Dealing With the Cold - Need Advice on Keeping Hands Warm- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2016

Dealing With the Cold - Need Advice on Keeping Hands Warm

I'm trying to figure out how to manage my 90 minute commute with temperatures in the 20s F. Today, as a test, I put on my winter gear and rode. It's 24 with 17MPH winds, and riding into it was just too cold for my lobster gloves to handle. Anyone with ideas on how to keep the hands warm? Believe it or not, I've got all the other problems solved. Chemical warmers work great with my insulated boots and the rest is never a problem.

Would love some advice from people who have ridden. The only solution I can think of is electric gloves/mittens, because I need heat in the thumb as well as the fingers, but I figured I'd ask for advice rather than throwing my money away.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Mittens will always keep your hands warmer than gloves.
    Even the best non-electric gloves will only keep your hands warm for a short time
    If you go with gloves, electric or gloves with pockets for chem heaters is what you'll need.

I live in one of the top five coldest cities in the US and know your pain.

mtbr member
    Bar mitts or something similar is what you need. They are also called pogies; although I have no idea why... they attach to the handlebars and completely cover the controls and grips, with more than enough room to wear a thin pair of gloves underneath. Everyone Iíve ever talked to that has used them have told me that they can ride down into the 20ís with bare hands underneath them...
    Salsa Timberjack SS
    -Gears give me headaches

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    First, make sure you're keeping your head warm. You'll lose so much heat that way and your body will pull from the extremities first to send blood there. A balaclava/ski mask is appropriate at those temps into that headwind. After that, pogies or learn to ride no-handed.
    :nono: :thumbsup:

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sage of the Sage View Post
    Bar mitts or something similar is what you need. They are also called pogies; although I have no idea why... they attach to the handlebars and completely cover the controls and grips, with more than enough room to wear a thin pair of gloves underneath. Everyone Iíve ever talked to that has used them have told me that they can ride down into the 20ís with bare hands underneath them...
    Bar mitts are definitely the way to go. I typically wear light, summer gloves underneath my cheap scooter mitts. I use these commuting or mtb-ing

CB of the East
    +4 on the bar mitts. There are tons of options for flat bars and a few for drops. I've only used the flat bar type but they work extremely well. They are good for keeping your gloves dry in the rain too.

If I am just wearing gloves these are the warmest I have found without going with extremely expensive ones. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    I buy them large enough so I can put a liner in them.

Like the first poster said, mittens are much warmer but I hate riding with mittens.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    I had never seen pogies. I'm very much going to get some. That will make the last piece of my commute come together. Reading reviews, it appears there's even room to toss a hand-warmer in the bottom of them when I ride. Here's to the experiment. Thanks to all for the suggestion. Added to my Amazon wish list so I won't forget.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I forgot to mention I use reusable hand warmers too. Small ones that can fit inside my mittens, large ones that go in my front pockets.
    I put them in very hot water for ten minutes before I go out, then slip them in mitts and pockets. They stay warm for about 1 hour.
    Once they cool down, I click the activator and get another two hours of warmth. At the three hour mark, I go inside and thaw out

$1.74 each at WallyWorld
    Dealing With the Cold - Need Advice on Keeping Hands Warm-resuable-hand-warmer.jpg