mtbr member

Denver / Wash Park Commuters here?

Anyone here ride through Wash Park area, specifically down Marion Pkwy by Steele Elementary School, on their way to/from work?

I have consistently had issues with this area on my commutes into work in the mornings. Parents drop their kids off in front of the school and then pull right out in front of me, causing 2 wrecks, and almost being run into passing cars on numerous occasions.

For those who don't know this area, there is a "drop off" area, with a bike specific lane separating drop area and road. Parents rarely pay attention to the fact they are crossing a bike lane when exiting the drop area.

Any one else experience this issue?

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Commute

Quote Originally Posted by jbadger1977 View Post
    Anyone here ride through Wash Park area, specifically down Marion Pkwy by Steele Elementary School, on their way to/from work?

I have consistently had issues with this area on my commutes into work in the mornings. Parents drop their kids off in front of the school and then pull right out in front of me, causing 2 wrecks, and almost being run into passing cars on numerous occasions.

For those who don't know this area, there is a "drop off" area, with a bike specific lane separating drop area and road. Parents rarely pay attention to the fact they are crossing a bike lane when exiting the drop area.

Any one else experience this issue?

Yes, when I am time crunched I commute by Steele Elementary. There is a lot of traffic and you can tell people are in a hurry and certainly not looking for cyclists. I try to avoid the area at all costs. I stick to the Cherry Creek path as much as possible. Careful out there! Good Luck!

mtbr member
    It's not just that school. I've learned to entirely avoid any elementary school during pick up or drop off times. Parents driving kids to school simply cannot be beat when it comes to selfish and dangerous road habits.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I used to ride that area on the way in but have changed my route and follow Ogden to the Cherry Creek trail now. If you want terrifying ride past South High School in the morning. The parents are worse than the student drivers. I was telling my buddy the other day that all school zones are the worst part of the commute.
    If you're gonna be dumb you gotta be tough