Converting a hard tail to commuter.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2014

Converting a hard tail to commuter.

I have a Cannondale F300 and I haven't been riding it off-road really much now (school). I need it to be converted to a commuter I ride 9 miles rt. I will ride in the winter. I want to buy from Amazon, and I have a bike shop near me.

Converting a hard tail to commuter.-image.jpg

RAKC
    Basically what I did, old trek ht I bought cheap. Service all bearings and replace grease with marine grease, get road tires comfy seat, lights and ride it

If u feel the need for a rack, grab one. Fenders good too.

Beyond that make sure ur gear is bright and reflective for safety.

Sent from my Nokia Stupidphone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
    Basically what I did, old trek ht I bought cheap. Service all bearings and replace grease with marine grease, get road tires comfy seat, lights and ride it

If u feel the need for a rack, grab one. Fenders good too.

Beyond that make sure ur gear is bright and reflective for safety.

Do you have any recommended items on amazon?

P.S I googled Nokia Stupidphone.

mtbr member

Converting a hard tail to commuter.

Quote Originally Posted by N0WBIE View Post

Usual stuff you would do anyway. Make sure shifters are in good condition, switch out cables and housing, clean chain and the like. Replace your pads to make sure you can stop on a dime. Figure out your situation, with clothes, backpack, and the like. I keep my uniforms and work boots at the office, and commute in my usual clothes. I don't have to worry about lunch since I'm out in the field all day and can swing by the house to grab a bite when I need to.

Think about a shower or some bath wipes for when you get there. Important thing there. Never forget your underwear, always charge your lights, and fenders are worth their weight in gold.
    Bourbon: Because no good story ever started with "So, there we were eating salads".

mtbr member
    those look like decent tires. Skinnier, faster tires make commuting easier. They have a 1.5 tire that can handle 100psi that I want to try out too. Fenders, maybe some toe clips, lights. Rear light that blinks. Brightest front light you can afford if you're gonna ride in fog/rain/dark at all. Don't know what winters are like in your area. Eventually you might want studded tires or just run what you got at as low of a pressure as possible without getting pinch flat. Get a bag or something to carry a tube and basic tools. That seat looks REALLY low. Maybe that's what fits you but if you're not riding off road, run your saddle as high as you can without having to rock your hips.

RAKC

The PS made me laugh lol. I nodded my sig on tapatalk to say that lol.

Amazon has about everything, all parts I bought for mine I got on amazon and were prime eligible lol. Still gotta get fenders for mine.....

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by shining_trapezoid View Post
    those look like decent tires. Skinnier, faster tires make commuting easier. They have a 1.5 tire that can handle 100psi that I want to try out too. Fenders, maybe some toe clips, lights. Rear light that blinks. Brightest front light you can afford if you're gonna ride in fog/rain/dark at all. Don't know what winters are like in your area. Eventually you might want studded tires or just run what you got at as low of a pressure as possible without getting pinch flat. Get a bag or something to carry a tube and basic tools. That seat looks REALLY low. Maybe that's what fits you but if you're not riding off road, run your saddle as high as you can without having to rock your hips.
    I live in Suburban Chicago and you know last winter...

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by shining_trapezoid View Post
    Is this high enough? Or too high?

You have any recommended lights?

mtbr member
    I use 2 cateye HL EL 540 front light and its plenty bright at nite

mtbr member
    Is this high enough? Or too high?

You have any recommended lights?
    Hard to say from that photo, would really need to see your leg from the side. Check out this article:

How to get your seat height right - BikeRadar

Unless you're doing really technical riding/DH/FR, you should have your seat at that height explained in that article. Might feel awkward at first if you're used to a really low seat, but it's the most efficient.

As far as lights go, depends how much you want to spend, depends how much light output you need, etc. Personally in the winter when I'm riding in the dark, I run two taillights, one on my helmet and one on either my seatstay or seat bag (or you can do seatpost, I can't because my seat bag is too big and I have short legs so I don't have too much seatpost showing). I also run two headlights, one flashing and one solid.

If you search this forum, you'll find a ton of threads of lights, it's probably the most common thread of the commuting forum.

I have this taillight x 2
    Amazon.com : NiteRider Solas Tail Light : Bike Headlights : Sports & Outdoors

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I got slick tires.

I'd rather be on my bike
    I really like the Serfas Thunderbolt for a taillight. I run that one on mine and have gotten compliments that it is really visible at night. Niterider Lumina 350 up front for me which is pretty good, especially on the high setting for really dark roads. Living in Chicago, I would imagine that you don't have those. Don't chintz out on lights if you plan on riding at night. Spend the money and get something good up front. Anything less will be a waste, and you will end up spending more in the long run.
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.