Creeps and Weirdos- Mtbr.com
    NDD
    mtbr member

Creeps and Weirdos

dang

mtbr member
    That's not surprising. The auto-industry invented jay-walking, as well. Also, the auto-industry systematically dismantled the nations street-car systems in favor of busses and more space for motorized vehicles. There isn't much the auto-industry hasn't done to marginalize and criminalize those who do not own or choose not to use motorized vehicles. While, at the same time, lobbying for less harsh penalties for drivers that injure or kill others with the vehicles. The gun-lobby wishes it had the power of the auto-industry lobby. If gun related injury and death is a public health issue than so are motorized vehicles; vehicles kill and injure more people than guns in the US. The normalization of vehicle violence is frightening, dangerous, and systemic.

More cars on the road mean more money for industry and government. Both are heavily vested in the revenue streams generated by private motorized vehicles. Further, gov't makes more money on an barely educated driving public than it would a competent driving public. However, nothing will change because the cost of injury and death from motor vehicle violence is far less than the profit the auto-industry generates (projected to be $904 billion worldwide in 2015). According to the CDC, for 2010 the medical cost from motorized vehicle violence was ~$374 million and the "Work Loss Cost" was just over $40.5 billion.

NDD
    mtbr member
    Found Giant's response ad.

Creeps and Weirdos-giant-ad.jpg

Probably old coffee. I think it happened like three years ago.
    dang

Perpetual n00b
    That's just your typical good ol' boy all American FUD marketing campaign playing on the stereotype that all cyclists are broke, effeminate homosexuals. You don't want to look like a broke, effeminate homosexual do you?

I don't agree with that article on the point that bikes "saving money" is universally accepted as a good thing. Sure, on a personal level riding a bike is good for you but in the context of the larger economy saving money is bad. Money saved is money that is not moving through the system, and to keep this stinking ship afloat the money needs to keep moving. The car, food, and healthcare industries keep that money flowing. Sell cars (sedentary lifestyle), sell junk food (disease), and the healthcare industry "solves" the problems caused by the other industries.

Say you were trying to sell your bike business to a city and promised you'd bring in $90 million dollars a year. Then the car, food, healthcare industries come in and promise to bring in billions of dollars a year. Which one do you think they'll give preference? With the latter, they'll bring more jerbs and tax revenue and opportunity for growth. There will still be a bike sector in that city but no one will give a crap about it (unless you live in Portland).

Reality does suck.
    The leg bone's connected to the Cash Bone!

mtbr member
    Good find! I'm glad that they pointed out that the Auto Industry has a strong hand behind keeping funding and promotion for non-motorized transportation, and had the info to back it up.

NDD
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dgw2jr View Post
    That's just your typical good ol' boy all American FUD marketing campaign playing on the stereotype that all cyclists are broke, effeminate homosexuals. You don't want to look like a broke, effeminate homosexual do you?

Reality does suck.
    Let's just say I ain't gay, but I definitely ain't no macho bro-dude. And I'm a broke college student. GM really doesn't want my business.

Texan, the auto industry and oil industry also have a say in planning roads. In the end, roads become less efficient since they're designing them. They wouldn't design the roads to use less fuel. That'd be less profit.
    dang

mtbr member
    Actually, many of the roads are designed by traffic engineers to allow as many vehicles as possible. I've known for years that they had their hands in it, but when you talk to friends about it, or share articles on Facebook, you gotta have that backup data.
    Bourbon: Because no good story ever started with "So, there we were eating salads".

NDD
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Texan-n-Fla View Post
    Actually, many of the roads are designed by traffic engineers to allow as many vehicles as possible. I've known for years that they had their hands in it, but when you talk to friends about it, or share articles on Facebook, you gotta have that backup data.
    I've read about this somewhere, but in searching for resources again I think this might have been a factoid retained from my conspiracy theory days. I thought I had purged most of that... Sorry.
    dang

guy
    Was anyone else actually offended by these ads? I think I'm generally pretty hard to offend, but I thought both ads were tacky and classless, especially the bus ad, and I don't even ride the bus. But what does GM have to lose? Cyclists never buy cars or trucks, right? All mountain biking and road races are within pedaling distance.

mtbr member
    I never use my van to SAG for friends, either.
    Bourbon: Because no good story ever started with "So, there we were eating salads".

NDD
    mtbr member
    I really was, to be honest. Nobody should have to be embarrassed or ashamed because they ride their bike or the bus. That's why we all get ticked when people tell us we shouldn't be on the road or we should drive cars like grown ups.

I think the creeps and weirdos thing is the worst thought. I feel like it's a direct attack on poor people. Rich creeps drive cars and poor creeps ride the bus, but that's just because rich people drive and poor people can't afford a car to drive in.
    dang

since 4/10/2009
    those ads are quite offensive, and I think I recall writing to GM about the college student one. I hadn't seen the bus one before, though. that one's far worse. I'd ride the bus if the system actually worked better. as it is, I can get across town faster on my bike. driving certain places is a royal pain

Jonesin'
    The car lobby is apparently nervous.

Per the article, "In the last year, Nashville TN spent roughly 60% of their local transportation budget on walking, biking and public transit infrastructure."

That's a stat that would keep an auto (or oil) industry executive awake at night, and wetting the bed.

If someone had real money, they wouldn't be shopping for a GM, lol.
    Don't let it get you down, but there's a good chance you were an accident.
    2017 SC 5010

Moderator Moderator
    You guys are so lucky. If we see "creeps and weirdos" in the women's lounge, there are abductions, murders, gropers, etc. in the offing.

weirdo
    Kind of gives weirdos a bad rap.
    Recalculating....

Moderator Moderator
    ^^OK, rodar, I should have excepted you from my rant!

mtbr member
    Weirdo? Wasn't he a Marx Brother? Groucho, Harpo, Chico, Zeppo, and Weirdo?

I guess I'm a card-carrying, non-molesting sort of Weirdo who likes bikes and proud of it!