Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

diesel as cleaning solvent

11K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Rider-at-night 
#1 ·
I'm sure everybody knows this, but diesel fuel is a good cleaning solvent that's great for us cheap b@$t@*ds. A gallon for around 3 bucks? Try to beat that. And for those of you who have a motorcycle with an O-ring chain, it won't destroy the O-rings.

#2 ·
yeah

how about no

diesel leaves a residue. then you need to clean that residue with,
wait for it, another solvent.

kerosene is the better and safer cleaning solvent if you are going to be using
something by the gallon and cheap. it is about the same thing as diesel as a 'fuel oil' but kerosene is a known and common industrial cleaning agent... no one uses diesel if kerosene is available

all diesel can do is cut thick crap and leave thin crap behind.

#3 ·
^^ depends on what you're cleaning. I don't care if it leaves a residue on, say, my chain. Gonna lube it anyway. Same with derailleurs and such. Dish soap works well to get rid of the residue left behind on stuff you want purty. As stated, I'm a cheap b@$t@*d. I wouldn't be a life long bicycle commuter if I weren't

#6 ·
I use to clean my chain with that, but that was when I worked in the gas station, I was collecting the small amount that remains in the hose after the pump stops working, it wasn't cheap it was free!!! But that's nasty and leaves a mess, I wouldn't recommend it.
But now I just go to the market and buy a kitchen degreaser, a few squirts and the stuff wipes the grease and dirt easily, wash and rinse with water and then a little spray of wd40 to push the water out of the roller bearings. Clean, wipe, and leave it to dry. Then lubricate, wipe after a few minutes or a ride, and presto.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.