Day one.- Mtbr.com

Thread: Day one.

Perpetually Intermediate

Day one.

Okay, finally did it. First day of (hopefully thousands) commuting to work on the bike. 10 miles round trip, piece of cake compared to so many others on here. Should save some $, minimize wear and tear on the old Volvo, keep myself in better shape, allow myself to ease into the day at work by breathing some nice morning air (I'm not in a big city), and inspire my 5th grade students to maybe put away the video games and ride their own bikes. We'll see.

Thanks to everyone here for leading the way.

mtbr member
    Congrats man.Don't punish yourself riding,easy gear and look around.you will be amazed what you don't see driving.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I am about 7 rides in. 15 miles one way. I work 10 hour shifts as a kitchen manager. After crushing a 15 mile ride before the sun comes up, I feel there is no challenge the day can give my that I can't dominate. I'm sure this philosophy can apply to 5th grade teaching. My best tip for success is to pack the bike up the night before so you can wake up and head out.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Good job!! Not only helping yourself but encouraging the kids as well.

Gene

Bedwards Of The West
    Yes! You'll find that it will do wonders for your sanity as well... high school teacher here, been riding for 6 years or so. Bad day? The ride home is like a reset button. You'll never kick the dog again.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

weirdo
    Way to go, Chuck! Yeah, that ride home is a great way to calm down after a nasty shift. By the same token, the ride in is a great motivation to get out the door sometimes.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by chuck80442
    Okay, finally did it. First day of (hopefully thousands) commuting to work on the bike. 10 miles round trip, piece of cake compared to so many others on here. Should save some $, minimize wear and tear on the old Volvo, keep myself in better shape, allow myself to ease into the day at work by breathing some nice morning air (I'm not in a big city), and inspire my 5th grade students to maybe put away the video games and ride their own bikes. We'll see.

Thanks to everyone here for leading the way.

Time to start analyzing all the hazards you may face on your route (you really need routes), and ways to mitigate those hazards...

That is the only way you will make it into the thousands.

42 weeks times 5 = 210 days per year..... 5 years to make a thousand days...

Ariolimax columbianus
    keep it up.......hopefully it gets easier. i teach high school too, here in california, i ride to work a lot....sometimes one way, sometimes both ways.....i try to lessen my impact on a day to day basis. fox racing shox is around the corner (a lot of the students family members work there). santa cruz bikes/swobo, custom builders, world class mtb trails, 15 miles away. world class road riding, right out the door.

percentage of high school students who ride to my school is under 10. percentage of students who ride to school @ santa cruz high, over 50. unfortunately in some communities/cultures riding bikes as an adult or high school teen is a designation of class status, so it's really tough to ride the message the masses.

we have an rop bike shop @ our high school, taught by a pro mechanic, all park tools, 11 work stations....even an after school program, where kids can build bikes for almost nothing. after one year, it's been a bit of a struggle. but, we can only lead by example and hopefully someway more folks can get on board. baby steps....just like your 1st ride to work. we need more advocacy and folks who really want to change how things operate on local, national, and global scales and understanding that riding bikes is fun and good for us and the environment. get some of your colleagues to ride, organize an event in your town where adults and kids ride together....keep me posted, thanks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Another teacher here... Looking forward to going back to school, mostly for the ride to and from. Love the questions the kids ask about the bike, helmet or whatever other gear they see. Rode to school one morning last year and was shocked at how enjoyable and easy it was. Also, it was only 5 minutes longer than driving. Love adding those miles to my week.

Members who have read this thread: 0