Cycling Superhighway- Mtbr.com
    tl1
    Bicyclist

Cycling Superhighway

I thought this was a great article about a great idea. I wish I had such a superhighway to commute on instead of sharing the road with a bunch of harried, rushing, texting, phoning, homicidal rush hour car and truck drivers many of whom resent the mere presence of bicycle riders on "their" roads.

Picture 11 miles of smoothly paved bike path meandering through the countryside. Largely uninterrupted by roads or intersections, it passes fields, backyards, chirping birds, a lake, some ducks and, at every mile, an air pump.

For some Danes, this is the morning commute.
    Susan Nielsen, a 59-year-old schoolteacher, was one of a handful of people taking advantage of Denmark’s first “superhighway” for bicycles on a recent morning, about halfway between Copenhagen and Albertslund, a suburb, which is the highway’s endpoint. “I’m very glad because of the better pavement,” said Ms. Nielsen, who wore a rain jacket and carried a pair of pants in a backpack to put on after her 40-minute commute.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/18/wo...y.html?_r=1&hp

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Yeah sounds like our MUP system....if you loose the air pump every mile...

I carry one anyway.

since 4/10/2009
    although it appears you still have to concern yourself with people distracted by their cell phones.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    although it appears you still have to concern yourself with people distracted by their cell phones.
    I was going to say. I noticed that the girl in the blue scarf is still texting and riding . Cyclists just can't get away from them cell phones.

Clyde on a mission!
    Dec 2011
    Here in Denmark we are a bit spoiled for bike lanes, we have a lot of them. With that in mind I really can't see what's all the fuss about the new "superhighway" is about, it's basically just an orange line painted on existing bike lanes detouring slightly through more scenic areas. It's really way too hyped up for what it is, a collection of bike lanes given some media attention.

tl1
    Bicyclist

Is that...

Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    Yeah sounds like our MUP system....if you loose the air pump every mile...

I carry one anyway.
    Is that a bike lane system for Muppets?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by tl1 View Post
    Is that a bike lane system for Muppets?
    good one

tl1
    Bicyclist

Texting while driving

Quote Originally Posted by CornCob View Post
    I was going to say. I noticed that the girl in the blue scarf is still texting and riding . Cyclists just can't get away from them cell phones.

Ya gotta admit it's a lot less dangerous to text on a road not exposed to car traffic while on a bicycle than in a car, while driving a train or a large boat etc.

tl1
    Bicyclist

Maybe

Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    good one
    I just never heard of a MUP system before, Care to elaborate?

tl1
    Bicyclist

That's one way to look at it

Quote Originally Posted by Sandrenseren View Post
    Here in Denmark we are a bit spoiled for bike lanes, we have a lot of them. With that in mind I really can't see what's all the fuss about the new "superhighway" is about, it's basically just an orange line painted on existing bike lanes detouring slightly through more scenic areas. It's really way too hyped up for what it is, a collection of bike lanes given some media attention.
    Safe ways to ride a bike to work, school or shopping etc. are few and far between in the USA. It makes so much sense too with the epidemic obesity, diabetes, heart disease, rage and environmental problems we have here in America. I'm sure a separate system would be far cheaper and better for the environment in the long run than what we do now which is basically to hand the keys to the public transportation funds over to the automobile, commercial development and road lobbies.

since 4/10/2009
    Ya gotta admit it's a lot less dangerous to text on a road not exposed to car traffic while on a bicycle than in a car, while driving a train or a large boat etc.
    maybe. but still, someone looking at their cell phone on a bicycle is likely to swerve around the lane, so if you wanted to pass them, you'd run the risk of being hit. it's not going to be a 30+mph collision with tons of metal, but it will be a collision nonetheless.

I just never heard of a MUP system before, Care to elaborate?
    Multi Use Path

tl1
    Bicyclist

Couldn't be much worse

maybe. but still, someone looking at their cell phone on a bicycle is likely to swerve around the lane, so if you wanted to pass them, you'd run the risk of being hit. it's not going to be a 30+mph collision with tons of metal, but it will be a collision nonetheless.

Multi Use Path
    Couldn't be much worse than the blissfully oblivious roller bladers with their earphones in or the self righteous Moms with their baby strollers three abreast on the Multi Use Path.

since 4/10/2009
    Couldn't be much worse than the blissfully oblivious roller bladers with their earphones in or the self righteous Moms with their baby strollers three abreast on the Multi Use Path.

this solves those problems well enough. interestingly enough, I saw a sign on a MUP last weekend that indicated rollerbladers yield to cyclists.

it's about being respectful of other users, really. if you need to check your phone, it's easier to stop your bicycle and pull off the path to check it than to try to do so while riding. and it's safer for fellow trail users.

the stroller crowd...if they block the whole path, they are going to get 115dB of air in their ears at 10ft back. there's a stroller crowd that uses the track at the local university stadium that's really frustrating. when I'm doing interval work, that's usually where I go. faster gets the inside lanes is the general rule. the stroller crowd doesn't care. some idiots even sit and stretch IN the lanes. when stuff like that happens, it's time to get confrontational.

tl1
    Bicyclist

I'm not sure

this solves those problems well enough. interestingly enough, I saw a sign on a MUP last weekend that indicated rollerbladers yield to cyclists.

it's about being respectful of other users, really. if you need to check your phone, it's easier to stop your bicycle and pull off the path to check it than to try to do so while riding. and it's safer for fellow trail users.

the stroller crowd...if they block the whole path, they are going to get 115dB of air in their ears at 10ft back. there's a stroller crowd that uses the track at the local university stadium that's really frustrating. when I'm doing interval work, that's usually where I go. faster gets the inside lanes is the general rule. the stroller crowd doesn't care. some idiots even sit and stretch IN the lanes. when stuff like that happens, it's time to get confrontational.
    I'm not sure how respectful it is to blast someone with "115dB of air in their ears at 10ft back". Especially a sleeping baby that just happens to have an inconsiderate, "me first" self absorbed parent. It seems to me like more of the rude and self-centered behavior that the inconsiderate MUP users are exhibiting. I do have an Air Zound horn myself by the way and know what they sound like at 10 feet.

since 4/10/2009
    depends on the situation. if it's a busy path, and they're moving 3 wide at every opportunity, forcing folks off the path to pass from behind or go around from in front, then yeah. use the horn.

if it's an empty path and I come up from behind quietly, they deserve the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise. courtesy, of course. I will use a polite voice unless I'm intentionally ignored.

Members who have read this thread: 0