Dedicated commute wheels...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

... and if we just ... Dedicated commute wheels...

Hey all--
    Saved up my ducets and purchased a great set of trail wheels (Ringle wheelset on sale at CRC). My stock Specialized wheels are going to be my dedicated commuter wheelset.

I was thinking of making it as quick/easy as possible to switch between sets by setting each up with tires, rotors and cassette. Is there any significate issue with chain/cassette wear if I go with this set up?

Anyone have experience with this setup? How do/did you like it?

Thanks in advance.
    Tom

mtbr member
    Just make sure the chain or neither of the cassettes need to be replaced and you'll be fine. If the chain is stretched too much, it will quickly ruin a cassette. Otherwise, I've noticed swapping between wheels before needing a small derailleur adjustment or brake caliper adjustment.

Bedwards Of The West
    Disc brakes? I've had little rotor-rub issues... usually can get rid of it with just a knob adjustment on the BB7's. Make sure the rotors are the same thickness... Avid rotors are slightly thicker than Hayes in my experience... going from Avids to Hayes was easy... the other way required adjustment.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

CB of the East
    I do that in the winter. I bought a cheap set of used wheels (rim brakes) for my studded tires. Like Straz said, start with a fresh chain and cassettes and you should be fine. If one cassette is new and the chain and other cassette are worn you could get skipping.

How do I like it? It's great! Swap the wheels in a few minutes if there is a chance of ice.

weirdo
    I swap frequently and agree with Bedwards- it`s great! I usually watch my chains pretty carefully anyway and don`t do anything else special as far as keeping the wear matched goes. Might just be lucky, but I`ve never had to adjust the derailler between swaps (use only 7- and 8-s though, which is pretty forgiving) and never had disc brakes. If you`re only talking about one bike, I`ve heard of people shimming one cassette in order to keep the shifting the same on multiple wheels- makes sense if you don`t happen to get so lucky.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    I swap frequently and agree with Bedwards- it`s great! I usually watch my chains pretty carefully anyway and don`t do anything else special as far as keeping the wear matched goes. Might just be lucky, but I`ve never had to adjust the derailler between swaps (use only 7- and 8-s though, which is pretty forgiving) and never had disc brakes. If you`re only talking about one bike, I`ve heard of people shimming one cassette in order to keep the shifting the same on multiple wheels- makes sense if you don`t happen to get so lucky.
    Most lower end cup and cone wheels can be adjusted to match the alignment...just have to move both sides to do it...

Most higher end wheels are already set..

I have not had any problems...that a good wheel install havn't cured....ie make sure the axle is well set into the drop outs before clamping the QR....lay your gut on the tire as you do up the QR.

mtbr member

... and if we just ... Thanks everyone...

I appreciate the thoughtful and timely feedback.

Looking forward to getting them set up and rolling.

Members who have read this thread: 0