The dark spot in the middle is where I live- Mtbr.com
    directionless white male
    Mar 2008

The dark spot in the middle is where I live

Strava Global Heatmap

I thought this was fascinating to see how many people were riding in your area. Seems like a decent tool for looking into new routes. I also ride trails and I've been checking out a few new spots with it as well.
    Disclaimer: I ride really slow.

mtbr member
    Intersting, I commute through the least ridden area of Metrowest (west of boston until you get to the Worcester area). Not really surprised.

since 4/10/2009
    My commute is also through a fairly dark portion of my city, though if you zoom in, you'll see my route light up. There are a couple dozen people who have logged times on the strava segments on that route, so I know others ride it. Just north of me, though, the roads are VERY dark. I know the area is ridden, though. Last summer I logged a handful of rides on an east-west route through that area that the local bike map rates as a good corridor, and it was.

What I really want is to get my hands on the professional version of this data for my city and find a way to use it along with what we already use to rate bike friendliness. Use it to create our own algorithm of sorts that is a modification of the one we have already used, possibly. Or even use it to provide a different set of data to highlight good routes that are infrequently used. Of course, the greenways light up most brightly, and I can identify the routes of some of the regular organized road group rides. Also I see that a lot of roads out in the country light up brightly. A lot of roadies head outside the city to get their training rides, which makes sense.

I'd rather be on my bike
    My route varies, but it looks like part of it is pretty well traveled. Thanks for posting this, very cool thing to look at. Never used Strava, and I still don't plan on it.
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    My route varies, but it looks like part of it is pretty well traveled. Thanks for posting this, very cool thing to look at. Never used Strava, and I still don't plan on it.
    Agreed. I think in some ways, riding has become a little too "connected". I like to just go out and enjoy myself. I don't worry about wattage, average speed, etc. I do track each ride's distance, time and location, but just based on my bike computer, I keep track on a spreadsheet in Google Drive because it's cool to see how many commutes I did and how many miles I did. I don't want to worry about beating people's times.

since 4/10/2009
    Two reasons I use Strava have nothing to do with the segments.

1. I can set a "privacy zone" around my house. Meaning I can log my miles and leave the ride public, but the exact location of my home is hidden. I have a couple of friends I heckle on Strava, and likewise they heckle me. It's fun to be able to do that, but still keep some privacy. Garmin Connect's system requires that I make the whole ride private if I start/end at my house and want to keep it private. Sometimes I want to write about my rides on my website, so being able to leave them public enough to share, but hide the location of my house is important.

2. Strava has its own system for tracking the miles put on different bikes. I don't have to worry about setting up or changing bike profiles on my GPS because I can just click a dropdown when I upload to Strava. This helps me track my mtb vs. commute miles.

Because so many riders use it, the data in the heatmap can actually be useful for planning and advocacy purposes. This is a good thing.

Did I catch a niner+?
    My route is a hot hot map and I commute out of the city into the suburbs. I live in about the middle of Minneapolis and bikes are everywhere especially at the U. Predator would go blind if he saw that heat map.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Kinda funny...I can see the Ironman loop that heads west of Madison. Really interesting, though I can see it is biased toward exercise riding instead of commuting. Thanks for posting this up, clarence!

Sent from a one-finger keyboard...pardon my autocorrect

Mantis, Paramount, Campy
    Quote Originally Posted by fotooutdoors View Post
    Kinda funny...I can see the Ironman loop that heads west of Madison. Really interesting, though I can see it is biased toward exercise riding instead of commuting. Thanks for posting this up, clarence!

Sent from a one-finger keyboard...pardon my autocorrect
    That loop is part of my commute.

CB of the East
    Thanks for posting this. I haven't stumbled on it yet. I have a lot of fun with Strava. I find it to be a great motivator some days and others it is just a convenient way to map and keep track of rides. I use to jot stuff down on spreadsheets but I've all but stopped that now.
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    What I really want is to get my hands on the professional version of this data for my city and find a way to use it along with what we already use to rate bike friendliness. Use it to create our own algorithm of sorts that is a modification of the one we have already used, possibly. Or even use it to provide a different set of data to highlight good routes that are infrequently used. Of course, the greenways light up most brightly, and I can identify the routes of some of the regular organized road group rides. Also I see that a lot of roads out in the country light up brightly. A lot of roadies head outside the city to get their training rides, which makes sense.
    They seem to have that available. Strava

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    My commute is also through a fairly dark portion of my city, though if you zoom in, you'll see my route light up. There are a couple dozen people who have logged times on the strava segments on that route, so I know others ride it. Just north of me, though, the roads are VERY dark. I know the area is ridden, though. Last summer I logged a handful of rides on an east-west route through that area that the local bike map rates as a good corridor, and it was.

Wouldn't that just tailor bike maps/routes for people that "use Strava", if you know what I mean. Just because I don't want to use/smart phone or GPS doesn't mean I don't ride my bike most places. And further I'd think the people who can't afford to collect data could use the bike routes/lanes/paths more.

since 4/10/2009
    It's another data point. Excepting greenways, is the city investing in bike infrastructure where people use it? True it is hardly a random cross section of the population. But you could also make the case that if you build it they will come, so comparing use with facilities would be interesting. Are gaps in use similar to gaps in facilities?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Keep in mind this map is just Strava data and not representative of all or even most bicycle traffic.

big papa nuts kind of already said that i guess...

since 4/10/2009
    Did I not address that?

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Did I not address that?

Maybe he was talking to one of the other 260 people that have viewed this thread.