!

Huckin' trails
    What about the Rocky Mountain Metropolis ? Looks great to me.

David
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

Bedwards Of The West
    Hijack: I have been eyeing those for a long time. How big of a tire will that frame clear?
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

Bedwards Of The West
    On topic:

I built an Access 29er from Performance Bike for my commuter... It meets all of your criteria. My compact double crankset (50/36) clears the chainstay, but wow...it's close. I've been riding it for a couple years with no issues.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Quote Originally Posted by Agwan View Post
    Its building up to be a Gem, but I sacrified 700c wheels. this bike still seems like its gonna be a heck of a Commuter!
    Just to be clear, you sacrificed 700Cs. The frame would support them fine.

A while ago, I was thinking it would be cool to do all my speed work on my XC bike with road wheels. I tried sticking my road bike's front wheel in the fork, which is the tightest clearance on my bike, to see if it would fit. There's a lot of clearance with a 23mm tire. It's a little funky looking, but IMO not nearly as bad as 26" wheels with 1" slicks. The outside diameters of 700C wheels with road slicks and 26" wheels with knobbies are more similar than 700C with road slicks vs. 29er knobbies, so I actually think that on a disc build, 700C road wheels in a 26" frame are less wrong than in a 29er frame. You can also tweak the head angle of a hardtail frame with a shorter axle-crown fork if you want to to get a little lower bottom bracket and snappier, more "road" handling. It would take a seat post with a lot of setback to make things fit right for a lot of us at that point.

Didn't end up following through on that project. I didn't want to spend a few hundred dollars on a set of wheels when I already have a perfectly good road bike.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    I think my next commute build will be a Surly Ogre.

A God Without A Name
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    Just to be clear, you sacrificed 700Cs. The frame would support them fine.

A while ago, I was thinking it would be cool to do all my speed work on my XC bike with road wheels. I tried sticking my road bike's front wheel in the fork, which is the tightest clearance on my bike, to see if it would fit. There's a lot of clearance with a 23mm tire. It's a little funky looking, but IMO not nearly as bad as 26" wheels with 1" slicks. The outside diameters of 700C wheels with road slicks and 26" wheels with knobbies are more similar than 700C with road slicks vs. 29er knobbies, so I actually think that on a disc build, 700C road wheels in a 26" frame are less wrong than in a 29er frame. You can also tweak the head angle of a hardtail frame with a shorter axle-crown fork if you want to to get a little lower bottom bracket and snappier, more "road" handling. It would take a seat post with a lot of setback to make things fit right for a lot of us at that point.

Didn't end up following through on that project. I didn't want to spend a few hundred dollars on a set of wheels when I already have a perfectly good road bike.
    I agree. Particularly with the Some Groove, Rigid Soma fork. just go look at the pics. there is a TON of vertical space in there!

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by David C View Post
    What about the Rocky Mountain Metropolis ? Looks great to me.

David
    See it at Jenson...

Commuter / Urban / Fitness at JensonUSA.com - Your Mountain & Road Bike online parts supplier!

Those might also be available as frame only if you look online a bit.

David

David
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

since 4/10/2009
    The On-One Pompetamine might be worth a look. It's got the crankset clearance, but the frame is designed around the Alfine IGH so you would only want to run a single ring, anyway. You can also run it SS (as I am).

Rides like wrecking ball
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    Hijack: I have been eyeing those for a long time. How big of a tire will that frame clear?
    I'm running 700x47c front and rear. Yes, Forty-Seven!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hesh to Steel
    With people liking mongoose and trek bikes now, what's next in this crazy world? People disliking the bottlerocket?!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Salsa Vaya & Salsa Fargo

salsacycles.com

The Jamis Aurora Elite / Bossanove has less tire clearance as does the Gunnar FastLane (38mm with fenders)

The Vaya is a good choice, the Fargo may be tractor-slow accelerating but it takes a big tire.

Bedwards Of The West
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog View Post
    I'm running 700x47c front and rear. Yes, Forty-Seven!
    Yeah, I pretty much need one of those.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

29'er commuter choice

My choice was a Schlick Cycles Smitty. I opted for belt drive and in Alfine 8 as I ride this every day and WI winters are brutal on chains. Studs in the winter (700x38) and Big Apples 2.35's in the summer. It's a very versatile frame set made in the US of A by Tom Teesdale.

jrm
    mtbr member

Swobo Crosby

SS, IGH or geared (by changing the dropout) disc or V brakes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Disc brake commuter frames?-sbb_08074_crosby_frameset_1258_zoom.jpg  

I dream on two wheels
    I love my Vaya. It was the first touring/commuter/road bike I tested and took it home that day. It just felt "right"
    Whiskey

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Raleigh Bicycles Furley
    Raleigh Furley looks like a whole lot of fun.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    You could retrofit a CC using a dimension disc fork. I did it and it worked out nicely.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    On topic:

I built an Access 29er from Performance Bike for my commuter... It meets all of your criteria. My compact double crankset (50/36) clears the chainstay, but wow...it's close. I've been riding it for a couple years with no issues.
    Same here, although I run a single ring. This thing never breaks. And now that I've gone tubeless, I don't get flats anymore either.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Disc brake commuter frames?-access.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by slower_than_u View Post
    Same here, although I run a single ring. This thing never breaks. And now that I've gone tubeless, I don't get flats anymore either.
    Can you post a pic of how you dealt with mounting the rear rack around the disc brake caliper?

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Coloradoxj13 View Post
    Can you post a pic of how you dealt with mounting the rear rack around the disc brake caliper?
    Just buy a disc-compatible rack, like the disc version of theTopeak Explorer. It comes all set to mount around the disc caliper.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Vaya....

No, wait.

Ti Vaya. There you go.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    i have a rocky mountain metropolis good for a commuter bike. i just upgraded the disc brake and put knobby tires for winter commute.
    Last edited by jako7; 11-16-2011 at 06:13 PM. Reason: none

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I have a civia bryant belt. I re-laced some velocity dyad rims and it is great, the only other thing I will change is the crank (wide q-factor). As the frame goes it is great, good amount of fork flex to smooth things out, good finish and adaptability and a good price.

enjoys skidding
    Traitor Ruben?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jasevr4 View Post
    Traitor Ruben?
    I absolutely love my Traitor.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Disc brake commuter frames?-2011-02-15-10.22.58.jpg  

enjoys skidding
    Yeah I'm thinking about building one up with an Alfine hub. Only thing is that I'll need a Trickstuff BB and Shimano cranks..

mtbr member
    Singular Gryphon.

SS, geared, IGH, flat bar, drop bar, fat tires, skinny tires, whatever you want.
    The Surly Ogre would be my second choice, and the Salsa Fargo if you don;t intend to go SS/IGH.

enjoys skidding
    Forgot about that one - the Singular Gryphon is a quality option. Also the Raleigh Roper/Furley too.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Hi. Is there any option exept Singular Peregrine, that is single speed capable, can fit fat tires ( 700x45c ) , disc brakes and have a nice fork with curved blade? Like Peregrine/Disc LHT/Jamis Aurora etc.. ???
    Last edited by nameresu; 02-20-2012 at 06:45 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Singular Peregrine does all that.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Larryscustomcycles, yes, peregrine, always type "gryphon" instead "peregrine" for some reason.
    But if not Singular, then what? The problem is... I live in Russia, I wrote a letter to Singular, still no response...If it possible, I'll buy Peregrine, but if I can't, then what ? %)

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Email Sam here: [email protected]cles.com

Or PM him on this forum...his name is Singular.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nameresu View Post
    Larryscustomcycles, yes, peregrine, always type "gryphon" instead "peregrine" for some reason.
    But if not Singular, then what? The problem is... I live in Russia, I wrote a letter to Singular, still no response...If it possible, I'll buy Peregrine, but if I can't, then what ? %)

Triton bikes
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    Rocky Mountain Ebay store seems to be selling RM commuter/hybrid frames on the cheap. Been considering a Whistler but to be honest I sort of prefer 26 tires because I really don't want to buy a new set of 700 wheels and tires. Would prefer to reuse my 26 wheelset and a number of 26 semi-slicks and slicks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by nameresu View Post
    Don't think I've seen any email from anyone in Russia. Please try again or PM me here - I will also check my spam.
    Yes - I do own Singular Cycles

mtbr member
    Since the OP is considering the Gryphon among his choices, here's my thread on my Gryphon in its present commuter guise.
    I've just started riding it, so don't have alot of saddle time on it, but first impression is quite good. This is a really nice frame - build quality as well as ride quality.

The only tradeoff is the (easy to overcome) lack of mudguard specific braze-ons and bosses. You can see from my pics how I've handled it. Easy peasy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by djork View Post
    Rocky Mountain Ebay store seems to be selling RM commuter/hybrid frames on the cheap. Been considering a Whistler but to be honest I sort of prefer 26 tires because I really don't want to buy a new set of 700 wheels and tires. Would prefer to reuse my 26 wheelset and a number of 26 semi-slicks and slicks.
    Yep, I just picked up a RM Whistler 30 frame for $26! didn't need it but for $26 what the hell. Been wanting to do some road/commuting so what the hell.

mtbr member
    K2 Enemy from my parts bin (frame was $10 at the swap). Had to buy the spokes, and fork. I was posting this bike in commuter photos- 2 years going and nary a touch.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by grandsalmon View Post
    K2 Enemy from my parts bin (frame was $10 at the swap). Had to buy the spokes, and fork. I was posting this bike in commuter photos- 2 years going and nary a touch.
    That's pretty sweet grandsalmon. My previous commuter was a K2 Enemy. I did not realize that there was a disc version of that bike? Mine had cantis. I gave my Enemy to my son and got a Soma DoubleCross DC which I love, but there are times when I miss my Enemy.

Thanks for the photo.