Depressed- Mtbr.com

Thread: Depressed

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Depressed

So I finished school on saturday and was so excited to finally be able to bike to work everyday and guess what happened that night.. I broke my dam foot walking down the stairs. One of my kids left a toy out. I just needed to vent because I guess this week is bike to work week and I see all these smiling happy people riding bikes and Im stuck in my car watching tail lights.

I guess im looking at a month or so of pain and I guess I can take this opperutnity to fix up my bikes so that when I get healthy i have nothing to worry about, but it sucks. I also just built up a new mountain bike over the winter which i havent had a chance to break in yet.

Oh well thanks for letting me vent. Hope this makes sense i am high on pain pills right now.

banned
    Sep 2010
    Makes sense, all right. what you need right now is a good long book to read to pass the time.
    It helps. So do Three Stooges movies.

sofa king awsm
    Sep 2008
    Ah, that's a shame but the reality is you should be happy you have kids and are otherwise healthy. There are a lot of people in the world a whole lot worse off than you.
    Baby, I want my face to be your quiver killer.

mtbr member
    Have the doc mount a clip in the bottom of your cast and get on your bike adn ride.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Wishing you a quick recovery

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    There's folks riding with one leg, I rode with a broken arm, I'm sure you can find a way!
    Maybe not to work and back but get out there and pootle around!

We ride in inclement weather, we rubs elbows with tractor trailers, we play chicken with e-bikes and taxis... we can ride (short distances!) with a broken foot.

I may not know you, but if you do all the above as most commuters do eventually, then I have faith that YOU CAN DO IT.
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    i just now am able to put weight on it. so maybe a few days i can try to ride. thanks

Pedal Damn It!
    I broke my foot just over a year ago and tried to ride but I kept breaking out the bottom of the cast and it had to be replaced every other week for 2 months. Good thing about it was that I had lots of opportunities to keep my leg clean.

Take it easy and don't try to walk on it too much right away. I did and now my foot won't heal so it still bothers me.

Fat-tired Roadie
    When can you ride the road?

I didn't realize this, but riding with broken collar bones, cracked pelvises, all sorts of scary-sounding stuff is sometimes permissible. Talk to your doctor about it. Try a sports doc if your orthopedist wasn't a jock or wannabe-jock before med. school.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    I wonder how much they'd charge to put SPD clips on your cast?
    Hope you heal up fast!
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

bee
    peace, love, happiness
    Apr 2008
    Hey BigE, take it easy buddy. Lat thing you need is another injury. School is a tough time sometimes too so don't let others get you down. You gotta keep your head up. Rest up, and go it slowly when you get back. You will build back your strength and confidence again.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Well thanks for all the well wishes. I am finally back at it. I started riding last month and put in about 120 miles and this week im finally back to commuting to work full time. Cant wipe the smile off my face. it was a long and frustrating recovery. I guess the bone that i broke doesnt get much blood flow so it takes a long time to heal. It feels great now and im not looking back.

No Stranger to danger....
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster Bluth View Post
    Ah, that's a shame but the reality is you should be happy you have kids and are otherwise healthy. There are a lot of people in the world a whole lot worse off than you.
    ^^ this, i was ready when i saw the 'depressed' title to come in give a dude some lovin, LOL
    A broken foot and depression dont go in the same sentence, you'll be as right as rain in a month n out ridin.
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....:cool:

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigE610 View Post
    Well thanks for all the well wishes. I am finally back at it. I started riding last month and put in about 120 miles and this week im finally back to commuting to work full time. Cant wipe the smile off my face. it was a long and frustrating recovery. I guess the bone that i broke doesnt get much blood flow so it takes a long time to heal. It feels great now and im not looking back.
    Alright, now that you're back in form, ride like Hell hounds (read as; "little yippy rat dogs wearing knitted sweaters") are on your trail.
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Nicely done BigE!

weirdo
    Wow, that was a long "month or so"- I bet you`re REALLY happy to be back!
    Well, glad to hear it, and enjoy.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I know your pain.

I just bought myself my first ever proper mountain bike, cost me alot for a student. 2 rides into using it, i was being silly, feel off my bike, fractured my scaphoid. Been in a cast for 6 weeks now, depressing

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by BigE610 View Post
    So I finished school on saturday and was so excited to finally be able to bike to work everyday and guess what happened that night.. I broke my dam foot walking down the stairs. One of my kids left a toy out. I just needed to vent because I guess this week is bike to work week and I see all these smiling happy people riding bikes and Im stuck in my car watching tail lights.

I guess im looking at a month or so of pain and I guess I can take this opperutnity to fix up my bikes so that when I get healthy i have nothing to worry about, but it sucks. I also just built up a new mountain bike over the winter which i havent had a chance to break in yet.

Oh well thanks for letting me vent. Hope this makes sense i am high on pain pills right now.
    I know your feeling... beginning of this summer I tore a hip flexor. Took about three months to get back to riding :\

Members who have read this thread: 0