Cracked Frame today on commute need advice- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2014

Upset Cracked Frame today on commute need advice

Like the title says my frame cracked on my commute home today. All of a sudden weird noises and slight drag on the rear wheel so I stop. Quick release seems loose so I tighten. Try to get going same thing, walk the next 1/4 mile home lucky. Grab the work stand tighten the quick release again replaced the chain since I hadn't done it since the spring and thought that's where the drag was coming from. Took the bike for a test drive and have a popping noise that still felt like it was coming from the drivetrain that wasn't happening when in the stand. Put it back up in the stand took the rear wheel off thinking the freehub had come loose or something and felt the derailleur move A LOT. checked the hanger it was loose so I tightened it and finally saw this crack (well complete failure) in the drop out. Bike in a box anyone? Going to try to get to get a warranty frame on the Kona but for now I'll ride the trek may convert it to drop bars later in the week. 700cs won't fit under the fork of the trek so I can't switch to the studded tires for now.

I have been looking at surly troll and ogre frames for about year but couldn't pull the tigger as my frame was still working for me. I want to run drop bars on either frame. I am leaning towards the troll as I could run larger 26" tires but I would like to run 700c tires up to 40 mm.

So finally to the question, what would you choose a troll or an ogre and am taking suggestions on size? The Kona Jake was a 56cm so I think an 18" troll is what I would be looking at.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cracked Frame today on commute need advice-image.jpg  

Cracked Frame today on commute need advice-image.jpg  

Cracked Frame today on commute need advice-image.jpeg  

Bedwards Of The West
    Ogre Ogre Ogre Ogre Ogre Ogre Ogre Ogre
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)