Custom commuting jacket- Mtbr.com
    Cheesiest

Custom commuting jacket

Hey All,

I would like to put together a design for a small run of a custom jacket. I'm not very satisfied with others on the market, so I would like to try and give it a go. If others are interested, I would be more than willing to accommodate reasonable design features. I've tried contacting various manufacturers, but overseas production makes it difficult for them to react more dynamically.

I'm not in it for the money, but just want a good jacket to enjoy my winter riding in Seattle.

Thanks

PS-please reply or PM if at all interested

Off the back...
    Sounds cool. Personally, I really like my Craft WS jacket. Opportunities for improvement include:
    - longer sleeves
    - more wind proofing along the zipper
    - more windproofing along the back of the arms and on the back in general
    Other than those points, it's pretty darn good. I notice that you're in Seattle, so I'm assuming this jacket needs to have more waterproof characteristics than insulating. It doesn't really rain much around here, so I may not be able to participate in your design-build process...

Bedwards Of The West
    If my Mountain Hardwear Synchro had a drop tail, it would be the ultimate biking jacket. The sleeves are long enough that it doesn't ride up at all though, so it's only a minor complaint. Softshell is where it's at. If you make the ultimate biking softshell I will buy it. I can't believe the cycling companies haven't jumped all over this technology.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

Off the back...
    The smaller companies making "urban" bike wear seem to be doing a better job than the bigger companies. Swrve, Rapha and a couple of other companies do a decent cycling jacket, but they seem to be horribly expensive or have hoods.

Cheesiest
    I agree that some of the smaller companies have decent products, but if I'm going to pay a premium price and have the opportunity to get the exact features I want...why not do it?

That's my reasoning at least.

mtbr member
    Being a fellow Seattlite, I've ended up having several jackets, shells, but none that do the job well enough to balance into one, and I too think it is possible. If I could borrow elements from several and combine them, I'd be happy.
    I'd say go for it. I have a degree in conceptual design, so if you want input or work-ups, let me know.
    I feel I am being wasteful in my search, and generally afraid to drop major coin on a high-end jacket.

achiever
    I'm with commuterboy about softshells. I have a northface softshell apex bionic that I love. Keeps me warm and dry. Not waterproof but water resistant and hasn't allowed rain in during my six mile trips.

One Colorful Rider
    I have an older Fox Storm Jacket that I find perfect.
    Its Windproof/ Waterproof
    Sealed seams
    Vent Zippers on Front of Each Sleeve and Vent Zippers on back on each side
    Side Pockets on each Side plus Media Pocket on left Chest
    Generous Reflective Strips on Front by Sleeves Vents
    Generous Reflective Strips on Front by Front Pockets
    Generous Reflective Strips on Back on Sides by Back Vents.

My Jacket is also in Bright Red so Easily seen in day
    Very Reflective so easily seen at night.
    Its warm so the hardest part was learning how to layer underneath
    This Jacket is Perfect.

Commuting 4000-5000 miles a year living 40 miles northwest of Chicago

i also unicycle
    Jan 2007
    i ride with an endura luminite jacket, that's fairly reflective and totally waterproof. it's certainly a cooler weather jacket, but it works great, my only complaint is that if i start getting a bit warm, easy to do with an undershirt and a light wool sweater on under, at least from 20-40F, the pit zips don't do much for venting and unzipping from the neck can be too much. i'd like to see a bike commuter jacket with some belly or chest vent zipper, more like a motorcycle jacket.

http://www.endura.co.uk/Product.aspx...22&prod_id=229
    mtbr says you should know: i work in a bike shop.
    bikes & beers (on my blog) http://idontrideenough.blogspot.com/

namagomi
    There is no all-in-one jacket, don't waste your time... you would have better success owning different gear that is cheaper and specialized. The closest I have seen is this jacket. Showers pass also makes a nice one but it isn't as good as that tiagaworks one. If you think you can do it for less then you are probably not counting your own personal time.

Most days a soft shell will be all you need, are you going to ride around in your hard shell sweating up a storm for the rest of the time? You have to pick either one when you start to design this jacket.

Cheesiest
    electrik-Sweet website. I'll bookmark that one!

grandsalmon-I would love to have some input. I work in research, but not product development. I'm currently interested in trying to work modify this jacket (http://integraldesigns.com/product_d...TOKEN=69353986) into a more bike friendly design. The website says that they do semi-custom stuff, but I haven't hear back yet.

Thanks for the comments

mtbr member
    You got it,
    eVent has been somewhat successful, rated the best in regard to breathable waterproofs for now. When I wear it, the utilized garment still needs some heat dump; vents, zips, in places optimal for a cyclist. I'll work on the base example you provided. I share some affinity to a softshell as others above, but when raining hard, ability to stay dry- dry, the clock is just ticking...
    Back at you soon!

Cheesiest
    Quote Originally Posted by grandsalmon
    You got it,
    eVent has been somewhat successful, rated the best in regard to breathable waterproofs for now. When I wear it, the utilized garment still needs some heat dump; vents, zips, in places optimal for a cyclist. I'll work on the base example you provided. I share some affinity to a softshell as others above, but when raining hard, ability to stay dry- dry, the clock is just ticking...
    Back at you soon!
    Sweet! I can't wait to see what you come up with. The plastic bag I'm wearing now motivates me to make this happen.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I have a relatively cheap Da Kine hoodie I wear a lot of the time. It's warmer and more water resistant than my light cycling shell, but a lot more breathable than my Gore-tex one. It basically a cotton-poly sweatshirt with a wind-resistant material bonded to the inside face, so it also sheds water for a little longer. If it's raining more seriously, I just wear the gore-tex one.

I'm not advancing it as better than what you might come up with, but maybe better than what you have (and cheap) while you work on getting a small run of your jacket.

Although, now that I think about it, maybe you'd learn something more useful by pulling the trigger on the Integral Designs jacket and seeing what you think riding it for a while.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

The Brutally Handsome
    I've been using this jacket for near 4 years now and it has gone way beyond my expectations. Has a ton of features that I find very useful but best is how waterproof it continues to be. Thing is awesome!

http://www.showerspass.com/products....roduct=Touring

Cheesiest
    Quote Originally Posted by Sizzler
    I've been using this jacket for near 4 years now and it has gone way beyond my expectations. Has a ton of features that I find very useful but best is how waterproof it continues to be. Thing is awesome!

http://www.showerspass.com/products....roduct=Touring
    I had that jacket for a year and it was okay, but I guess I just sweat a lot. I'm sure their Event jacket works well, but I don't like the fit. I'm just hoping I can do better for a small run of jackets.

Cheesiest
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch

Although, now that I think about it, maybe you'd learn something more useful by pulling the trigger on the Integral Designs jacket and seeing what you think riding it for a while.
    If we want to take up collections to buy one or if Integral wants to provide me with one, I'll be more than happy to be the crash test dummy.

The Brutally Handsome
    I sweat like a suckling pig roasting in a pit-oven, but it still keeps out more water than it draws from my body!

Fat-tired Roadie
    Another $260 cycling shell wouldn't really be a relevant product to me - at the moment, that's a few days' pay if I can even land work.

Anyway, it looks like someone's already making a cycling shell out of eVent, and you can get it for $120.

http://www.backcountryoutlet.com/out...cket-Mens.html

Cheesiest
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch
    Another $260 cycling shell wouldn't really be a relevant product to me - at the moment, that's a few days' pay if I can even land work.

Anyway, it looks like someone's already making a cycling shell out of eVent, and you can get it for $120.

http://www.backcountryoutlet.com/out...cket-Mens.html
    I can understand that. The Cutter jacket looks nice to me, but not the same style or functionality I'm personally after. I'm also planning for this to be a touring/riding jacket for all conditions, not just commuting.

mtbr member
    The Cutter jacket is pretty minimal. The event membrane is mated to thin material, no additional inlay to make a long term, durable choice. It is a great stuffable, "in case" rain jacket.
    Other than that, the designer/s really missed a crossover. Deciding on the "Not Black" color (it is a murky, chocolate brown), the urban/road cyclist is sorta left out safety wise. Why appear unnoticeable? Couldn't have picked a better dim light camouflage. Besides picking a weird purposeless color, there are no reflective hits at all, which don't put off the MTB crowd anyway.

I see I went off-thread here in just responding to the Cutter. It does fill one niche really well: a true "waterproof", breathable jacket with low mass, that you can bring along without worrying about weight and space. It is bike oriented for the medium drop tail and asymmetric cuffs. For the same amount of money (favorable pound to dollar exchange helping), I would rather choose the dhb Wickham eVENT Waterproof Cycling Jacket instead.

I find looking at UK produced stuff like Endura clothing as a stepping stone (mix metaphor coming) to mate with the integral design. The biggest design criteria I will apply, in general, is whether the jacket is going to sufficiently serve as a successful, dependable layer. As intheways points to the requirement: one of the few important pieces to bring touring.
    Last edited by grandsalmon; 02-16-2010 at 08:29 AM.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Quote Originally Posted by grandsalmon
    I see I went off-thread here in just responding to the Cutter. It does fill one niche really well: a true "waterproof", breathable jacket with low mass, that you can bring along without worrying about weight and space. It is bike oriented for the medium drop tail and asymmetric cuffs. For the same amount of money (favorable pound to dollar exchange helping), I would rather choose the dhb Wickham eVENT Waterproof Cycling Jacket instead.
    That's a pretty nice jacket (the Wickham one.)

I think the only feature, beyond being a waterproof jacket with a full zip, that I like in one of mine is the back pocket. I don't mind not being able to get at stuff like my wallet and my multi tool easily in a jersey pocket - if I need one of those, I'm off my bike and can mess around - but it's nice to have at least one back pocket on a cycling jacket for a power bar and maybe my cell phone. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the zipper on my fancier rain jacket doesn't dig into my back when I'm wearing a messenger bag, so I think it's a good feature.

This is yet another thread I shouldn't read while I'm broke.

Cheesiest
    ID ain't down. Guess we need someone else.

Members who have read this thread: 0