Craigslist commuter pics- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Craigslist commuter pics

I was looking through the "post your commuter pics" thread and noticed that the majority of the bikes were new and shiny. Yet when anyone ask the question "what would make a good commuter" the overwhelming majority answers "CL mountain bike".
    So post up some pics of these recycled rigs! I for one would love to see what ppl are finding for under $300.

Novice Rider
    May 2012
    Here's my $170 CL find. 2004 DB XSL COMP

I need to take new pics of it today though when I'm out riding.

mtbr member
    $50. Cleaned her up and everything spins great but I still need to put new tubes and tires on it before she's ready to ride.

Are you a Happy Mutant?

mtbr member
    Very nice! I went to check out a few bikes today but non turned out to be big enough.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by oromis View Post
    Very nice! I went to check out a few bikes today but non turned out to be big enough.
    That's funny because 90% of what I found around southeast Iowa were large frames.
    Are you a Happy Mutant?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MotoX33 View Post
    $50. Cleaned her up and everything spins great but I still need to put new tubes and tires on it before she's ready to ride.
    Cool bike, cool back yard. Thousands of years from now, in the same way we look and ponder easter island and stonehenge, our decendants will look at the amazing monuments and layout of your collection and wonder at how we plotted the movement of planets and mapped the stars. Pos rep

Fat-tired Roadie
    Craig's List road bikes okay?

20110113144747 by Andrew183, on Flickr

I got this one for $95 in 2009. I eventually broke the frame and I'm riding something a bit more expensive now.

The rack and fenders were my additions.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    DeathPhoenix99: I saw a bike just like yours on my local CL listed for $395. You got a steal!!! The local poster may be a little high on his price too though.

Road bikes are okay too. I have been looking for a cheap mountain bike to convert though.

mtbr member
    I finally found something that will work Trek 6000. The back wheel is toast but I think I have an extra in the attic. I got it for $50. It's got LX components and the headset and bottom bracket are silky smooth. I need to get rid of that love-seat-of-a-saddle and put something slimmer on there. I have a rigid fork but I might leave the original fork for a while as it makes me laugh. It is only about 2" of travel but it says "long travel". hahaha.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Craigslist commuter pics-trex-6000.jpg  

Last edited by oromis; 05-12-2012 at 04:55 PM.

crap magnet

Bianchi Rush Hour

Not a mtb, but still a CL commuter. Best bike related $100 I've ever spent. Even my uber-frugal better half didn't put up a fight
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Craigslist commuter pics-b8b094ad.jpg  

Last edited by cdaddy; 05-13-2012 at 02:36 PM.
    When you find yourself on the side of the majority it's time to pause and reflect.
    -Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Found a 1995 GT Timberline for $50. Anyone know if the old school Rock Shox Judy will fit on that?Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336931956.438441.jpg
Views: 786
Size:  25.3 KB

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336931976.490330.jpg
Views: 665
Size:  13.9 KB

mtbr member
    Oooh, ooooh! Here's mine!

1998 GT Timberline that I picked up for $75 a couple of years ago. It looked more like a mtn bike when I got it. I changed the stem, bars, fork, wheels, and added the racks.

mtbr member
    Wow these are some great finds. I have my first commute to work tuesday. Monday I am going to clean out my locker to make room for shoes my bag. I may try and talk to my manager about putting the bike somewhere in the back of the store. Although I don't have a bunch of money invested in this thing I still don't want it swiped after the work I have put into it.

Djork what kind of bars are those?

mtbr member
    Oromis, the bar is a Dimension brand bar I got from Jenson. I forget the model name, but you can easily find it on the Jenson or Ebikestop website. They're nice cruiser-type bar and pretty cheap too. Has a nice rise and a sweep for casual city riding. This is actually my grocery-getter and not a dedicated commuter. I have since replaced all quick releases with bolt-ons and have put a Wald golding basket in the back. It's now rolling on Sun Rhyno Lites/XT wheels. This bike can carry stuff! I wanted some beefier wheels to handle the load. I'm sure the Rhynos are overkill, but I got a good deal from Jenson.

Here's another pic.

mtbr member
    Not craigslist, but the frame/fork/wheels/seatpost/handlebar were $30 from the local bike co-op.

The goal was rigid, steel, horizontal dropouts for SSing, and with plenty of clearance for bigapples.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Yeah, I ride an early 2000's Specialized Hardrock as my bike commuter and keep looking less than shiny and attractive for all the people in Downtown Phoenix that might be interested in making it their new cargo van.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    My $20 "vintage" according to the po steel frame commuter I got today if anyone can tell me what and the hell it is exactly i would appreciate it.

that a b on the head tube says friendly along the top tube then the theres a seahorse and its says Producted (not produced i had to triple check) by friendly.
    If you have sex in a car with airbags....does that count as safe sex???

mtbr member
    ^^ I wonder if the Friendly Bicycle Shop in Hong Kong ever made or badged frames? The word 'producted' sounds like a non-native English speaker to me. The Sea Horse is an unusual bike logo. I suppose if they have an e-mail address you can ask.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    hm that more to go on then i had will look into theres another tag higher on the seat tube that i can't read it turned black for some reason

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    something i didn't think about is there a particular brand that starts their serial numbers with SG followed by 6 numbers?

oddly enough there appears to be a social sercurity number and someones initials engraved into the bottom bracket also

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    pedals are also kyokuto top-run

if i google friendly bicycle company i get a zillion pages on companies that are bike friendly and cities and universities nothing useful

Moderator Moderator
    ^^ Yeah, not a familiar brand to me either, but engraving the ss# was recommended in the past, I had that on my 70's Peugeot; today we'd be more worried about the bike thief becoming an identity thief.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    i found matching pedals on ebay the pedals also have kkt tp on them by the spindle
    where it threads into the crank

Members who have read this thread: 0