Converting Specialized Rockhopper- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2017

Converting Specialized Rockhopper

Hello all. I have a Specialized Rockhopper Sport 29er with a blown fork that I havenít been riding since I got a FS trail bike. I have decided to convert it to a commuter/urban bike. I have ordered a rigid fork and slicks for it. Additionally I have an 80mm 0deg stem lying around that I will swap onto the bike to replace the 70mm 6deg stem currently on it. Is there anything else you all would recommend?

My commute is mostly bike lane and shoulder that is fairly rough starts out suburban and becomes more urban as I get closer to work.

Guidosan
    Jan 2004
    Not sure if you need anything to carry things. I find a rack with panniers very useful as I hated using a backpack. I also use a small handlebar bag to put my access badge in for easy access when I get to work.
    Will you need fenders and what about headlights and taillights? I recommend at least two lights in the back. I have had a taillight go out on a ride, and I didn't know I had no rear light until I got home.
    Also, when I converted a mtn bike to a commuter, I found the gearing was not the greatest. I ended up getting more road gears as the mtn bike gears were too low to be practical.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Fenders shouldnít be a factor since 1) I live in the desert (rain is rare and I will likely just drive those days, and 2) I have access to showers at work. I already have lights, will definitely consider a rack. The bike has a 44 tooth big ring (3x8) and an 11-32 cassette. When I have ridden on the street with knobby tires the small chainring was useless but I only spun out the big ring on fast downhills. I imagine it will be faster with slicks so we will see. The handlebar bag for access badge sounds like a great idea since I am in the military and need my ID to get on base.

Thanks for the suggestions!!!

Guidosan
    Jan 2004
    Sounds like you are pretty much set. As you ride, you will see if any other changes are needed. Your gearing seems to be borderline but doable. Once you get the slicks on, see if you feel like you are always in the top end of the gearing and not really using a majority of the low gears. At this point it is all about how you want to ride and what is comfortable for you.
    Enjoy, the commute. What branch are you with?

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Thanks! I am with the Air Force.

Guidosan
    Jan 2004
    Bronx, sweet and thanks for serving. My son is in the Army back east.