Dateline VT: Despite Winter, Cyclists Still Commute

Bedwards Of The West
    Cool!
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    "Dave Kelley of Plainfield has missed fewer than 10 days in the past year on his 15-mile commute to work in Berlin and has ridden in temperatures as low as negative 40 degrees."

That's a lot of missed days for anyone, let alone a bike commuter...though they don't make it explicitly clear whether that is sick days or didn't-get-there days (gotta love 'reporting')

I am always silently amazed that people think it's magical that I commute year round, as if riding a bike was somehow colder or more of a slog than standing at an open-air train station for an hour (call it 30 minutes, to be fair )

mtbr member
    May 2006
    So which one is you?

Moderator Moderator
    ^^Neither, but I've met Dave.

I know what you mean; around here it's usually the skirs/snowboarders that are willing to sit on a metal chairlift in the howling wind who think it is nuts to bike to work. Or the parents that sit immobile in cold hockey rinks watching the kids play. I have pointed this out to them but of course those are "winter acivities" so they get a pass.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    I know what you mean; around here it's usually the skirs/snowboarders that are willing to sit on a metal chairlift in the howling wind who think it is nuts to bike to work. Or the parents that sit immobile in cold hockey rinks watching the kids play. I have pointed this out to them but of course those are "winter acivities" so they get a pass.
    Haha! Strangely enough, I think you`re right- it depends on the "season label".

Nice article. The more articles like that, and the more often people are seen pedalling outside the expected situations, the more people will consider doing it themselves. Or at least keep their guard up and be on the lookout while driving on those not-so-bikey days. I liked this, too:

>Act 114 protects “vulnerable users,” defined by the law as people operating nonmotorized means of transportation, and requires that motorists “exercise due care, which includes increasing clearance, to pass the vulnerable user safely.<
    Recalculating....

Members who have read this thread: 0