Cool Urban Internal Geared- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Cool Urban Internal Geared

My Novara Transfer is on it's last leg, and I'm looking for an "Uber-Cool" commuter bike for my short (but aggressive) commute in Munich. My only requirements are an internally geared hub and something that I can buy pre-assembled (no desire to build something up).

I like the Biomega, but hate the drag of the Nexus and know the shaft drive to be even worse.

Everyone likes the Merlin Newsboy, but that is way too cool (and slack) for an aggressive commute. Besides, I’d worry too much about it getting stolen.

Not a Cannondale fan, but I like the lines of the Bad Boy 8, and they are easy to find around here… Unless someone points out something else, this is what I will probably go with.

I’ve always chosen function over style, so I’m in uncharted territory here. I like to ride rain or shine, and I’d like to be able to attach a baby seat to the seat-tube…

Thanks in advance, and remember: Internally geared, pre-assembled.

G.

local trails rider
    http://www.nicolai.net/products/e-fr...r.html#argontr

You are welcome
    Now you have just one difficulty: picking the color.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Old thread, but may still have pertinent info.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...ghlight=alfine

Jul 2009
    Bad Boy 8 is superb. The 2009 models have reverted to external cable routing due to water ingress problems. Frame is new too. This years XL equals last years L in top tube length whilst seat tube length is similar (+5mm). If you're 6ft+ go XL.

Whilst at it, I'd advise against suspension-less models. Go with the Ultra. It makes a huge difference on bad/gravel roads. The rigid ones are bone shattering. According to my dealer they have now sorted most problems with the Fatty, due mostly to a cartridge problem. You can lock it out.

Alfine is simply superb. The shifting has an ease and quietness/precision that makes derailleurs feel antiquated and being able to change gear whilst standing still is cool. If you push big gears regularely you may want to consider changing the rear cog to a smaller one. I find I rarely use 1 and 2.

On the subject of the Nicolai mentioned here, I like it but it is very expensive and I don't think routing cables under the top tube is the best way if you, like me, have to carry the thing up and down stairs.

Good luck.

No-Brakes Cougar
    I'm not sure of how easy it would be to obtain either of these models in Deutschland or if they're even the kind of thing you're looking for, but these are what come to mind:

Scattante Roma Classico - http://www.performancebike.com/bikes..._1072887_-1___

Bianchi Milano Parco - http://www.bianchiusa.com/09-bicycle...ano-parco.html
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 – May 16, 2010

Ovaries on the Outside
    I like Masi's Soulville. Don't know if you can get them in Germany or not.

Lets RIDE!
    Holy complexity, batman! What the heck is going on at the back end of that Nicolai frame? (click on the rear hub area to zoom in)

JZ
    It's not about speed, it's about lack of control.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Quote Originally Posted by JimZinVT
    Holy complexity, batman! What the heck is going on at the back end of that Nicolai frame? (click on the rear hub area to zoom in)

JZ
    That is so you can replace the belt.

No-Brakes Cougar
    Quote Originally Posted by umarth
    That looks both ingenious and prone to an epic fail at the same time.
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 – May 16, 2010

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    Engineer : "im sure it wont break , Ive linked all the pieces together"
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Nice, thanks for the help, esp the list ryball.

The Nicolai rear triangle is sweet, but another favorite is the Ellsworth The Ride (forgot to mention earler) around the same pricepoint and yet more 'too cool for school'.

I like the Charge and Spot bikes, and a great review Drummer. Here in EU we have the Bad Boy 8 Ultra Special Edition white with a cool lefty, it's the one I think I'm going with: http://gb.cannondale.com/bikes/09/ce/model-9BS8W.html
    The parts don't match the price, but aesthetically it is just perfection and yet still conventional.

I usually buy my bikes in the States as I travel there often, so thanks for the variety of offers.

I have never spent stupid money on a commuter like this (already have 4 bikes), but it further justifies my leaving the car at home for the daily commute. Something I've been pretty good at for the last year.

G.

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by umarth
    An extra (cost) option... I think Nicolai has been working on a better solution for the belt-compatible dropout.

*** bit pricey, but not nearly as pricey as a gold plated fixie ***

Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Gringo

I like the Charge and Spot bikes, and a great review Drummer. Here in EU we have the Bad Boy 8 Ultra Special Edition white with a cool lefty, it's the one I think I'm going with: http://gb.cannondale.com/bikes/09/ce/model-9BS8W.html
    The parts don't match the price, but aesthetically it is just perfection and yet still conventional.

G.
    ... and why not, cool bike, just don't forget to buy a GOOD lock. I'm sure you have noticed but the special edition comes with 26" wheels not the 700c's. Just a thought. Enjoy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    check out Swobo http://www.swobo.com/bikes/collection/

simple and smokin

mtbr member
    I really like the road bike with disk brakes. Some of those are sweet, but to MTB'y.

What do you guys think of the Charge Mixer?

https://www.chargebikes.com/products...tail.php?id=15

sofa king awsm
    Sep 2008
    ^
    Whoa. That looks amazing. I'd quadruple lock that thing.
    Baby, I want my face to be your quiver killer.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I really like the track style of bike, I just want a bit more comfort for my lazy afternoons with the handle bars at least equal in height to the saddle.

G.

Ovaries on the Outside
    [QUOTE=joshed]I really like the road bike with disk brakes. Some of those are sweet, but to MTB'y.

What do you guys think of the Charge Mixer/QUOTE]

Ok, so my question is whether a road bike needs more than one disc brake. I've ridden a KM for months at a time with a bb7 in front and it stopped faster that two road calipers, especially when wet. A front disc and an IGH? Five minutes of maintenance a month.

Jan 2010

M or L?

Trying to figure out if I
    Last edited by aleman; 01-25-2010 at 04:15 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Torker Graduate

I just bought a Torker Graduate. Only $500! If you want something similar but has slightly better components and a belt drive look at the 2010 Trek Soho.

Members who have read this thread: 0