Did anyone try this blinkie?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Did anyone try this blinkie?

Does anyone here use this:
    Sette ST-316 Glo Safety Light

I can't really find any reviews/opinions. Looks very close to Smart 1/2 a.k.a Planet Bike Super Flash, but how close? Any owners? Your opinion please? The price is really attractive...

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    It does look very much like the Planetbike Superflash, which is what my girlfriend and I have. I love mine, and I've driven a quarter-mile behind my bike with the light on with no contours on the road, streetlights on a 6-lane highway, and no other distractions, it's pretty noticeable in the flash mode.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    This PP light really got me interested because PB SF costs around $20 and this one is $8.

mtbr member
    Someone mentioned getting a PBSF for under $20, about $17, but usually $20 is about as low as it gets.

Note that the PBSF has be refined over its short life and my latest ones seem perfect. You can also get extra mounts with free shipping.

I wonder about a clone's quality or support. The two biggest issues fixed by PB were not optics or electronics, but fiddly aspects of case production and tolerances. The things the clone has altered (to avoid copyright issues?). Also remember a portion of PB's income supports cycling. IMHO this light comes pretty close to plagiarism and it's made in China too. What give's with that? Doesn't seem right somehow. But it's your $.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    You're right, earlier PBSF's didn't last long in rain, and the mounts were far from stellar. The black/transparent ones are much better.

I still wonder about the quality of the Sette blinkies - do they have to be as bad as pre-2009 PBSF's? After all, I had a black/red PBSF for quite a while - some thick silicone grease and a couple of nylon ties did miracles.

I also have to say I did run across similar designs more than once.
    Spent 15 minutes googling "1/2 watt led" and look what I've got:

(This is not Sette, I found it here: https://www.parker-international.co....ear-Light.html)

It doesn't look like all these other manufacturers support cycling like Planet Bike, but it doesn't tell on the price, so the Sette blinky looks attractive enough to me. The problem is, I'm in Russia and shipping costs an arm and a leg. I was hoping someone here tried this product and knows how good/bad it is...

mtbr member
    Apparently the Smart and the PB ARE the same light. Who licensed from whom?

The bottom is the Princeton Tec Swerve. A bit more money than the PBSF. Different design and a more annoying (more attention getting) flash. Switch was a reliabilty issue on my first and current one is a warranty replacement that is also developing issues but these are from 18 months ago. That my be fixed now.. Two 1/2 watt flashers visible at a bit more angle, I think. You can feel the switch into any of the three positions a very nice feature if the light is not where you can see it when you change the switch position. It's hard to remember and easy to overshoot a clicky.

Logistics trump a lot of other factors. Sorry no experience with the Sette.

No-Brakes Cougar
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc
    Apparently the Smart and the PB ARE the same light. Who licensed from whom?
    Sometimes companies sell the same products in different countries under different names for various reasons.
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

Moderator Moderator
    I don't have that light, but I bought a $6 Sette white blinky for the front & have not been impressed...it still works, but just seems chintzy & not that bright, and the skimpy gasket fell out when I added batteries, and doesn't like to go back properly. If most of your cost is the shipping, you may want to get the Superflash or Swerve if/when possible, so at least you know your money will not be wasted.

mtbr member
    How does this Planet Bike Superflash Stealth compare to the Planet Bike Superflash?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by tracerprix
    How does this Planet Bike Superflash Stealth compare to the Planet Bike Superflash?
    I have the Stealth...

and my girlfriend has the Superflash in clear...

The Standard Superflash in red that you posted, by the keen eye is much brighter and closer in comparison to the clear WHEN the batteries start to die. With the batteries fresh or charged, I couldn't tell a noticeable difference a quarter mile away.

mtbr member
    Appologies to the OP if this isn't close enought to topic:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=240120

Thread discussing SuperFlash Stealth version of PB light and related lights. FYI.

Not the Sette specifically, though.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer
    I don't have that light, but I bought a $6 Sette white blinky for the front & have not been impressed...it still works, but just seems chintzy & not that bright
    That's exactly what one might say about other PlanetBike blinkies. Nothing in particular, dull and certainly not high end stuff. The SuperFlash really stands out from all other PlanetBike lights.

Also - I completely agree with BrianMc on the flashing pattern being a very important factor.
    PBSF is much much better than everything else I saw. Another rear light with a very catchy flashing pattern is CatEye LD-500, but it is not even close in terms of brightness.

BrianMc - thanks for the link at cpf!
    I'll pm ncaudio now (http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...8&postcount=15) and see what he says.

Bedwards Of The West
    I just wanted to say that I got my planet bike superflash for 5 bucks at an REI garage sale. So neener neener.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Here's what ncaudio has to say (he replied to my pm at candlepowerforums)

Thanks for asking, I thought about it some more and here is what I would say comparing the PBSF and the PB stealth to the Sette (you can quote me):

I have a couple PBSF Stealth units (which are really the same as the first PBSF units except for a different color and improved water seal). I have compared the Stealth units to the Sette ST-316 GLO L.E.D. Safety Lights, the overall brightness is very similar, both are fairly bright, but they have different flash patterns. The PBSF has 2 patterns: the first is 3 flashes on the bottom LEDS, then 2 fast flashes on the 1/2 watt led, the second is continuously on. The Sette has 3 patterns, first is 2 fast flashes on the bottom LEDs, then a flash on top 1/2 watt (fast repeat time on this pattern), second is all LEDs on medium fast flash, the third is continuously on. I would not say that angle of light pattern on the wall is appreciably different between the 2 units (both cover about the same area).

I don't think that the water seal design is as good on the Sette as the PB units since it is a thin round piece of rubber and it can come out of alignment, I've been wanting to glue the seal in place onto one half of the housing so when I change batteries it doesn't move. On the PB units it is flat gasket held in place by through pieces of plastic. Otherwise I prefer the Sette light for flash pattern and clear plastic back section (faces forward on the bike when the light is in position facing behind the bike), this lights up the whole housing so light shows to the front through the housing. I bought some for $10 each and I have seen Pricepoint have them on sale for $7 each. PB units are usually a lot more expensive.

One last comment, the Sette mounting system is more adjustable in that it can cinch down to a small diameter tube like a chainstay and can be adjusted to a wider range of an angles due to an innovative pivoting mount.

pain Only Hurts for a min
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by LUNARFX
    I have the Stealth...

and my girlfriend has the Superflash in clear...
    which do you like better the PT stealth or the Superflash?
    I'm in the process of buying a blinky and those are the two I'm picking from.
    Just a Kid chasing his Dreams

Members who have read this thread: 0