• 10-08-2014
    bikeCOLORADO
    1 Attachment(s)
    The Dark Side calls...I answer.
    My DNA is rocks and dirt. I'm a spoiled rotten Colorado trail urchin. Moved to SW MO 4 years ago. Very little trails here. Started commuting by bicycle 2 years ago. I've now logged nearly 6k miles commuting and schlepping that commuter bike on long road rides (MS150 and my first Century last Sunday). I still ride trails when I can, but the nearest good trail system is a 45 minute drive one way. By necessity dare I say I'm a roadie?

Then I stumbled upon a Craigslist steal/find I couldn't turn down.

2014 Giant Defy 5 with two rides on it. Pretty much showroom condition. I can now claim three bikes in my stable. And so the addiction grows...

Attachment 929765
  • 10-08-2014
    TenSpeed
    Life changes, and so does your biking. Used to ride trails only, including some a long time ago in Colorado Springs when I was stationed there but NEVER on the road. Got divorced, sold my bike friendly car and made all kinds of changes including getting a car that is not bike friendly. Nearest legit bike trail is about 25 minutes or so and it is nothing to write home about. Everything else is an hour + by car and that doesn't include load time, etc. So I picked up a bike that was more road friendly, or two. I also scored a fat bike if the trail need calls.

Congrats on the Giant it looks very nice. Ride the hell out of it!
  • 10-08-2014
    Straz85
    Similar situation here. Started mountain biking 6ish years ago. After a couple years, got sick of driving to trails, so I got a road bike and started to like the advantage of not having to pack up the car to ride. Then I moved and was able to ride to work. The more I ride to work, the less recreational riding I do. This year I've mountain bikes 35 miles, only 10% of what I did last year. Sure, it's not as much fun per mile, but it's easier and it's a great replacement for sitting in traffic in a car.
  • 10-08-2014
    bikeCOLORADO
    1 Attachment(s)
    Just another pic...

Attachment 929795
  • 10-08-2014
    TenSpeed
    I am liking the black and white on the bike. White bar tape though....that might not be the easiest to keep clean though.
  • 10-09-2014
    bedwards1000
    Cool, now you are going to need a bigger server room ;). Having multiple bikes is awesome. I have 8. My carbon cross bike has 2K miles on it. My foul weather mountain bike commuter has 187. The others are in-between. The mountain bikes don't have as many miles as I'd like to have on them but sae la vie. I love all my kids.
  • 10-09-2014
    TenSpeed
    Running out of room in my apartment with just 3. Really missing the garage and workspace I had when I was married. N+1 is always the correct number to have right?
  • 10-09-2014
    bedwards1000
    Just like the TV show, "8 is enough". I'm not saying I'm not getting another bike but I'll start trading them out.
  • 10-09-2014
    bikeCOLORADO
    White bar tape will be the first thing to go, looking for carbon seatpost and bars...
  • 10-09-2014
    bikeCOLORADO
    Oh beautifulness...check this one out that just popped up on Craigslist.
    Custom Giant Defy - *MUST SEE*
  • 10-09-2014
    TenSpeed
    ^ that is a great paint scheme.
  • 10-09-2014
    WiTrailRunner
    I am partial to blue and orange bikes. :) That one is pretty too!
  • 10-09-2014
    jrm
    1 Attachment(s)
    I used my tax return to buy a defy 1 4 years ago. Its such a great bike.
  • 10-09-2014
    TenSpeed
    This is what the blue and orange Defy is modeled after, and they did a great job with it.