A couple questions on tools for the commuter- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007

A couple questions on tools for the commuter

Hey guys,

I just picked up a new commuter (IRO Mark V Singlespeed) for commuting, and so far I love the bike. I'm used to working on my mountain bikes, and could use some help making sure I get the right tools to work on my bike in the future.

I normally run hydraulic brakes, external BB cranks, and other mtb parts that make the road stuff a bit of a mystery. Anyway, I took some pictures to make this more interesting and help me get pointed in the right direction.

#1 Bottom bracket + Cranks.

The bike has a "square taper" crankset, and a 20 spline BB. So to be sure, it looks like I will need a park "CCP-22 Crank Puller for Square Taper Cranks" and a park bbt-32 20 spline bottom bracket tool, sound right?

#2 Freewheel

The bike has 4 notched freewheel, I am not exactly sure what type. ( Because I know nothing about freewheels) I tried to take a picture, but it doesn't really show the detail, but I will post it regardless. My question is what freewheel tool do I need? I have narrowed it down to park fr-6 or fr-8, and I am unable to determine which I need.

The hubs are IRO, but from what I read are formula branded IRO. Maybe one of you knows off the top of your head which tool is needed, otherwise I can always email the company, who I might add have been excellent so far.

#3 Spokes

The last question is about spokes, I have always had my wheels trued for me, but I'd like to do that myself. I will likely try the method of truing the wheels on the bike, and soon buy a TS-2 to mount to my table. Which park spoke wrench size/color do I need, are they fairly universal? I included a picture but I'm not sure if that helps.

I appreciate all the help, and will take any advice I'm offered.

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    1. yes that should be the right crank puller because that looks to be a standard port for a square taper crankset

2. im not sure what kind of freewheel that is so ima say its a standard four prong so get a four prong tool(not the narrow mini bmx type!)

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...ool+Fr-6C.aspx <-------- that is what you want

just remember to take off the nut and put the freewheel remover into the four prong holes and then but the nut bake on (not to tight not to lose) over the FW remover

3.take your wheel to a bike shop and they will tell you the size and which one to buy , im not good with spokes and nipples
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Buy all the different sizes, they're cheap. And if you get good at truing wheels you can do other people's wheels for beer.

LCI #1853
    I carry a Park MTB-3 multi-tool, along with an extra pair of tire levers and a small pair of needle-nosed pliers. That lets me fix most anything that comes up along the road or trail; I can pretty much takea bike apart and put it back together again with one of those things. For bikes with nutted axles, I usually have a Surly Tool in the bag as well, but it gets used as much or more for the bottle opener than anything else ;-)
    Ride a mountain bike... you will not regret it if you live.
    (with apologies to Mark Twain & The Taming of the Bicycle)

Members who have read this thread: 0