crazy bike....- Mtbr.com

Thread: crazy bike....

I'm attracted to Gravity!

crazy bike....

I have a 12 mile round trip commute to school to study Mechanical Engineering.....
    After a few weeks of riding with all my big books in a pack (which I knew was a bad idea) I finally ordered an OMM Sherpa and also recently got a Cilogear 40 Liter Worksack. The pack is a high end alpine mountaineering pack, and is a nice size to fit everything I need for bike commuting and school stuff (think big textbooks). Also, why buy panniers then have to transition stuff into a pack once you get there?
    This is the current setup, but I'll probably get a 4 gallon square bucket on there soon so I don't have to strap the pack directly onto the rack.
    It is super nice having the weight off my back.

(also, I built the wheels and sewed the frame pack, and it is set up for one footed pedaling since I'm working through chronic tendonitis in my left calf - see last pic for setup)

weirdo
    Redcloud, you`ve got one crankarm and just a footpeg mounted to the other side somehow? That`s cool! I`m glad you had enough desire to pedal that you found a way to make it work for you! Did you figure out the footpeg mounting yourself? Could you shoot us a closeup? And are there any other mods or considerations you had to deal with in order to facilitate your one legged approach?
    Recalculating....

the downtube is 32mm so I mounted a 31.8mm stem to it then chopped a steerer tube off an old broken fork for a foot peg. You need a toe clip or clipless pedal on the other side, and gears are really helpful. My old mtb is set up like this too, with a 22x36 low gear on a 26" wheel! It is limited in tech terrain, but better than doing nothing.
    If your right leg was bad you'd have to chop the arm off a right side crank so you could keep the spider and gears........

mtbr member
    I like the weatherproof study guide mount.

the study guide was inspired by map mounts used for the Tour Divide and such.
    Here is a close up on the old mtb

And, Cinnamon Pass, one footed. I walked a lot above 11,400 ft....
    But it was worth it.

The other point worth noting is you really want the stem for the one footed mount as long as possible. One bike has a 100mm and it is a little short, I bought a 120 mm just for this use, but would really prefer a 130 or 140. It is hard to find long oversized stems for the right price. Ideally I'd want the stem chopped and have an angled piece welded in, to get the peg more underneath the BB and further back from the front wheel, but hopefully I'll be better soon enough to not warrant doing that.

weirdo
    Redcloud, you rock!
    Nice pictures, too.
    Recalculating....

Members who have read this thread: 0