Cube Touring Bike- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2018

Cube Touring Bike

Not sure if this is the right subforum for my inquiry, My wife is looking for a bike to use for traveling to work (4 miles approximate travel distance total). We went to our LBS and tried a few. She happens to like the Marin Fairfax 2. Upon my research, I happen to stumble upon Cube Bikes specifically their Nature Pro, any thoughts? How is this vs the Fairfax? It's only lacking a rack but other than that its good to go.

Cube Nature Pro
    https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/.../rp-prod178080

mtbr member
    Cube is a pretty big brand here in Europe. They are known to deliver a very good package for the price. They achieve that by keeping costs low and afaik they do not have their own design department, but build bikes with other technologies by paying for the license.

The frames are usually made cheap and quite heavy, but for that also sturdy. Some hidden parts like ahead set, BB, Crankset, and hubs are usually cheap too and not the best quality.

Now to the bike you posted. The only thing I am not sure about is the fork. Usually low-budget forks dont work too well and are only extra weight. I am not sure if you would need the triple crankset too, but why not. For the purpose you describe it looks good. As you said, put on a simple rack and you're good to go.

Glückauf, CD

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclingdutchman View Post
    Cube is a pretty big brand here in Europe. They are known to deliver a very good package for the price. They achieve that by keeping costs low and afaik they do not have their own design department, but build bikes with other technologies by paying for the license.

The frames are usually made cheap and quite heavy, but for that also sturdy. Some hidden parts like ahead set, BB, Crankset, and hubs are usually cheap too and not the best quality.

Now to the bike you posted. The only thing I am not sure about is the fork. Usually low-budget forks dont work too well and are only extra weight. I am not sure if you would need the triple crankset too, but why not. For the purpose you describe it looks good. As you said, put on a simple rack and you're good to go.

Glückauf, CD
    Appreciate the reply, the only downside I'm seeing with this unit is the weight (close to 35lbs) and also my wife can't test it unlike the Marin Fairfax 2 which she already tried. I don't want to spend a ton of money on a bike since I'm not sure how long she would like to use it. If ever, this will be her first time riding to work.

mbtr member
    My old commute was 17 miles in each direction, my new commute is 5.

With the 17 mile commute i cared about an efficient bike with good top-end gearing... bla bla

...With a 5 mile commute, **** it. A rigid singlespeed is dead simple and lightweight. I spend more time carrying it around, locking it up, and wheeling it behind the house than i do considering the parts spec or maintaining it. It takes like a billion 5 mile commutes to wear out a bicycle (i lube my chain seasonally), so parts spec doesn't matter.

If she likes it, that trumps everything. There's virtue in a simple bike for her application. Sorry i didn't answer your question.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov