Converting 97 Rockhopper FS to a commuter- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2016

Converting 97 Rockhopper FS to a commuter

Really need some advice on how to make my rockhopper a little more nimble around town.

My current setup:
    Converting 97 Rockhopper FS to a commuter-20160828_204229_resized.jpg

First thing specifically I'd like to do is replace the fork with a rigid fork and what good steelies are out there?

I'm also concerned about the geometry, I feel like im riding too far away from the handle bars. I probably just need to move the saddle up, but is there anything telltale anyone can see from the pictures that i might be doing wrong with the configuration?

The original saddle isnt much for going but a few miles with and would like to replace it with something more comfortable any suggestions from commuting sages out there?

Also any advice in general would be much appreciated.
    Thanks!

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    The is a good chance the bolt holding your seat in place is loose. It looks like your seat has slid all the way back on the rails. This may be why your feel stretched out, and is likely to cause damage to the seat rails.

Two Wheeled Terror
    Quote Originally Posted by planzeres View Post
    Really need some advice on how to make my rockhopper a little more nimble around town.

My current setup:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160828_204229_resized.jpg 
Views:	442 
Size:	261.4 KB 
ID:	1090711

First thing specifically I'd like to do is replace the fork with a rigid fork and what good steelies are out there?

I'm also concerned about the geometry, I feel like im riding too far away from the handle bars. I probably just need to move the saddle up, but is there anything telltale anyone can see from the pictures that i might be doing wrong with the configuration?

The original saddle isnt much for going but a few miles with and would like to replace it with something more comfortable any suggestions from commuting sages out there?

Also any advice in general would be much appreciated.
    Thanks!
    You could look into one of the ebay Chinese forks. I run one for commuting made by vaya. It's an aluminum stem and carbon fork. Rides pretty smooth and it's fairly tough. I weigh 200 and take it on offroad terrain and it has not broken or even creaked. They run about 75 bucks. It is a disc only so you would need to invest in a new brake setup for the front but it is an option.

For a steel fork I would look for one of the surly or a nashbar fork.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk