Dateline Boulder CO: Cyclists Chased by Coyotes- Mtbr.com
    Moderator Moderator

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Hunting license and a pistol should take care of that.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by joshh View Post
    Hunting license and a pistol should take care of that.
    not a good idea for a suburban area.

Born With A Tail
    Another solid reason not to ride recumbent. I ride that same path twice daily and see coyote quite often. I think he also made a run at me, but I was going pretty fast and it never had a chance to catch me. Now that the path is snowy/icy in spots and I'm on a slower bike for winter, I try to be more watchful. However it is dark when I ride in and I'm not concerned enough to change my route. I'm not afraid of being taken down, but it would suck if he bit me and broke the skin, not knowing if rabies or distemper were present.
    I'm not sure if the firearm comment was facetious or not, but it is in city limits and I don't own a gun. I also think it would take a lot of skill to draw and shoot from a moving bike and hit a moving target. I remember hearing that there are more coyotes now than there were when whitey came out here and started trying to exterminate him.
    Remember, Coyote is a trickster, he can just as quickly turn into a snake or falcon or Open Space Ranger.
    Tequila tonight, tomorrow we ride!

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Train View Post
    I remember hearing that there are more coyotes now than there were when whitey came out here and started trying to exterminate him.
    Remember, Coyote is a trickster, he can just as quickly turn into a snake or falcon or Open Space Ranger.
    It is a wolf thing. Wolves kill and persecute coyotes a lot better than we do so when wolves were widespread, coyote numbers were more limited. Coyotes have also expanded their range across much of the east where they did not historically inhabit after wolves were exterminated.

Carry pepper spray. It would be pretty effective and serve as a bit of aversive conditioning so those coyotes just might keep their distance next time.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    No I wasn't being facetious about the handgun, I meant it. But I also didn't know that path was within city limits. May want to check the laws before firing any shots then. Also, I wasn't advocating shooting wild west style while doing 25mph down the trail. If you are walking a dog or lazily pedaling down the trail and must come to a stop because the coyote is that close then you have a shot.

But it may just be as good to go with NateHawks idea and get some pepper spray. Just make sure you got water in your bottle to flush your eyes out of you have to use it. Pepper spray burns even when you aren't the direct recipient.

mtbr member
    My city's put this together:

http://www.edmonton.ca/for_residents...teConflict.pdf

I see coyotes every now and again, but the pamphlet always makes me laugh.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Aren't coyotes typically afraid of humans? The fact that they're tangling with humans is disturbing. It sounds like they might ahve a den near the trail or people are feeding them. Or they could be rabid

Dogs should not mix with coyotes. Leash doesn't mean anything to coyotes. It's not the right time for pupping; that's not until spring, but they would become more aggressive then if they have pups to protect.

since 4/10/2009
    The article says people have been feeding them. They are habituated. Aversive conditioning with pepper spray would help more than just you

weirdo
    I see coyotes probably a weekly basis and always thought the reports of them being agressive towards humans were paranoia, but read them frequently enough now that I have to think maybe there`s something to them. Or not? Any way, I love seeing and hearing them, sure I`d have a different take on that if they ever attacked me or if I had pets/small livestock to worry about.
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Train View Post
    Maybe even turn into a beer can throwing redneck in a hopped up F-250 with mudders!
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    This is Boulder. People are considered the invasive species. or maybe just the "whiteys"

Moderator Moderator
    I have only seen coyotes a handful of times in VT & ME, but hear them more often. Only once was on a trail ride, with my friend's Belgian shepherd, and the coyote seemed more surprised than I was. As "Spirit" chased an unseen one (or perhaps its prey) away from the trail, another came over the rise toward the trail, looked right at me and did a 180 and ran off. Spirit returned shortly no worse for the wear and without the coyote (or rabbit).

They are one of the few animals that can be hunted year round here, and last year I was kinda shocked to see 5 or 6 lined up in a pickup truck bed, Sadly, yesterday someone mistook a German shepherd for a coyote and shot it on its own property. I guess the orange has to stay on beyond deer season. He did call police and is facing animal cruelty charges.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    People feeding coyotes? That's scary. These aren't pets, they are wild animals. You remove their fear, and you expand their prey to include small pets and children. Unbelievable.

mtbr member
    Those animals needs to be put down. That is not a typical behavior for a coyote.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    It is a wolf thing. Wolves kill and persecute coyotes a lot better than we do so when wolves were widespread, coyote numbers were more limited. Coyotes have also expanded their range across much of the east where they did not historically inhabit after wolves were exterminated.

Carry pepper spray. It would be pretty effective and serve as a bit of aversive conditioning so those coyotes just might keep their distance next time.
    Won't work in the wind.

mtbr member
    I've seen them just outside the DTC on the Cherry Creek Trail commuting home late at dusk/dark. Amazing survivors and quite adaptable creatures.

lgh
    mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    We have coyotes here in rural WI. They never bother people and tend to avoid them. I have a seen a few on our property but at a distance. I don't think anyone around here has any concern for them. They can get hunted year round since they do bother livestock and domestic animals. Feeding them?! There is no reason whatsoever to feed coyotes. They are omnivores and fend for themselves. Are those people from California or something?

Larry

Members who have read this thread: 0